Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC throttling Bittorrent protocol?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know there are a few threads on this already, I've read most of them I think, but none seemed to come to any conclusion as to whether UPC are actually doing any throttling/shaping of Bittorrent traffic or if it is just bad settings on the user end.

I just moved into a new house. I was on EsatBT 7Mb ADSL in the old place and got the expected 700k download speeds regularly, now I'm on UPC 10Mb and very rarely getting over 50k. It went up to 200k during the night at one point, but basically it's crawling along. I'm using uTorrent (also tested with BitTornado) and have all the relevant port forwarding, TCP/IP limits increased in XP etc. As I said I literally picked up my PC from the old house and went to the new, so any PC side issues are very unlikely.

Some info. The router we got is the new Cisco EPC2425. All other downloads are flying, I just downloaded from the nVidia site at 1000k consistently. Bittorrent downloads were slow from the minute the UPC engineer left, so we're not on a blacklist. I've limited the upload speed so we're not choking the connection. We're in the Sandyford area.

Having said all that, maybe this is a problem from my end, or with the Cisco or whatever. So is anybody out there downloading at full speed using Bittorrent on UPC? If you are could you post and let us know what router you have from UPC, what BT client you're using and any other relevant info.

Thanks!
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement