Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Are you sure it's been released for users to download? From what i've been reading the UI version will be out later this year. Although i/e seen previews/videos of the meego UI for phones, i didn't think it had actually been released yet for users to test.

The development preview is out now

http://meego.com/community/blogs/valhalla/2010/meego-handset-project-day-1-here

but this is only a development preview (i.e. Alpha or even pre-Alpha) and not for users.

From the bits I've read it includes the the UI framework but is missing some core functionality like the full GSM stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Sounds like the n900 isnt the right phone for you. Many people prefer the n900 for its flexibility in terms of hackability and that it has a physical keyboard and more memory than the iphone. The nitdroid Android port is moving quickly and will probably get thdere in a few months, then theres MeeGo coming in Q4 and more importantly the Qt development framework is available now so we should start seeing more apps coming onstream soon since Qt supports S60 and Maemo/Meego. if these dont interest you then I'd recommend selling your n900 while it's still worth a bit.

if what doesn't interest me, apps? The whole point of my post was the lack of apps. So if, as you say, there is more apps coming onstream soon then that's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Are you sure it's been released for users to download? From what i've been reading the UI version will be out later this year. Although i/e seen previews/videos of the meego UI for phones, i didn't think it had actually been released yet for users to test.

Yup, definitely out. Would be only really useful for developers though with the lack of apps at the moment. If you're just curious to see how it looks so far check on Youtube but chances are the look will change too as things go on.

Anyone tried this yet for overclocking?

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone tried this yet for overclocking?

Yup,its class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

QCPUFreq

To get anything over 600mhz I need to flash my kernel or something first right?

Seems this is just for power saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Okay after overclocking for awhile i realized i had a problem. After deinstalling the kernel the problem went away.

The music player stutters alot more with the kernel modification, But works perfectly without it.

Not sure if its just me. Anyone else having a problem like this.

P.S i just had the ideal config loaded. 500mhz - 850mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thor wrote: »
    Okay after overclocking for awhile i realized i had a problem. After deinstalling the kernel the problem went away.

The music player stutters alot more with the kernel modification, But works perfectly without it.

Not sure if its just me. Anyone else having a problem like this.

P.S i just had the ideal config loaded. 500mhz - 850mhz.

I noticed the opposite really, my music would stutter a good bit when i was multitasking with music playing, but now with the "ideal" config this rarely happens. The only time it happens is when i'm running something else that's cpu intensive with the music player.
    From what i've read though, not all n900's overclock the same, some will take it better than others.

Just came across blessN900, which is an alternate camera application and it seems to give better quality pictures in low light environments than the standard camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

matrim wrote: »
    Just came across blessN900, which is an alternate camera application and it seems to give better quality pictures in low light environments than the standard camera.

I've been using that for a while now and it seems to make a significant difference, especially indoors. I took a few photos with and without it on and you could definitely see a truer colour.
    I've also overclocked to 900Mhz (as per Alanstrainor's method in a previous post) and I'm very pleased with the results - surprisingly, my battery actually lasts longer, though I haven't really compared like with like on usage as such. I had it set previously set at 850Mhz via instructions on Maemo and liked the extra speed. I'm enjoying experimenting with this phone although I have nowhere near the knowledge of some people on this thread.

• Advertisement

got that blessn900 app, is it just for use in low light, or would you be better off using it the whole time?

podge018 wrote: »
    got that blessn900 app, is it just for use in low light, or would you be better off using it the whole time?

Think it's for anything, but is particularly good for low light and HDR
    You can now take images of high dynamic range scenes (the scenes that have both highlight and shadow areas). BlessN900 will capture a HDR image, ensuring that you do not get clipped areas and do not lose details in highlight and shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

I have a problem with mine at the moment.

When someone rings my phone it takes quite a few seconds for the phone to actually ring. I'm not sure when this started, but it is quite annoying and it causes me to miss quite a few calls.

I've tested it myself and it takes about 3 or 4 rings (from the phone ringing my phone) before the phone will actually ring. The phone actually lights up immediately but the phone app takes until the 4th ring to load.

I had installed the Kernel for Power Users for overclocking and have since reverted to the stock kernel but no joy, I still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah well, tis the end of the N900 road for me. Got a Samsung Galaxy S today. Must admit to being very impressed with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah well, tis the end of the N900 road for me. Got a Samsung Galaxy S today. Must admit to being very impressed with it so far.

