Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sparks wrote: »
    And it's arrived and I'm not N900-less any longer! Yay!

Welcome to the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Got my N900 the other week, Great device, the best thing i like so far,
    Internet streaming radio whiel in the car then using the inbuilt FM transmitter relayed back to the car stereo... bloody fantastic. Looking for a profile manager though. somthing that will switvh the phone into silent, WIFI off, GSMmode through the night. then revert back at 7am or so. ..... anybody have suggestions?

Cheers
    OOOOOhh forgot setting up a wiimote to play Snes games is pretty sweet, that impressed my 7 year old no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BrookieD wrote: »
    Internet streaming radio whiel in the car then using the inbuilt FM transmitter relayed back to the car stereo... bloody fantastic. Looking for a profile manager though. somthing that will switvh the phone into silent, WIFI off, GSMmode through the night. then revert back at 7am or so. ..... anybody have suggestions?

Cheers
    OOOOOhh forgot setting up a wiimote to play Snes games is pretty sweet, that impressed my 7 year old no end.

I just downloaded an app from the Extras-Devel resporitory called "Timed Silencer", you enter the times and days you want the phone to switch to the silent profile. So i have it setup to switch to silent from 9 to 5 on the week days, and at nights on the weekend and stuff. Only installed it an hour ago so i haven't really tested it, but it seems cool to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

yeah i am looking for more that switching off the volume? will look into it though cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cheers

I think there is an app called alarmd that does some of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah there are two apps that do this so you could mix the functionality.

So...Opera's updated, improved scrolling and the auto rotate problem has been fixed, it's now a really great browser (sans flash)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Cheers

try this program....

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58897

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

funkyflea wrote: »
    Yeah there are two apps that do this so you could mix the functionality.

So...Opera's updated, improved scrolling and the auto rotate problem has been fixed, it's now a really great browser (sans flash)

Wonder if it's still a power hog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gracedublin

Please use adverts.ie thanks

Post edited by random

god's toy wrote: »
    Wonder if it's still a power hog?

Haven't had a chance to test it properly, last version was terrible for battery drain but this doesn't seem as bad on first glance.. but time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi lads, I am selling my N900 on adverts if anyone is interested:

http://www.adverts.ie/253818/mobile-phones/nokia-n900-sim-free-full-boxed-5-months-old/

Has anyone used Queen bee widget app?

2n1yz5h.png

Just set it up like this on mine(robbed the screenshot from talk maemo but my screen shows the exact same minus the sygic shortcut) so that I can use these large shortcuts in the car when I get a windscreen mount.. Easy access to media player /fm transmitter + maps (if ovi ever get their act together) will be brill.

It's really customisable and you can create your own widgets for anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok trying to install Mms ont the phone.Have fmms and fapn installed.When I go into Add new APN I insert 02 mms then save. Then I go into internet settings and what details to I insert

Access Point Name
    User Name
    Password

Then clicking on advanced and it asks if to use Proxy etc.Anyoen know the settings as dont want to go through 2000 posts

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Ok trying to install Mms ont the phone.Have fmms and fapn installed.When I go into Add new APN I insert 02 mms then save. Then I go into internet settings and what details to I insert

Access Point Name
    User Name
    Password

Then clicking on advanced and it asks if to use Proxy etc.Anyoen know the settings as dont want to go through 2000 posts

Thanks

O2 Ireland
    Connection Name: O2 MMS POSTPAY
    Connection Type: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: wap.dol.ie
    User Name: user
    Password: user
    Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    HTTP Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port Number: 8080
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    Resize Image: Medium (320)
    Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)

Thanks but cannot see where to put in the below?

Cannot find where this is?

Currently 'modding' my n900 to look like an iphone.. (this was my work untl last night):

screenshot01b.png

And this is my work so far today:

screenshot02a.png

All those are working shortcuts, when clicked they open up relevant apps/urls and i'm adding custom animations to each of them when time allows, Telephone, Calendar, Conversations, Camera, Facebook (microB), Image-viewer, Media Player, Firefox, Maps, Tweego

This is just the first desktop, the next desktop has more icons (opera browser, notes, shopper, contacts, x-terminal etc)

Next step to add a portrait rotate function to the icons themselves..which can be done using dbus commands but will take a while to figure out. If anyone wants to know how to do it i'll post instructions.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Currently 'modding' my n900 to look like an iphone.. (this was my work untl last night):

screenshot01b.png

And this is my work so far today:

screenshot02a.png

All those are working shortcuts, when clicked they open up relevant apps/urls and i'm adding custom animations to each of them when time allows, Telephone, Calendar, Conversations, Camera, Facebook (microB), Image-viewer, Media Player, Firefox, Maps, Tweego

This is just the first desktop, the next desktop has more icons (opera browser, notes, shopper, contacts, x-terminal etc)

Next step to add a portrait rotate function to the icons themselves..which can be done using dbus commands but will take a while to figure out. If anyone wants to know how to do it i'll post instructions.

