Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should everyone really be allowed vote?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Ok Im not writing this as a wind up or anything. I know everyone has their rights, and one of the most important rights being voting rights. I know people died for our right to vote etc etc.

But honestly does anyone agree with me here that certain peoples votes are a slap in the face for those that did die for our right?

The reason I bring this up is because I have heard of so many blind votes in the past day or 2 from chatting to people that there's definitely more than enough completely uneducated votes to affect the outcome of an election.

One example, the one that bothered me most, a friend who is now an unemployed carpenter, started an apprenticeship 5 years ago pretty much based on the housing boom. He naturally enough had high hopes for the future. This man has absolutely no interest in politics whatsoever. He voted for a local FF candidate and when we were chatting I had to recall the politicians name as he couldn't remember. I explained to him about the likes of George lee predicting the crash, and the likes of Bertie telling people to keep buying, he just shrugged his shoulders in a lack of interest.

Its one thing voting for your own interests, thats fair enough, but its another thing voting for someone you dont even know or care about.

Sorry I know its just a bit of a rant, I just think there should be some kind of simple test, or maybe you should just have to go somewhere and read info on all candidates and then sign in to get on the register.

I know this would cost and it would probably be a waste, not to mention a reduction in voters, something no politician will support, but wouldn't it be great if everyone voting were people 'in the know'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How do you suggest we check people aren't voting for stupid reasons? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I totally agree with you ! Some people are really as thick as 2 short planks, I myself have a lot of issues with this current government ie lack of affordable childcare,lack of Speech therapy units, withdrawal of special needs classes and whole host of other things while FF are giving Anglo Irish billions !! What bloody gives in this country can people not see that its a 2 tier sociatey we live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Yes, there are idiots in this country. Yes, there are people who are so ignorant of politics in this country that they only help to damage the stability of the nation but:

In my opinion, under no circumstances should a citizen of this country ever be denied their right to vote.
    In fact, I believe more people should be given the right to vote. Including 16 year olds for local elections.
    Not only this, but if compulsory voting came in, I wouldn't have a problem with it so long as there was a "none of the above" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How do you suggest we check people aren't voting for stupid reasons? ;)

Saddam managed it fairly well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

True. But should these foreigners be allowed to vote. They just use the black vote and vote for any people that have black skin who are running. If no black people were running then they wouldn't bother voting.

Black people have rights but should we not limit it so that they can't vote in our country.

• Advertisement

Dumb wrote: »
    True. But should these foreigners be allowed to vote. They just use the black vote and vote for any people that have black skin who are running. If no black people were running then they wouldn't bother voting.

Black people have rights but should we not limit it so that they can't vote in our country.

There are many black Irish citizens in this country and for this reason they should be given the same rights as any other Irish citizen. At the moment, asylum seekers in this country without complete citizenship are entitled to vote for local elections only. EU citizens who do not have full Irish citizenship are entitled to vote for both local and European elections.
    I am quite content with the way things are right now.

However, I do believe that only full Irish citizens should be entitled to vote for Dáil seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so if you refuse one person the right to vote because of their race, where do you stop, prevent eastern europeans from voting, people who were not born in ireland, etc etc, it would be a very sad day if you started that, and one which i hope never seen being passed.

There are many black Irish citizens in this country and for this reason they should be given the same rights as any other Irish citizen. At the moment, asylum seekers in this country without complete citizenship are entitled to vote for local elections only. EU citizens who do not have full Irish citizenship are entitled to vote for both local and European elections.
    I am quite content with the way things are right now.

However, I do believe that only full Irish citizens should be entitled to vote for Dáil seats.

Should a black species ever take part in the Dáil. Should one ever be Taoiseach or President of our country?

Yeah and them damn women only vote to get other women in. Damn feminists lets make it so only men can vote!

Should a black species ever take part in the Dáil. Should one ever be Taoiseach or President of our country?

I'm not sure if you are trying to wind me up here with your severely outdated opinions, but just in case you aren't I'll bite:

Absolutely! If the majority of the people wish to see a black/white/asian/disabled/eastern european president after the results of an election then the will of the people must be respected and the only democratic thing to do should be to allow that person to accept their position as leader of this nation.

Also, there is only one race, and that is the human race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No Irish citizen should ever be denied the right to vote. That would be an even bigger slap in the face to those who died so we would have the right to vote.