Really? Slashgear weren't:
    More worryingly, whatever Samsung has done to the ROM has introduced numerous points of lag and even freezing.
    Lag isn’t the only problem we’ve had, either. The Galaxy S has randomly lost our email inbox in the time we’ve been using it – requiring inputing all our Exchange settings again, and performing a full sync – and the camera app has crashed a couple of times, refusing to load until we power-cycled the phone. Elsewhere, the UI is simply frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just had it a few hours so far. I have found it to be extremely polished so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

right lads have a problem with mine now (first one and have it since feb!) when i plug in my charger it doesnt charge, then if i reboot it it starts charging up to yesterday, now have problems rebooting.. the nokia screen comes up then the dots go across the screen then it repeats itself but doesnt get to the welcome screen, i finally got it to reboot by plugging it in to usb cable to computer and holding down u button on keyboard while pressing power button..
    any ideas lads?
    is reflash only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    right lads have a problem with mine now (first one and have it since feb!) when i plug in my charger it doesnt charge, then if i reboot it it starts charging up to yesterday, now have problems rebooting.. the nokia screen comes up then the dots go across the screen then it repeats itself but doesnt get to the welcome screen, i finally got it to reboot by plugging it in to usb cable to computer and holding down u button on keyboard while pressing power button..
    any ideas lads?
    is reflash only option?

Reflash may not be the only option, but it's got the highest probability of fixing the problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Anyone here using the CA-146C adapter? I was relying on it exclusively while away on holidays and often found that the phone was actually losing power whilst "charging" with either mains or car charger 2mm Nokia plug attached to the CA-146C. I sometimes had to power down my phone to get it to charge up in a reasonable time (e.g. had it charging for 5 hours with no increase in charge). I guess this thing delivers a much lower charge than using a direct charger without the adapter.

I use that adapter in the office, works fine for me. I'm often charging and using it at the same time and it still increases the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I guess this thing delivers a much lower charge than using a direct charger without the adapter.

Maybe it's simply particularly unsuited for phones with larger batteries/relatively high power consumption, but it was useless on my N97, and i didn't try on my N900 expecting no improvement.

didn't think I'd have to say it in an n900 thread but I'm using in on my n900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Reflash may not be the only option, but it's got the highest probability of fixing the problem imo.

issue with charging and rebooting seems to have fixed itself*! now thats wht this is the best phone out there B-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Darn Angry Birds update from Ovi has deleted the first level pack. grrrr...

Okay, right now, today, where's the best place to get an N900?
    (and if you buy it from the US, where can it be repaired over here?)
    It's purchasing time, finally...

Sparks wrote: »
    Okay, right now, today, where's the best place to get an N900?
    (and if you buy it from the US, where can it be repaired over here?)
    It's purchasing time, finally...

The 10% promotional coupon code I used when I bought mine from O2 is back on http://www.promotionalcodes.org.uk/o2-ireland-discount-codes/ but the price is very high at €499 to start with and €449 after. I'm sure there's much better value elsewhere - maybe the Nokia UK site? Sterling is not great at the moment though ...

Actually not better value on Nokia UK - £459 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Anyone have a problem with their alarm?

I set mine each morning for 7am. Most mornings it turns off when I press snooze/stop alarm (or whatever button it is, all looks like a blur at that time in the morning).

But the odd morning the alarm continues to ring, which then wakes up my 7 month old son as i'm desperately trying to muffle the sound of the alarm by shoving the phone under the pillow..

Haven't tried reflashing , don't want to just yet.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem with their alarm?

I set mine each morning for 7am. Most mornings it turns off when I press snooze/stop alarm (or whatever button it is, all looks like a blur at that time in the morning).

But the odd morning the alarm continues to ring, which then wakes up my 7 month old son as i'm desperately trying to muffle the sound of the alarm by shoving the phone under the pillow..

Haven't tried reflashing , don't want to just yet.

From what I've read on Maemo, flipping the phone over so that it's face/screen down snoozes the alarm. Maybe keep it under your pillow and just reach in to flip it - best chance of not waking the baby? I don't use that function on my phone, so if it works let us know here.
    PS - you must have a different type of baby to the ones I had - I NEVER needed any kind of alarm until they were man/woman big ;) By then I needed a hobnail boot to get THEM up and out of bed.

Domscard wrote: »
    The 10% promotional coupon code I used when I bought mine from O2 is back on http://www.promotionalcodes.org.uk/o2-ireland-discount-codes/ but the price is very high at €499 to start with and €449 after. I'm sure there's much better value elsewhere - maybe the Nokia UK site? Sterling is not great at the moment though ...

Actually not better value on Nokia UK - £459 sterling.

€450 is starting to look like a good price for here :(
    Amazon have it for ~€350 but won't ship it to here, Newegg have it for the same but won't ship it internationally, and forwarder sites like iShopUSA add so much to the price that it's nearly €700 by the time it gets here.

This is downright silly :(

• Advertisement

Any chance that you know someone in NI enough to have it sent there from Amazon? That's what I do with stuff like that but I live very near the border so it's handy.

Advertisement