Yes, please :)

This is the wiki link from Maemo: http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS

MMSC is under Internet Connection > settings on the fMMS tab. I'm Vodafone, so not the same settings as yours.

Domscard wrote: »
    Yes, please :)

No problem I'll put something up this evening hopefully!

Ok, (before i start it's very handy to have WinSCP and openSSH installed, otherwise just use USB connection to transfer stuff to phone, also note this can be quite time consuming but it is easy).

1. install Queen beecon widget from Appmanager
    2. Install istyle light theme from appmanager
    3. download this icon pack (contains some robbed and some i created myself)
    4. extract those icons to images/queen_beecon_dir folder
    5. go to the desktop, tap on screen, add new widget> queen beecon widget
    6. have this page handy, you need to copy this to your phones clipboard without changing anything:
    [queen-beecon-header]
    version=1,000000
    checksum=2422160
    [queen-beecon-exported-instance]
    widgetType=1
    widgetVisible=1
    operationalStatus=0
    hideCanvas=true
    snippetBgRGB=0
    snippetExtBgRGB=#000000000000
    beecon_lt0_ImgZoom=0
    beecon_lt0_BgRGB=2
    beecon_lt0_ExtBgRGB=#808080808080
    beecon_lt0_ImgFilename=queen-beecon-syserr.png
    beecon_eq0_ImgZoom=0
    beecon_eq0_BgRGB=3
    beecon_eq0_ExtBgRGB=#0000ffff0000
    beecon_eq0_ImgFilename=queen-beecon-appok.png
    beecon_eq1_ImgZoom=0
    beecon_eq1_BgRGB=4
    beecon_eq1_ExtBgRGB=#ffffffff0000
    beecon_eq1_ImgFilename=queen-beecon-appwrn.png
    beecon_ge2_ImgZoom=0
    beecon_ge2_BgRGB=5
    beecon_ge2_ExtBgRGB=#ffff00000000
    beecon_ge2_ImgFilename=queen-beecon-apperr.png
    beecon_idxge2_ImgZoom=0
    beecon_idxge2_BgRGB=11
    beecon_idxge2_ExtBgRGB=#0000ffffffff
    beecon_idxge2_ImgFilename=queen-beecon-index.png
    widWidth=381
    widHeight=208
    instanceTitle=LaunchContacts
    instanceCmd=run-standalone.sh dbus-send --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr /com/nokia/HildonDesktop/AppMgr com.nokia.HildonDesktop.AppMgr.LaunchApplication string:osso-addressbook
    rememberMe=
    cmdImgFilename=qbw_contacts.png
    cmdImgZoom=0
    cmdFgRGB=1
    cmdExtFgRGB=#ffffffffffff
    cmdTextAngle=0
    cmdVisibilityPosition=0
    cmdImgVisibilityPosition=5
    cmdJustify=0
    cmdExtFont=Nokia Sans bold italic 12
    cmdFontName=3
    cmdFontSize=12
    resImgFilename=queen-beecon-resimg.png
    resImgZoom=0
    resFgRGB=1
    resExtFgRGB=#ffffffffffff
    resTextAngle=0
    resVisibilityPosition=0
    resImgVisibilityPosition=0
    resJustify=0
    resExtFont=Nokia Sans bold 12
    resFontName=2
    resFontSize=12
    updOnStartup=false
    updOnClick=true
    updOnDesktop=false
    delayIndex=0
    customIntervalSecs=0
    updNeworkPolicy=0
    updOnDBUS=0
    updOnDBUSBus=0
    updOnDBUSMatchRule=

6. now for the repetitive part. so tap and hold on your Queen beecon desktop widget until you see the little wrench icon.
    7. now on the right hand side is a button that says 'Advanced' tap it, and say Yes to the warning
    8. scroll down, to the bottom of this screen, there will be a blank white box, choose 'Paste clipboard to buffer' and then select 'Import Buffer to beacon' button.

ejzpdt.png

14xkqx5.png

9. choose YES
    10. a successful message should appear.

2m43vxf.jpg

11. next, wait a few seconds and the configure widget menu will reappear. so, choose the size of the icon (156 wide and 156 high) and scroll down until you see qbw-contacts.png and change it to contacts.png

1zwya3c.png

12. next, you need to remove any text thats appearing over the icon, you will see a few boxes that say 'Position: top right' etc so select each one and manually change it to 'hidden' EXCEPT for the one beside the contacts.png image, if you change this, your icon will not appear.

also tick the box that says 'Hide background'

13. Then select save and run to test your widget.

Rinse and repeat!

Sorry these are rushed instructions and those screens are robbed, but if you need any more help just ask. or see this thread

;)

• Advertisement

So far I've got shortcuts for

*conversations
    *gmail notifier
    *ebay
    *facebook
    *twitter (Tweego)
    *contacts
    *media player
    *notes
    *shopper (shopping list app)
    * wifi on/off (choose any connection ..mines set to my home wifi.gray when disabled, turns green when active)
    *xterminal
    *telephone
    *opera
    *firefox
    *microb
    *image-viewer
    *maps
    *my personal fave.. a button to lock the device screen and keys..which should extend the life of the little clicker on the side by half..
    *calendar
    *camera
    These are spread across two desktops.

basically nearly any command or call can be run from an icon.. im not able to get fm radio, settings and a few others to work yet. If anyone wants the beecon code for any of the above let me know and i'll post what I have!

