Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Traitor.

:D

Ah no, each to their own.

I see your point completely, everybody has differing needs in their handset. I firmly believe that if I was commuting on the train every day, the N900 wouldn't be for me. However, as I drive to work 25-35 minutes each way, I use the FM transmitter all the time.

I have to be honest, my next phone will most likely be an Android, but it might be a bit early for me to convince Herself that I need a new phone. :D

Agreed on the FM transmitter it's quite good. I have this niggling in the back of my mind that maybe I should have picked up a HTC or something with Android because I can see it's app market picking up speed quickly.

Maybe next time! I'll still have my N900 for a few days/weeks until I shift it, so until then I'll pop in and out of here.

Any new/interesting apps on N900 lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funkyflea wrote: »
    Well guys and girls, it's been a good ride but am leaving the N900 for...

...iPhone 4.
    well, being left handed i won't be going for an iphone 4 since i'd need to be using it for things like making calls and browsing the net and that 'hand mod' where they cut off 2 of your fingers seems a tad extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, being left handed i won't be going for an iphone 4 since i'd need to be using it for things like making calls and browsing the net and that 'hand mod' where they cut off 2 of your fingers seems a tad extreme!

That whole reception **** really is aload of bollox, Havent had any problems with coverage like that, Besides who buys a phone like this and dosent put a cover on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

vibe666 wrote: »

I'm left handed also but use my phone in my right hand so won't be an issue for me, but it is a bit unforgiveable. Will be interesting to see if there are signal problems when I receive mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

. ...I firmly believe that if I was commuting on the train every day, the N900 wouldn't be for me. However, as I drive to work 25-35 minutes each way, I use the FM transmitter all the time.

Agree, I would be lost with out the FM transmitter! I use it with the gPodder app every day for my tech/gamer poscasts. I really hope my next device has one.
    I have to be honest, my next phone will most likely be an Android, but it might be a bit early for me to convince Herself that I need a new phone.

Same here, it will be a sad day when I make the move from Maemo but right now Android is just not ready... yet (IMO) LOL and herself, I have to come up with a really good reason too.

So long funkyflea ;) It's been fun! Let us know how you get on , on the DARK SIDE! I'm loving the look of the new crapple but just cant see myself going over to them as it's all so open here on Maemo.

Oh and I also am Left handed! funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I suggest taking the iPhone debate over to the iPhone forum :-)

Meanwhile staying slightly off topic, anyone tried NITDroid recently? I installed it yesterday, seems to have made good ground since I last tried it. Using the latest Android (Froid 2.2). Still no GSM/3G but I'd be surprised if the guys don't get it working over the next month or two. Apparently the Android Market works 100% now - I just need to fix a WIFI problem on mine before I can test it - haven't had much time to play with it yet.

If people are interested I'll follow up once I get some time to test it. I'm hoping to get my Slingbox up and running on NITDroid before the premiership kicks off, alternatively it would be nice if we could get SopCast running natively on Maemo but I don't think it has been ported (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

There still is no phone I would chose over the N900.
    I actually doubt there ever will be, I find it highly unlikely Nokia will make a phone this good again, I don't like where I think Meego is going and Nokia still can't figure out which OS they should base their future on.

Flash 10 and turn by turn maps, with that it would be so close to perfect.

And I will never be able to buy a phone without the an FM transmitter, I've been spoilt.

I regularly attend Street fighter Tournaments in dublin, IRC and forum browsing on the bus while listening to 6 music (Collins and Herring) and facebook chatting via the sms like interface, maps to figure out where the hell i'm supposed to be, a 45 min 3g skype call from my sister in Austrailia, photos from the tournament instantly uploaded and the grand finals streamed live for those who can't make it, and my curious sydney residing sister, and 3 episodes of Bones and the Revenge of Shinobi for the ride home.