The rules on non irish citizens voting are fine as they are. I see no reason to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I take note of your username and smile, but onto your question. If they are a citizen and are elected, then where exactly is the problem, or is it just the actual skin colour that concerns you?

I'm not sure if you are trying to wind me up here with your severely outdated opinions, but just in case you aren't I'll bite:

Absolutely! If the majority of the people wish to see a black/white/asian/disabled/eastern european president after the results of an election then the will of the people must be respected and the only democratic thing to do should be to allow that person to accept their position as leader of this nation.

Also, there is only one race, and that is the human race.

But would people like that. There are gangs in Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and in Cobh who would not be too happy. They could have their head shot off and what would happen then?

We'd be at war.

Is the Dumb opinion (chuckle, chuckle) in this thread racist or is it a respectful right wing opinion?

But would people like that. There are gangs in Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and in Cobh who would not be too happy. They could have their head shot off and what would happen then?

We'd be at war.

So we should not allow the will of the majority to come into effect because of a small minority in these places?

How hypocritical of you.

Minority A should not be allowed run the country because Minority B says so.

This is a republic and the will of the people is final.

Mena wrote: »
    I take note of your username and smile, but onto your question. If they are a citizen and are elected, then where exactly is the problem, or is it just the actual skin colour that concerns you?

But would they be elected. Is the country ready for the species to govern or would it take a few more years. I think the gangs would have something to say.

Hmm. Strange. Posting history disappoints.

But would they be elected. Is the country ready for the species to govern or would it take a few more years. I think the gangs would have something to say.

With all due respect I do believe that blacks and eastern european candidates would be at a serious disadvantage if they were to run for election.
    However, if Barack Obama can get elected in America. Why couldn't a black person be elected here?
    And believe me; the gangs in the USA are far more extreme than the ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I would always vote and would always ensure i have a good idea of the candidates etc. For various reasons (house moving, holidays, personal issues) this time around i was totally uneducted on the issues and really wasn't confident about voting. As the day progressed and it became clear that i was going to be cutting it tight to vote in time i was kinda glad. I just felt that i didn't know enough to make my vote count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

the species? what species?

i'm hoping that your not trying to be out and out racist here, but just misinformed or just a little uneducated.

*see i didn't say it :)

• Advertisement

1. White, black or green, we're all the same species.
    2. Who the hell cares what the "gangs" would say?

With all due respect I do believe that blacks and eastern european candidates would be at a serious disadvantage if they were to run for election.
    However, if Barack Obama can get elected in America. Why couldn't a black person be elected here?
    And believe me; the gangs in the USA are far more extreme than the ones here.

What about the RIRA, CIRA etc.

Limerick gangs would stab them to death. The ones in Tallaght would blow their heads off

why is that then dumb? cos they is black?

This thread is heading the way of AH I am afraid.

the species? what species?

i'm hoping that your not trying to be out and out racist here, but just misinformed or just a little uneducated.

*see i didn't say it :)

Sorry about that. Back in my day in Tallaght they were know as the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't agree with this. If someone is working here, paying their taxes and contributing to society then why shouldn't they get a say in the running of the country and ultimately how their taxes should be spent?

why is that then dumb? cos they is black?

That would be it. I don't hate them but these gangs would pop their heads off.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dumb banned for trolling. I'm disappointed with the amount of troll-feeding that happened on this thread.

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. If someone is working here, paying their taxes and contributing to society then why shouldn't they get a say in the running of the country and ultimately how their taxes should be spent?

Because in my opinion, I believe a person who wishes to seek asylum in this country must give to society before receiving certain benefits from our society.
    I agree with 'them' being allowed a voice in local elections but I Dáil Éireann to me, as a house of national voice and not until one holds an Irish passport should they be included in that national voice.
    Legally an Irish person is a person with an Irish passport and the Dáil is an Irish-only club.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. Back in my day in Tallaght they were know as the species.

must be some long ago time, because I've never heard a black person being called that in Tallaght.

That would be it. I don't hate them but these gangs would pop their heads off.

this is obviously just your opinion, dumb, but I very much doubt that any drug gang in Tallaght is going to pop a cap in any politician's ass just because of the colour of their skin. The fallout from such a move would be so huge, it just wouldn't happen.

Advertisement