Got a few compliments about it today when I showed it around, ha, say what you want but apple have a nice consistent style on their OS.

This is the wiki link from Maemo: http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS

MMSC is under Internet Connection > settings on the fMMS tab. I'm Vodafone, so not the same settings as yours.

Have all this set up but cannot find where to put my phone number. I go into internet settings and not there and also fmms settings and all I get there is access point name and MMSC:confused: When I go to send a picture message I get the below error

Operation Failed(-3,'Temporary failure in name resolution') please check your settings

Anyone help here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sooo happy to finally have my broken screen fixed on the n900 an have it back in my hands. only downside was that they wiped it after they replaced the broken screen, thanks a bunch, feckers! :(

i copied everything off it via usb before i sent it off, but not sure where anything is in the copied files.

most importantly, does anyone know where my angry birds high score info will be stored, cos i had nearly cracked that when i cracked my screen and you all know how important it is. :)

Have all this set up but cannot find where to put my phone number. I go into internet settings and not there and also fmms settings and all I get there is access point name and MMSC:confused: When I go to send a picture message I get the below error

Operation Failed(-3,'Temporary failure in name resolution') please check your settings

Anyone help here?

There is nowhere for a phone number on mine either. I know I had a lot of difficulty getting this set up - what about the Network mode? I have mine on Havoc after trying the others to see what worked. Check to make sure any password hasn't been capitalised at the start. Failing that, maybe someone on O2 can compare settings with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone help here?
    There is nowhere for a phone number on mine either. I know I had a lot of difficulty getting this set up - what about the Network mode? I have mine on Havoc after trying the others to see what worked. Check to make sure any password hasn't been capitalised at the start. Failing that, maybe someone on O2 can compare settings with you?

Same problem here and it's pissing me off. I've had the N900 for ages and could never get it working so last sunday I reflashed and started from scratch. No Joy. I followed this video on Youtube, putting in the O2 details obviously.:P

A well until 07:54 in the vid where he opens fMMS after configuring the internet connection. He gets a pop up that allows him to enter his phone number & MMSC. I never get that and can't find where to enter it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone, but I am stuck between the N900 and the HTC desire. From peoples experience, which is the better phone in terms of modding and adding apps to it?

I know they both have bastardized versions of Linux on them, but is one easier to use than the other.

Sorry if this should be a thread by itself, i'll create one if you think its best

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone, but I am stuck between the N900 and the HTC desire. From peoples experience, which is the better phone?

Define better. :)

What are you looking for in a phone?

Sorry Tom, looks like you got in before the edit!!! :D
    I just want one that is pretty easy to add apps to and modify. And which one has the more apps designed for it?

I'm basically looking for a toy to play with, but also one that will not break on me shortly after buying it. I had a samsung before where the flippy keypad KO'd after a couple of months, and I now have a touch screen(Nokia 5800) but the touch screen seems to be getting less responsive.

Camera doesnt really matter, and I presume the internet speed is pretty much the same on both.

Hope that narrows down a bit what I am looking for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sorry Tom, looks like you got in before the edit!!! :D
    I just want one that is pretty easy to add apps to and modify. And which one has the more apps designed for it?

I'm basically looking for a toy to play with, but also one that will not break on me shortly after buying it. I had a samsung before where the flippy keypad KO'd after a couple of months, and I now have a touch screen(Nokia 5800) but the touch screen seems to be getting less responsive.

Right, if it is apps you are looking for, then, as much as it kills me to say it, stay away from the N900.

While there are loads of apps for it, there is no doubt that it will be dwarfed in time by Android.

Other than that, it is an awesome phone. But it is really down to what you want to use it for. Do a search for some of my posts, both in this thread and other threads in the Mobiles/PDA forum. I've given a full rundown of the benefits/features a number of times.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Right, if it is apps you are looking for, then, as much as it kills me to say it, stay away from the N900.

While there are loads of apps for it, there is no doubt that it will be dwarfed in time by Android.

Other than that, it is an awesome phone. But it is really down to what you want to use it for. Do a search for some of my posts, both in this thread and other threads in the Mobiles/PDA forum. I've given a full rundown of the benefits/features a number of times.

I've noticed you seem to be a bit of a N900 fan boy alright :D
    What makes you think Android will dwarf it in terms of apps in the future? Surely if they are both running on Linux Kernels, it shouldnt be too difficult to port Android apps to the maemo os?

Just found this link to a blog where a dude does a serious amount of comparison between the N900 and other mobiles, some very interesting(some a bit ott) reading in it. http://cool900.blogspot.com

Advertisement