I know of no phone like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I suggest taking the iPhone debate over to the iPhone forum :-)

Meanwhile staying slightly off topic, anyone tried NITDroid recently? I installed it yesterday, seems to have made good ground since I last tried it. Using the latest Android (Froid 2.2). Still no GSM/3G but I'd be surprised if the guys don't get it working over the next month or two. Apparently the Android Market works 100% now - I just need to fix a WIFI problem on mine before I can test it - haven't had much time to play with it yet.

If people are interested I'll follow up once I get some time to test it. I'm hoping to get my Slingbox up and running on NITDroid before the premiership kicks off, alternatively it would be nice if we could get SopCast running natively on Maemo but I don't think it has been ported (yet)

This nitdroid your talking about is that another version of android? I've kept one of my n900s in the hope of something like this working and replacing maemo. Please let me know how it goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

This nitdroid your talking about is that another version of android? I've kept one of my n900s in the hope of something like this working and replacing maemo. Please let me know how it goes for you.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    That whole reception **** really is aload of bollox, Havent had any problems with coverage like that, Besides who buys a phone like this and dosent put a cover on it.
    not being funny, but there's a lot of evidence to the contrary. you not having problems yourself doesn't meant that nobody else is and there is a shedload of evidence to say that there are significant issues with it.

as for buying a cover for it, maybe the whole thing was a ploy by apple to make sure everyone buys a case for their new iphone 4. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Well you need to have installed the desktop command execution widget. And then you just add one of the widgets and add a new command. The command should be as follows:
    echo "echo 900000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the upper limit to 900Mhz.
    Once you have that entered, you'll need to make sure the widget is set to only update when you click on it, as by default it will update when the phone is booted, when the desktop you've put it on is selected etc etc.
    The code for setting the minimum limits is similar enough:
    echo "echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the minimum clock to 500. Again you'll have to make sure the widget only updates when you click on it, as it will screw it up if it starts trying to update everytime you select a particular desktop.
    It's dead handy really, you don't need to go to xterminal to change the limits, just a click of a widget!
    Love this phone!
    Does anyone have any other interesting/cool stuff, widgets etc etc?

Hello sir, do I need anything else installed? When I click on the widgets nothing happens nor do I see any imporvment in responsiveness. There was a mention of a kernal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Hello sir, do I need anything else installed? When I click on the widgets nothing happens nor do I see any imporvment in responsiveness. There was a mention of a kernal

Yes, you do. The above is only for running commands and making switching speeds easier.

Have a look on Maemo.org for full details on how to do it.

Yes, you do. The above is only for running commands and making switching speeds easier.

Have a look on Maemo.org for full details on how to do it.

Followed all steps below (other than 5.) from http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=595582&postcount=774. Then ran widgets and nothing happens. Should I see something on screen?

"My simple steps:

1. Install "rootsh". Doesn't matter what version.
    2. Install the package "Enhanced linux kernel for power users" (section 'system' in application manager).
    3. Shutdown the phone and power back up again.
    4. Now install "Enhanced kernel for power users (settings)" (section 'system' in application manager).
    5. Then launch xterminal, and follow these steps below:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Open xterminal, and type in
    sudo gainroot (press enter)
    kernel-config show (press enter)

This will show you what your "limits" are set to. Pressing the widget alone will not give you any real indication of whether it has run.

What i do is, add a widget that shows the cpu frequency. There should be a command already there called CPU that will do this for you. You'll have to click on it to update it.

Open xterminal, and type in
    sudo gainroot (press enter)
    kernel-config show (press enter)

This will show you what your "limits" are set to. Pressing the widget alone will not give you any real indication of whether it has run.

What i do is, add a widget that shows the cpu frequency. There should be a command already there called CPU that will do this for you. You'll have to click on it to update it.

