Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New XP install display problem

• 07-06-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Have installed XP and used the motherboard CD to install the drivers.
    The video display was fine before and is fine in safe mode, but for some reason after booting the display is all fuzzy and windows locks up.

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Well an F8 and 'Last known good config' sorted that out, but now I'm left with an error mark on the VGA in Device Manager.
    I also have a error mark on the network card. Windows doesn't seem to like the driver on the CD for the RTL 8111C onboard LAN. I tried updating it manually instead of the CD doing it automatically, but I was denied access. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There might be an IRQ conflict between those two devices.

Co into "Device Manager", right click on one or the other and hit properties. What is the "Device status" for them?

Checked Device manager and I now actually have three errors marks.

Two, Audio and VGA are Code 1. Drivers not installed correctly and the Network adapter which is a Code 28 driver error. There are no conflicts, I suppose because the drivers for the other two are uninstalled.

It was when I installed the VGA driver I got the fuzzy screen and last known good config has returned to before that I suppose.

If I could get the Network card going I could update online hopefully.
    I also have USB disabled in BIOS as when it's enabled windows freezes.

It's new motherboard. This one... GA-G31M-ES2L

Using a new XP Pro SP2 install disk.

Just ran a chkdsk. Then I tried to manually install the Audio driver from the CD.
    Seemed to load ok, but when it tried to reboot it locked up even before it could close down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go into Safe mode and install the driver in there, uninstall any driver in Safe mode first tho.

• Advertisement

Tried all that.
    Windows is denying me access to the network adapter when I try to uninstall it.

Found some errors in Event viewer, but they don't really help as they are related to the network adapter. :(

18:18:51 The DHCP client service depends on the NETBIOS over Tcpip Service which has failed to start because of the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning. (That'll be the ethernet controller then.)

18:18:51 Failed to start DNC client: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

18:18:51 Failed to start TCP\IP NETBIOS: A device attached the system is not functioning.

18:18:51 Failed to start IPSEC Sevices service: A device attached the system is not functioning.

18:18:51 Service control manager.
    The following Boot-Start or System Start driver(s) failed to load..
    AFD
    Fips
    Intelppm
    IPSec
    MRxSub
    NetBios
    NetBT
    RasAcd
    Rdbss
    Tcpip

Guess these are all due to the network adapter/ ethernet controller not being installed correctly.

Have a look in the BIOS and make sure that the ethernet port is enabled. I know if some boards reset the LAN card is switched off by default for some reason.

Yep. Onboard H/W LAN enabled.

Is a refomat out of the question?

I was actually thinking bout a repair install myself.
    Do you think I should go the whole hog and reformat drive again?
    Drive is good. Checked a few times with Seagate Tools for DOS.

• Advertisement

I would reformat, make sure you don't do a quick format on it. Then re-install XP.

Take a look and see what drivers are there and then install them one by one starting with the MB drivers first. Do a restart after every driver install aswell just incase.

Ok, but I'll have to disable stuff in BIO before doing it. When I first instlled, I got the 'Install stopped at 33/34mins' error and the fix is to disable unnecessary stuff in BIOS beforehand. Or maybe I'll just try disabling all but LAN.

Had done a full format and reinstall. Disabled all in BIOS but Onboard LAN.
    I now have an installed network card and VGA drivers, but when I enable USB or Audio windows locks up. :confused:

Installing SP 3 now.

Will then try a Manufacturer website check for other drivers.

Updated BIOS to F8. (Was running F5)

Ran drivers again and have updated all windows updates except IE8.
    Device manager shows no warning or error icons.
    With 'Optimised Defaults' loaded it still locks up on loading desktop.
    When booted to safe mode runs fine.
    Event viewer viewer shows the same errors as before..

The following Boot-Start or System Start driver(s) failed to load..
    AFD
    Fips
    Intelppm
    IPSec
    MRxSub
    NetBios
    NetBT
    RasAcd
    Rdbss
    Tcpip

So I'm guessing this is due to safe mode running. Can't check Event Viewer after normal boot.

I tried debugging mode but still locked up.

Runs fine without USB and Audio.

Wonder if the PSU is powerful enough, although there's hardly anything that is stressing it. It's only a 250W. Although the reported voltages don't look bad.
    Vcore - 1.348v
    DDR18V - 1.920v
    +3.3V - 3.296V
    +12v - 12.11V

I have a 300W lying around so may try that tomorrow.

Otherwise..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Sounds to me like drivers, are they right for OS and latest versions?

21/25

The drivers auto loaded from the Motherboard DVD.
    I double checked that I had the drivers loaded via their online driver utility.
    Seemed fine.

Another thing that'll need sorting is the Front Panel Audio pin placement.
    I think there is a difference in a couple of the positions.
    Here's a side by side look from both of the manuals for old board and new board.

FPAudiopinsettings.jpg?t=1244582378

1, 2, & 3 look the same. 4 looks different as do most of the others.

Have decided to concentrate on the Audio problem first now that Display is working. Was the old monitor I was using I guess.

I uninstalled all USB and Audio related drivers in Device manager and then rebooted to normal. Winodws detected the drivers and installed them, I had the motherboard CD in. When it went to restart, it frooze before restarting as before, did not run in normal mode again either.
    I am using that PC now. It runs fine without USB and Audio enabled.
    Uninstalled drivers for both USB and Audio again. This time I Disable only the USB in BIOS and let the PC start normally.
    Windows detects 'Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus'. I update the driver manuallvia the device manager with the motherboard CD in .Drivers load - 'Finished loading Realtek High Definition Audio'. A few seconds later the speaker icon appears. No lock up.
    Restart PC - Audio on shutting down but then freezes when it gets to logging off screen. Have to soft power off.
    Restarts with audio on normal boot but then freezes on loading personal settings.
    Disable Audio - Normal boot.
    No errors in Event Viewer.

Must be a driver problem and not a PSU problem.

Have checked Memory and done a stress test using Prime95. No problems reported.

It's still USB and Audio. I can have USB enabled in BIOS but when I plug in a USB card reader it locks up, even though the icon shows up as connected. Same problem with the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. After installing and going to reboot, I get the shut down sounds from windows, but then it locks up and won't shut down.

I am in contact with Gigabyte and they have suggested a few things, but I have done all of them before, waiting to hear their next suggestion.

I also emailed the Realtek support group in USA, but have not had a reply yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement