Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the absolute complete and utter beginners...

• 07-06-2009 5:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it might be a good idea to ask you guys to write something or give advice for anyone who would be interested in having a go at producing their own stuff. So presuming we know nothing, where is the best place to start, and where do we go from there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

It will come, but going to take a long time to cover all the platforms that people can use to do this.

I think the best thing a new person can do it to find someone who is doing thsi already with a working setup. They'd learn more in 5 mins than hours/days of watching tutorials.

Personally, for beginners i'll be doing reason 'total newb' tutorials, BUT - if they don't read the manual then there will be no mercy, can't be giving time to people who don't take what is in front of them seriously. Not just to save my time, but to save everyone who is contributing here.

RTFM is the turning point for people who can't get to a friend who writes/produces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i was in the middle of proposing a thread focusing on producing a very basic track for noobs(until xp ****ing delted my post grr)

anyway i was proposing tutorials on each step.
    like ive already done the drums one,so we start at that.then we pick a freeware cross platform synth and make a bassline on it.we show how we make this bassline,maybe some eq techniques on it etc.leave it for a week and then do another video on making a leadlinefor this track(beat and bassline)

people will inevitably come up with there own bassline melodies and lead melodies but if they wanna copy the videos ones thatll be cool too

after thaqt we could take about what steps we take to treat the bassline/leadline all the while the noob will have there own project to follow and apply the techniques.

the noob could post the results and ask questions based on what theyve done etc.

its a bit of an undertaking but i think its achieveable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Great idea lads..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Zascar... i'll gladly show you how to start with ableton some evening

pmed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers man, will do!

Going to download Ableton Live now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah have being plyimg with ableton all weekend I learned how to build the drum loops for a full track, Im moving onto baselines now and looking at an akai apc-40 :pac:

This guy seems cool, alot of sample packs and advise
    http://www.cosm.co.nz/

Advertisement