Tried this but my lower and upper are 125 & 600 respectively (after pressing the widgets). Looks like my widgets didn't work. Reviewed the command lines and they look OK.
    Also, there is no built in command for CPU.
    Maybe the CPU Rate can be built into the Widget like the battery level and the Up Time are.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Tried this but my lower and upper are 125 & 600 respectively (after pressing the widgets). Looks like my widgets didn't work. Reviewed the command lines and they look OK.
    Also, there is no built in command for CPU.
    Maybe the CPU Rate can be built into the Widget like the battery level and the Up Time are.

Assuming you have Titan's Power Kernel installed, try the following:

sudo kernel-config load ideal

This will set min/max to 500/850. Note that a min of 500 is said to increase responsiveness without any effect on battery life. Note that when the CPU is idle it stops rather than spinning at the min speed.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Assuming you have Titan's Power Kernel installed, try the following:

sudo kernel-config load ideal

This will set min/max to 500/850. Note that a min of 500 is said to increase responsiveness without any effect on battery life. Note that when the CPU is idle it stops rather than spinning at the min speed.

Don't have Titans' Powwer Kernelk installed. Can't see in in app manager. Ran the "sudo kernel-config load ideal above" and it seems to have worked. Will let you know how it pans out. Can it be used with the Desktop Command Execution Widget? Thanks for all the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks guys - just overclocked my N900. :D

Should have overclocked months ago!

Don't have Titans' Powwer Kernelk installed. Can't see in in app manager. Ran the "sudo kernel-config load ideal above" and it seems to have worked. Will let you know how it pans out. Can it be used with the Desktop Command Execution Widget? Thanks for all the help guys.

Sorry, looked again and when I select "sudo kernel-confg load ideal" my min is 125 and my max 850.

Just jumped aboard the overclock bandwagon here.

Noticeable improvement in response time. Now lets see if Skype is any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Same here.
    About the only thing I really want at the moment now is a way to have a persistent desktop icon for the phone application or to tie launching it to a hardware button.
    Other than that, loving this thing :)

Sparks wrote: »
    Same here.
    About the only thing I really want at the moment now is a way to have a persistent desktop icon for the phone application

But you can do that - just add a shortcut to the phone app.

That's what I did.

In other news, Muzu.tv is noticeably better. Still slightly jerky, but that could be down to my crappy 0.3 Mbps internet connection. Don't get me started.

Can only have one shortcut per app on the desktops Tom, and I have the icon on desktop 1; but it can't be put on desktops 2-4 or made persistent (or at least I've not figured out how to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Can only have one shortcut per app on the desktops Tom, and I have the icon on desktop 1; but it can't be put on desktops 2-4 or made persistent (or at least I've not figured out how to do so).

There is a way to do it that involves making \ editing .desktop files but I don't know it off hand. It should be described on TMO somewhere

Edit : Here's a thread with some info

Ok, gotcha now.

Just opened 10 apps while music is playing, no noticeable slowdown.

Impressive.

Ok, gotcha now.

Just opened 10 apps while music is playing, no noticeable slowdown.

Impressive.

What level of overclock are you running? Are you running "ideal"?

What level of overclock are you running? Are you running "ideal"?

Yeah, for now. ;)

I'll give it a day or two and see how I go.

In other news, have you seen this on Engadget? :D

game-gripper-n900.jpg

Linky. Turn your state of the art smartphone into a Gameboy.

Yeah, for now. ;)

I'll give it a day or two and see how I go.

In other news, have you seen this on Engadget? :D

game-gripper-n900.jpg

Linky. Turn your state of the art smartphone into a Gameboy.

Already ordered.:D

matrim wrote: »
    There is a way to do it that involves making \ editing .desktop files but I don't know it off hand. It should be described on TMO somewhere

Edit : Here's a thread with some info

Sorted, using DrLaunch (multiple widgets, one on each desktop).

Still have to design the perfect desktop, of course ;)

• Advertisement

Sorted, using DrLaunch (multiple widgets, one on each desktop).

Still have to design the perfect desktop, of course ;)

Could this be a "Post your desktop" thread in the making?

Advertisement