Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Huzzah, problem solved. Was recommended another service on Twitter (shipito.com) and their service charges are two orders of magnitude lower than ishopusa.com. N900 ordered from Amazon, should get it by the end of next week if all goes well.
    At long last!

(And I'll bet you they release the N9 the day before my N900 arrives :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Sparks wrote: »
    Huzzah, problem solved. Was recommended another service on Twitter (shipito.com) and their service charges are two orders of magnitude lower than ishopusa.com. N900 ordered from Amazon, should get it by the end of next week if all goes well.
    At long last!

How does this kind of service work out WRT customs duty and VAT? Looks useful as long as you don't get stung by extra charges. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

(And I'll bet you they release the N9 the day before my N900 arrives :D )

Don't worry, the way Nokia are these days, it will probably take months before it's usable anyway.

If ever.

Domscard wrote: »
    How does this kind of service work out WRT customs duty and VAT? Looks useful as long as you don't get stung by extra charges. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.
    Well, with customs and VAT, it comes to about the same. I just got ticked off at the O2 site and said feck it :D

• Advertisement

Don't worry, the way Nokia are these days, it will probably take months before it's usable anyway.
    If ever.
    Had one for a fortnight. Loved it. Did everything I have to carry four things for right now, and did some of them better than the dedicated devices (specifically, it played mp4 stuff better than the mp4 player I have and it took better photos than my dedicated point-and-shoot 11MP camera).
    Plus, it runs python. And uses debian repositories.
    Best phone ever.
    Kicks the iPhone's butt.
    Can't wait to see what the N9 will do and already volunteered to trial that when it's ready :Dweek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

anybody know how to copy contacts to the SIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem with their alarm?

I set mine each morning for 7am. Most mornings it turns off when I press snooze/stop alarm (or whatever button it is, all looks like a blur at that time in the morning).

But the odd morning the alarm continues to ring, which then wakes up my 7 month old son as i'm desperately trying to muffle the sound of the alarm by shoving the phone under the pillow..

Haven't tried reflashing , don't want to just yet.

dude do you set a new alarm everynight? if you go into alarms it lists all alarms ever set.. it really slows down the alarm app something shocking if you dont delete some of your old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    dude do you set a new alarm everynight? if you go into alarms it lists all alarms ever set.. it really slows down the alarm app something shocking if you dont delete some of your old ones

No it's the same alarm I just tick the box every night to re-set it

Woo-hoo!
    FedEx wrote:
    Estimated delivery : Jul 23, 2010 by 18:00

• Advertisement

Woo-hoo!

Be ready with the cheque book then - Fedex really know how to charge for their 'services' in collecting duties on behalf of Revenue & Customs. But it will all be worth it in the end, I hope :)

What duties? Mobile phones have 0% duty, check TARIC :)
    VAT, well, yeah, but you figure that into the cost ahead of time.

What duties? Mobile phones have 0% duty, check TARIC :)
    VAT, well, yeah, but you figure that into the cost ahead of time.

I didn't know that - I thought everything over €150 was liable for duty, unless you physically brought it in yourself, when the upper limit was then around €400. The last time I got anything in via Fedex they charged an administration fee of €15 just to collect the VAT :eek: I ended up paying more in shipping and charges than what the item was worth so I vowed never to do it again :( I get some stuff from Iherb regularly but I get it via An Post and so far, so free :)

Anyone using Opera browser. I find it quite good, i've been using it as my main browser for the last two days. Aside from the lack of flash, it works very well. I really like the start page with the large icon-bookmarks. One touch zoom is nice also. Shame you can't turn off auto rotate yet.

settings - screen rotation - landscape?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone using Opera browser. I find it quite good, i've been using it as my main browser for the last two days. Aside from the lack of flash, it works very well. I really like the start page with the large icon-bookmarks. One touch zoom is nice also. Shame you can't turn off auto rotate yet.

I find it's great too. I love the way you can use the physical arrow keys o control the mouse courser, it's so much handier for navigating menus and stuff. And obviously the way it renderers each page so the text fit perfectly on screen is awesome/

does anybody else think the latest update to Opera, in the last week or so, is a bit flaky? The pages goes flying down at the slightest touch. I also find it crashes more, while previously it never crashed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

podge018 wrote: »
    does anybody else think the latest update to Opera, in the last week or so, is a bit flaky? The pages goes flying down at the slightest touch. I also find it crashes more, while previously it never crashed at all.

I just downloaded the update there, mine doesn't have that problem where it scrolls like mad at the slightest touch. Perhaps you should uninstall and reinstall?

I'm actually surprised how stable my n900 still is. I've been doing a lot of messing arpund with stuff that could completely mess up the phone like trying to add buttons to the menu you get when you press the on button etc. Im still really impressed with it. I just wish nokia would pick a platform and stick to it. The lack of official N900 OVI Maps is terrible really.

Woo-hoo!
    Fedex wrote:
    Estimated delivery : Jul 23, 2010 by 18:00
    Double Woo-hoo!
    Fedex wrote:
    Estimated delivery Jul 22, 2010 by 12:00
    Not so woo-hoo on the payment of VAT (why the hell does a company in Ireland not accept Laser or COD? Cheques and bank drafts unless you have VISA? FFS...) but that was expected pain, not surprising pain, so that's okay...ish...

(edit: BTW, the final price on delivery is pretty much exactly the same as if I'd gone to O2 and just bought the thing in the end, in case anyone's wondering if it's a better price. Simply put, this is a bugger to find a decent price for :( )

podge018 wrote: »
    settings - screen rotation - landscape?

Nope.. this is a known bug to the devs, it auto rotates regardless of what you select.

There's an update out today right? I'll update at lunch and give it a whirl.

• Advertisement

anybody know how to get Foreca weather to update over wlan? It will only update for me over o2 internet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Went to a funfair and got the screen broken on mine.
    Thank god for insurance - will have a new one tmrw!
    But selling it straight away - keep an eye on adverts!

Anyway, anyone know an easy way to erase all data without the use of the screen?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if there is a free office style app that enables viewing powerpoint, word and excel or is paying for Documents To Go my only option?

Nephew wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a free office style app that enables viewing powerpoint, word and excel or is paying for Documents To Go my only option?

+1 - I would like to know this too. I have AbiWord installed and I though this would do the job but it doesn't. PDF reader works well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

+1 Same as that Domscard

edit
    Oh, I finally got an N900 thanks to Four of a kind.
    Awful nice guy and what a phone. Can’t believe I suffered an N97 and an insurance replaced N97 mini

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mik_da_man wrote: »

Anyway, anyone know an easy way to erase all data without the use of the screen?...

Do you still have the cable to output to a TV screen?

mik_da_man, had the same problem before mine was sent back

Plugged in via USB cable and copied everything off it, then flashed it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nephew wrote: »

One of the hall marks of an open source project..a dozen different process monitors and f**k all office software. :pac: Although I thought I saw some office reader suite in beta on the maemo forums

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Bambi wrote: »
    One of the hall marks of an open source project..a dozen different process monitors and f**k all office software. :pac: Although I thought I saw some office reader suit in beta on the maemo forums

I think AbiWord is in Extra-devel. From what I've read it's starting to get into a usable state (UI being fixed etc) but I haven't tested it myself to confirm

• Advertisement

And it's arrived and I'm not N900-less any longer! Yay!

Advertisement