Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematics - Ordinary Level - Paper 2, Q.6 - Probability

Options
  • 07-06-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Probability.

I dropped down to Ordinary level just before my mocks and I still haven't really gotten a full understanding of probability. My main trouble is with 2007, Paper 2, Question 6, (c) parts ii, iii, and iv.

Any help and/or explanation on how to do it? Kinda bewildered...

:) (It's my backup question anyway)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

MGSman123 wrote: »
    Probability.

I dropped down to Ordinary level just before my mocks and I still haven't really gotten a full understanding of probability. My main trouble is with 2007, Paper 2, Question 6, (c) parts ii, iii, and iv.

:) (It's my backup question anyway)

Ok when I worked them out, I got for
    i) 5x4x3=60
    ii) 2x4x3=24
    iii) 4x3x1=12
    iv) 2x3x1=6

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

i) 5x4x3=60
    ii) 2x4x3=24
    iii) 4x3x1=12
    iv) 2x3x1=6

They are all right, I just done that question myself. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

please help, I haven't a clue of paper2!!! the questions I'm gonna try are 1,2,3,7,11!!!

I'm trying to revise but none of the stuff will go in!!
    Anyone have any suggestions?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Just keep doing exam questions. The only real effective way to study maths IMO. If that fails, id suggest hanging yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

i) 5x4x3=60
    ii) 2x4x3=24
    iii) 4x3x1=12
    iv) 2x3x1=6

Oh, yeah, they are they answers. I'm looking at the marking scheme. What I'm trying to figure out, though, is the process for achieving those answers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Solas Way

MGSman123 wrote: »
    Probability.

Took me a bit to find the a website to find the exam papers (mine start at 2005, a firend had spares and I dropped down 3 weeks ago><)

Main thing to remember is the numbers in the spaces are the availible options and have no link with the numbers given in the question, (as in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in this one). That's what got me for a while.

So I hope this is the question:

How many different three-digit numbers can be formed from the digits
    2, 3, 4, 5, 6, if each of the digits can be used only once in each number?

How many of the numbers are less than 400?
    5 Numbers, 5 options.
    looking at the first box only 2 of those numbers are less than 4. 2 and 3
    and it doesn't really matter what we put in the 2nd and 3rd boxes, as the number will still be less than 400.

so 2x4x3=24

How many of the numbers are divisible by 5?
    Seeing as it is divisable by 5, the last digit must be either 0 or 5 and since 0 isn't one of the given digits only 5 can go there.
    so the third digit has one possibility.
    the first two slots don't really matter for this part.
    so 4x3x1=12

How many of the numbers are less than 400 and divisible by 5?

Like in part (ii) it must end in 5, The first digit must be less that 4, leaving 2 options and the middle doesn't matter.

2x3x1=6

Hope I did this correctly/ havn't confused you as I'm not the clearest person.
    BTW Good luck:)
    Hopefully we'll get a nice paper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

please help, I haven't a clue of paper2!!! the questions I'm gonna try are 1,2,3,7,11!!!

your missing a question

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

Solas Way wrote: »
    Took me a bit to find the a website to find the exam papers (mine start at 2005, a firend had spares and I dropped down 3 weeks ago><)

Main thing to remember is the numbers in the spaces are the availible options and have no link with the numbers given in the question, (as in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in this one). That's what got me for a while.

So I hope this is the question:

How many of the numbers are less than 400?
    5 Numbers, 5 options.
    looking at the first box only 2 of those numbers are less than 4. 2 and 3
    and it doesn't really matter what we put in the 2nd and 3rd boxes, as the number will still be less than 400.

so 2x4x3=24

How many of the numbers are divisible by 5?
    Seeing as it is divisable by 5, the last digit must be either 0 or 5 and since 0 isn't one of the given digits only 5 can go there.
    so the third digit has one possibility.
    the first two slots don't really matter for this part.
    so 4x3x1=12

How many of the numbers are less than 400 and divisible by 5?

Like in part (ii) it must end in 5, The first digit must be less that 4, leaving 2 options and the middle doesn't matter.

2x3x1=6

Hope I did this correctly/ havn't confused you as I'm not the clearest person.
    BTW Good luck:)
    Hopefully we'll get a nice paper.
    Wow! Thanks a bunch. That cleared up loads. Only thing I'm wondering is, why did ya pick, for the first part, 4 and 3 at the end?

You know, 2x4x3=24. I kinda get that the 5 in 5! is being replaced by the 2, isn't it, but where are the 1 and 2 gone? (i.e. 5!=5x4x3x2x1)

-MGSman123.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Solas Way

It's a 3 digit number so we're not asked to go down to 2 and 1. (2x1)

I picked 4 and 3 as the 2nd and 3rd digits because I already used 1 digit for the first one. so only have 4 letters left that could go into slot 2 and then only 3 digits left that could go into slot 3.

A bit late but may come in handy sometime.

Advertisement