Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds good to me, or at least it will when I have something worth posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

After overclocking I've found that my battery is lasting longer.

I'd normally only get 24 hrs out of it before battery was dead. Now I'm getting ~36.
    Very happy so far :D

Edit: For some reason the phone vibration doesn't work anymore - it kind of tries to vibrate but then doesn't.
    It sounds sick. Presume this is something to do with overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I'm developing an app for Maemo/Symbian in collaboration with pumps.ie, if anyone wants to try a beta version it can be downloaded from the link below. I am doing the N900 version first and will then try porting it to Symbian.

It supports finding stations by county/area, GPS location and Watch List. It shows the prices and if you are registered on pumps.ie you can update the prices using the app.

I haven't yet packaged it with an icon and it doesn't yet work with the app manager. To install do the following from an xterm (assumes rootsh is installed):

$ wget http://84.203.164.145/pumps_0.0.1_armel.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i pumps_0.0.1_armel.deb
    $ pumps

Feel free to PM if you have any problems.

NOTE: Requires the latest firmware PR1.2 as it is built on the Qt Framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

After overclocking I've found that my battery is lasting longer.

I am the same. Can somebody explain that one to me? It just doesn't make sense.

If you are using the 'ideal' power kernel settings it uses undervolting to reduce battery consumption. The theory is that undervolting uses less battery power, hopefully without damaging the circuitry. See this for more info http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power

• Advertisement

Doesn't the overclocking also change the way the CPU clock ramps up and down?
    Also, is that 36 hours of using the phone or 36 hours of standby?
    I find my battery life is highly dependant on usage patterns, far more so than with any other phone. If I use it as a netbook replacement, I'm lucky to get 8 hours out of it. Mind you, I'd be lucky to get 8 hours from a netbook either!

A little more info on this, at the same frequency Titan's power kernel uses a significantly lower voltage and therefore consumes less power.
    They claim that the voltage plays a bigger role in battery consumption than the frequency.

Nokia default:
    VALUE VOLTAGE FREQUENCY DYNAMIC POWER
    60 1.350 V 600 MHz 1093.500 V²/us

Titan's ideal kernel
    38 1.075V 600 MHz 693.375 V²/us

Ah, I didn't realise it dropped the voltage also.

So that explains it.

I wonder what the long term effects are, though? I mean, if I leave it at this frequency for good, do you reckon it will do any damage?

Increasing the voltage, I imagine would, but would decreasing?

Tom Dunne wrote: »

So that explains it.

I wonder what the long term effects are, though? I mean, if I leave it at this frequency for good, do you reckon it will do any damage?

Nobody knows if overclocking/undervolting will cause premature failure but "they" say undervolting should actually reduce risk of premature failure, at least compared to overclocking without undervolting. They say overclocking does increase risk and is likely to reduce the lifetime of the device but nobody knows if this means reducing it from 5 years to 1 year, or reducing it from 20 years to 19 years! Everyone must make up their own mind if they are prepared to take on the risk in return for smooth and swift UI responses. For me it's worth the risk and actually extends the useful life of the device by helping it combat obsolescence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tom Dunne wrote: »

So that explains it.

Nobody knows really but I've been constantly running it on the ideal profile for about a month now and had no issues, so long may it continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

matrim wrote: »
    Nobody knows really but I've been constantly running it on the ideal profile for about a month now and had no issues, so long may it continue

Yeah i've been running the same for about the same amount oftime, maybe a bit longer and have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Eh.. N900 + neuron transmitter allows you to use your phone by thinking?

I haven't got the sound on and don't have time to watch the video in it's entirety but i really hope it isn't some kind of joke! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I'm developing an app for Maemo/Symbian in collaboration with pumps.ie, if anyone wants to try a beta version it can be downloaded from the link below. I am doing the N900 version first and will then try porting it to Symbian.

It supports finding stations by county/area, GPS location and Watch List. It shows the prices and if you are registered on pumps.ie you can update the prices using the app.

I haven't yet packaged it with an icon and it doesn't yet work with the app manager. To install do the following from an xterm (assumes rootsh is installed):

$ wget http://84.203.164.145/pumps_0.0.1_armel.deb
    $ sudo dpkg -i pumps_0.0.1_armel.deb
    $ pumps

Feel free to PM if you have any problems.

NOTE: Requires the latest firmware PR1.2 as it is built on the Qt Framework.

Sounds great, but I can't get it to run,
    You're using libQtlocation from Qtmobility which isn't available in PR1.2 as far as I know, yet. Any suggestions?

