Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Val Andrews on Newstalk

• 07-06-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to Newstalk today Sunday as I studied for my exams and have to say why??

They had Val Andrews reporting on the Dublin -Meath and I was trying to give the lad the benefit but eventually the revolting Dub accent finally got to me and I reached for the off button.

Why in God's name do radio stations pick these people to broadcast to the nation.
    Are they trying to annoy people or something.

Tenses mashed, grammar appalling all wrapped in a Dublin accent that the most ardent knacker would disown.

Why do they do this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Its to balance out having Gerry O'Sullivan on every other Sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

yes I agree,you have a good point there.

Nothing against both those gentlemen,but one would think that radio being a voice medium, that commentators,and presenters would be selected on that basis and that common sense would tell you that an intense regional accent ,no matter where from, will eventually grate on the ears and annoy the listener.

Small segments fine, but main man on a show, in my opinion doesn't work(for me anyway)

I won't be tuning in to Newstalk while that lad had a "starring role", no way Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Heard him earlier. He says the word 'like' every fifth word, on average. Who is he anyway?

Newstalk do have a habit of it. Ivan Yates is another one. Just not a broadcasters voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a good subject this, you'd have to reckon that aural aesthetics are just about the last thing any radio station manager takes into account with regard to hiring policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

yes I agree,you have a good point there.

Nothing against both those gentlemen,but one would think that radio being a voice medium, that commentators,and presenters would be selected on that basis and that common sense would tell you that an intense regional accent ,no matter where from, will eventually grate on the ears and annoy the listener.

Small segments fine, but main man on a show, in my opinion doesn't work(for me anyway)

I won't be tuning in to Newstalk while that lad had a "starring role", no way Jose.
    Regional accents you say, check out this bad boy for some serious ear damage.
    http://www.terracetalkireland.com/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Drivetime's Fergal keane is another one. Might be a good journalist, but just doesn't have a voice for radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

Aural aesthetics pale in comparison to a person's ability to do their job.

You might not like Val Andrew's accent, but the guy reads the game really, really well, and is one of the best analysts on the radio. That's why they have him on. As for Weeshie Fogarty on TerraceTalk - he's broadcasting to a local radio audience in Kerry, where he's a hero. Also, I might add, the guy has a Micheal O'Muircheartaigh-esque memory, and is also a fantastic analyst of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

And also they obviously had the telly on while he was talking to give the impression of an atmosphere i mean wtf! Why do Newstalk bother having a sunday sports show when it's all ads comps and a few results.

yamo wrote: »
    Aural aesthetics pale in comparison to a person's ability to do their job.

May I beg to differ pal.Both are complimentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

Eh, no they're not. And I'm not just talking as someone with many years of radio experience.

Think of it like this: Would you rather someone with perfect diction (whatever that is) who has never played or coached football at any level, or with a seriously limited knowledge of the game? Or someone who has a reasonably strong accent, but whose knowledge of the game is fantastic? I know who I would rather have analysing games I'm listening to....

As for the game being on in the background - Newstalk don't have the radio rights for the GAA Championships, so they make do as best they can.

• Advertisement

Lost you after "reasonably strong accent"

Nuh uh.

That baby is strong...very strong.

Advertisement