Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba Laptop wont boot up - help needed :)

• 07-06-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, here the problem, my Toshiba A100 laptop wont boot up. It was working fine yesterday morning, tried switiching it on again last nite - no joy.

Make: Toshiba Satelite A100
    Detail of Problem - On power up, the start-up screens continously cycles between the Toshiba screen and the Windows XP Screen, at the Toshiba screen I get the F2 Systems Utilities Menu and F12 Boot Menu, I can enter these but cant see a "Safe Start" option.
    Additional Info: I have a very dodgy battery, it last about 10mins without the pwoer lead being connected but I tried starting without the battery being connected and have the same problem.

What could be the problem and what can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

you didn't drop it by any chance over the last day or so?
    or spill a liquid on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The minute the Toshiba screen with the F2 and F12 options disappears, repeatidly press the F8 button. This should give you the Windows XP boot options. From the list use the arrow keys to go down to the "Las Know Good Configuration". Press enter once thats highlighted and see does it allow you to boot windows normally.
    If this fails, restart the laptop and repeat the proceedure to get to the Boot Options Menu. Once there, select Safe Mode with Networking and see if it can boot into safe mode.
    Let us know how you get on with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pablod wrote: »
    you didn't drop it by any chance over the last day or so?
    or spill a liquid on it?

No and No.
    majiktripp wrote: »
    The minute the Toshiba screen with the F2 and F12 options disappears, repeatidly press the F8 button. This should give you the Windows XP boot options. From the list use the arrow keys to go down to the "Las Know Good Configuration". Press enter once thats highlighted and see does it allow you to boot windows normally.
    If this fails, restart the laptop and repeat the proceedure to get to the Boot Options Menu. Once there, select Safe Mode with Networking and see if it can boot into safe mode.
    Let us know how you get on with this.

Ok, got to F8,

Selected the "Last Known good config"
    after a few seconds, the Win XP screen appeared then some MS Dos (?) type lettering appeared for a micro second then back to Toshiba start screen, retried, F8, same results as just described.

What next, if anything?

Edited to add - after trying F8 and Last known good config" again, I got a screen with Windows XP Media Centre Edition, selected that and then the pc started what looked like a check, got a load of - something like the following:
    Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers\pcmacia - - the last piece (Bolded) can have fltmgr.sys or MountMgr.sys or loads more, this screen last a few seconds then reverts to the Toshiba screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds like either a corruption of the system files for the operating system (which you would address by a system re-install, or possibly a repartition, reformat and reinstall- if necessary). If its continually falling over at the same point in the boot sequence- this is indicative of a software rather than a hardware issue.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sounds like either a corruption of the system files for the operating system (which you would address by a system re-install, or possibly a repartition, reformat and reinstall- if necessary). If its continually falling over at the same point in the boot sequence- this is indicative of a software rather than a hardware issue.

Thanks, for a layman, is there anything I can do or is it off to the repair man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops

Dig out the restore disk that came with the laptop and run it? It shouldn't overwrite data files (any personal data you have on the computer) unless you elect to reformat or reparatition the drive during the install process.

Thanks for the replies, I shipped it off to a repair guy today in Limerick, hopefully I wont lose any of my files or pics, most of which I have backed up, thankfully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

smccarrick wrote: »
    Dig out the restore disk that came with the laptop and run it? It shouldn't overwrite data files (any personal data you have on the computer) unless you elect to reformat or reparatition the drive during the install process.
    Toshiba VISTA restore DVD's will remove overwrite existing partitions :(
    so you would need to backup your data first

Toshiba VISTA restore DVD's will remove overwrite existing partitions :(
    so you would need to backup your data first

Doh! I assumed it was similar to an Acer or Dell restore disk...... :(
    OP- glad you've the bulk of your info backed up- you're ahead of the posse in many respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

try going into the setup screen (F2) and resetting everything to default settings. worked for me on a toshiba satellite not the same model though

Advertisement