4863491207_66830e1ae6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Hi all
    I found this app very useful for those sites which mandate you use flash V10
    even when they work with older versions
    Works for me with TV3 and rte player ,

Tweak Flash Version
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59336

BTW now overclocking happily as well,
    BIG thanks to all on here for all of the helpful info

mwrf wrote: »
    Sounds great, but I can't get it to run,
    You're using libQtlocation from Qtmobility which isn't available in PR1.2 as far as I know, yet. Any suggestions?

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Sorry - this got installed automatically for me by the SDK, can you try the following from an XTerm and let me know if it works..

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libqtm-location

Here's a couple of screenshots to whet your appetite :-)

Screenshot-20100805-220535.png
    Screenshot-20100805-220618.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pumps.ie

Looking good OneWayBet! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Perhaps this has been posted before I'm not sure, but the universal Nokia CR115 car holder will hold a Nokia N900. You just have to cut out a small notch in the rubber buffers so that it doesn't hit the power button on top. Best of all you can slide open the screen/keyboard while it's in the holder too. I picked one up for less than 10 euro including delivery on eBay from a buyer called e_cell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

16hill16 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I found this app very useful for those sites which mandate you use flash V10
    even when they work with older versions
    Works for me with TV3 and rte player ,

Tweak Flash Version
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59336

BTW now overclocking happily as well,
    BIG thanks to all on here for all of the helpful info

I presume video playback for you on the RTÉ Player is very choppy? I'm not sure the N900 is up to scratch for H.264 decoding within Flash for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funkyflea wrote: »
    Eh.. N900 + neuron transmitter allows you to use your phone by thinking?

I haven't got the sound on and don't have time to watch the video in it's entirety but i really hope it isn't some kind of joke! :D

it's almost a good idea aside from it only allowing you to scroll through your contacts list and make a call.

not quite worth the cost of the $500 headset to be able to do it unfortunately. :(

okay for a proof of concept though, but you could probably do the same thing using the built in front facing camera to track eye movements or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

spockety wrote: »
    I presume video playback for you on the RTÉ Player is very choppy? I'm not sure the N900 is up to scratch for H.264 decoding within Flash for some reason.

Yes it is , at first I put it down to bandwidth
    though tv3 seems to be ok

• Advertisement

talking of video playback, does anyone know of a way to pause videos to multitask and go back to them and resume from where you had it paused?

my wife watches tv shows on the bus to/from work, but every time i send her a text she has to come right out of the currently playing video to see it or even reply and it's driving her crazy.

she just wants to be able to pause, do something else and then come back and unpause.

is there a way of doing this, or an alternative video player that allows it?

vibe666 wrote: »
    talking of video playback, does anyone know of a way to pause videos to multitask and go back to them and resume from where you had it paused?

It should do it automatically, I thought.

If you pause a video, a back arrow appears in the top-right hand corner. Click that, then you are back to the Media Player main screen where you can minimise it.

The trick is when you go back in, go to videos and to the icon on the bottom-right hand corner (the triangle). That should allow you to pick up from where you left off.

At least it does for me. :D

Does it automatically for me, just select the video in media player and it jumps forward to where you last left it.

yup, that did it. not sure why i didn't figure that out myself. maybe it was because we were sitting at the side of the road last night waiting for a tow truck whilst we were investigating it. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I am this close to buying one of these beauties! I'm trying to rationalise paying €450 or so on "just a phone" though :rolleyes:

Just two questions. I assume it has a 3.5mm headphone jack? And how useful is the GPS on it?

jenizzle wrote: »
    I assume it has a 3.5mm headphone jack?

It sure does.
    And how useful is the GPS on it?

Chocolate fireguard.

But seriously, it doesn't do turn based voice directions on the maps, so if that is important to you, the phone may not be for you. It is not a substitute for a regular GPS unit.

But if you just need a map application where you can search for something (it connects to the net to do a search, so it is extremely comprehensive), it is usable. And it will show you the route, it just won't give you directions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Thanks... I think the lack of turn-by-turn is a sacrifice I'm willing to make! :D

Thanks... I think the lack of turn-by-turn is a sacrifice I'm willing to make! :D

Yeah, for me it would be a nice to have, rather than essential.

Other than that, it is a pretty amazing phone. I've just spend the past hour playing Street Fighter 2, Wonder Dog and a few other classics on the Sega emulator, but, on my big screen tv via the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Can you not buy GPS software that has turn by turn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

It's not a replacement for turn by turn gps, like in a car, But it did guide me to the passport office on molesworth street yesterday, A street I'd never heard of before, while I listened to 6 music and chatted on irc.

It's still great to have.

Advertisement