Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should everyone really be allowed vote?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

They already do it with the Senate. Which is totally wrong in my opinion and needs to change right away.

Agreed, the Senate itself needs some major change anyway.
    Senate should be a lot more like the American style and should be elected by all who can choose Dáil seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Ludo wrote: »
    Maybe we could get potential TDs/ministers to do the same test...I suspect many of them would fail miserably.

What a rediculous thread...that high horse seems to be awfully crowded with those who think they have more of a right to vote than anyone else.

sorry if I keep repeating myself here, I just feel that the idea is being picked up the wrong way. What im trying to say here is that peoples votes should mean something. And they certainly would if the voter no matter how smart or stupid he/she was went down to some local hall , signed in , read a bit of info for 10 mins on the candidates, left and got put on the register.

This isnt about high horses, or "I know more than these people" , or snobbynes or anything. Its about people voting that not only dont know what theyre voting on, but dont CARE.
    Why should the country leaders be helped decided by people that have no interest either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

wylo wrote: »
    sorry if I keep repeating myself here, I just feel that the idea is being picked up the wrong way. What im trying to say here is that peoples votes should mean something. And they certainly would if the voter no matter how smart or stupid he/she was went down to some local hall , signed in , read a bit of info for 10 mins on the candidates, left and got put on the register.

This isnt about high horses, or "I know more than these people" , or snobbynes or anything. Its about people voting that not only dont know what theyre voting on, but dont CARE.
    Why should the country leaders be helped decided by people that have no interest either way.

There was a massive amount of spoilt votes in the North during the European Election with many people writing essays on MP expenses and refusing to vote. They just used the oppurtunity to make a political statement.
    What a stupid thing to do huh?
    Granted, yes, but I still believe people should have a right to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

There was a massive amount of spoilt votes in the North during the European Election with many people writing essays on MP expenses and refusing to vote. They just used the oppurtunity to make a political statement.
    What a stupid thing to do huh?
    Granted, yes, but I still believe people should have a right to do it.
    they obviously cared about their vote, and they saw that spoiling it was the best option. That to me is far far better than someone voting for someone theyve neither heard of ever care to hear about again.

Advertisement