Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gay marriage be legal in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

In my opinion without a doubt, I mean its absolute nonsense that in the 21st century a religous nut from the sticks in some backwater in Ireland can restrict the freedom of a person who lives hundreds of miles away.

I'm not gay and if I seen two gay guys I might have a little snigger to myself on the odd occassion but when it comes down to it I fully support same sex marriage.

I have added a poll, please give me some faith in the people of this country because sometimes I just don't know.:rolleyes:

Should same sex marriages be permitted in Ireland 413 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    99% 412 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's not that it should be legal .. it's more a case of it shouldn't be illegal.

What 2 people want to do is up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Civil Partnership - Yes
    Marriage - hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Godamn it, yes.

There isn't a single good reason as to why it shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

mikemac wrote: »
    Marriage - hell no!

But why do you think that? Religious reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

if 2 people want to enter a partnership resulting in extreme unhappyness i dont think we should stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why marriage?:confused: Civil partnerships are recognised and legal, surely that's enough.:confused:

Civil Partnership - Yes
    Marriage - hell no!

Hey, the 60's called. They wanted to let you know that 'separate but equal' is a really terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I posted this (http://www.janegalt.net/blog/archives/005244.html) in the thread for the Expand your Horizons forum, and I think it asks some good questions regarding gay marraige and it's introduction. (It looks really long, if you look at the sidebar - but that's mostly comments)

Overall, I'm in favour of it, but I don't see it as 'disgraceful' or 'backward' that we don't have it, and I don't look down on people who disagree with it.

Oh, and opposition to gay marriage is not just to do with religion. Or bigotry.
    There are valid sociological concerns regarding messing around with marriage and how it is constituted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nehcola

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Random wrote: »
    It's not that it should be legal .. it's more a case of it shouldn't be illegal.

Meh, the church is a club and makes up rules for its members to follow. If they don't want gay people to marry within the church then that's up to them. Why try to force them to? They spent a long time forcing people to do thing and now we think it's right to the the same to them? I say let them have their crazy religion.

Civil partnerships for gay people should be allowed. Immediately, and with the same legal rights as married heteros.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No. The problem is when two gay guys get married they'll then start having gay kids. Then before you know it the gayness will spread like wild fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why marriage?:confused: Civil partnerships are recognised and legal, surely that's enough.:confused:

They are not the same. Civil unions do not offer the same privileges.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Civil partnerships for gay people should be allowed. Immediately, and with the same legal rights as married heteros.

I would agree.

Hey, the 60's called. They wanted to let you know that 'separate but equal' is a really terrible idea.

I've only heard of separate but equal rights to do with civil rights in America which ain't the topic of this thread and that went in 1954, not the 1960's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

No. The problem is when two gay guys get married they'll then start having gay kids. Then before you know it the gayness will spread like wild fire.

Thats the negative side, on the plus side if two camp ghey's get married one will assume the role of the wife and remain indoors thus reducing the amount of annoying campness inflicted upon normal non camp people.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Meh, the church is a club and makes up rules for its members to follow. If they don't want gay people to marry within the church then that's up to them. Why try to force them to? They spent a long time forcing people to do thing and now we think it's right to the the same to them? I say let them have their crazy religion.

*ahem* There is a legal marriage which means something, and a religious one, which means diddlysquat. The former is the one we're concerned with.

though as to your reasoning, Fuck that noise, the church (any church) does not own the word marriage or dictate how it gets to be applied.

If you're referring to civil rights in America which ain't the topic of this thread then "seperate but equal" went in 1954, not the 1960's!

the Civil rights act of 1964 wants a word with you.

Also, it is very much the topic as people who advocate civil partnerships for same sex couples are making the exact same bullshit excuses as the original proponents of 'seperate but equal'.

O'TOOLE79 wrote: »
    In my opinion without a doubt, I mean its absolute nonsense that in the 21st century a religous nut from the sticks in some backwater in Ireland can restrict the freedom of a person who lives hundreds of miles away.

Cool, that's your opinion
    O'TOOLE79 wrote: »

I have added a poll, please give me some faith in the people of this country because sometimes I just don't know.:rolleyes:

OP, I've started threads in this forum, in fact I started one 20 minutes ago before a mod moved it to a more appropiate forum.
    And in my opinion you can't realy start a poll and then add a sarcastic line about everyone who will disagree with you. Poor form if nothing else

But it's done anyway, and it's an interesting topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

This video was posted around the time of the Miss America debacle, I found it interesting, and I like cartoons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I think they should be allowed! It's aload of crap that some people feel that they should deny others this right. We say we live in a free world and everybody is equal but aparently some are 'more' equal than others!

The problem I see though is generally gay people are not very religious and I think people who don't believe in God and religion shouldn't be allowed to get married, the same goes for straight people. It is a religious ceremony, so what is the point of performing it if you do not believe in religion?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

smk89 wrote: »
    if 2 people want to enter a partnership resulting in extreme unhappyness i dont think we should stop them

LOL! True!

I think there's no reason in the world it shouldn't be legal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

No.
    Its just wrong, Im not coming from a religious point of view at all but when I see two guys kissing or being intimate I physically feel sick, I know its cool these days to be gay but Im not buying it. Savage me all you want people but I thnk its wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah - gay guys are always getting each other ass pregnant. It's a fuppin' disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think they should be allowed! It's aload of crap that some people feel that they should deny others this right. We say we live in a free world and everybody is equal but aparently some are 'more' equal than others!

The problem I see though is generally gay people are not very religious and I think people who don't believe in God and religion shouldn't be allowed to get married, the same goes for straight people. It is a religious ceremony, so what is the point of performing it if you do not believe in religion?:confused:

That's like my kids fighting over not having equal pieces of Pepporoni on their pizza. then one of them pulled the pieces off coz, she didn't like pepporoni, she just wanted what her sister had.:D

the Civil rights act of 1964 wants a word with you.

True enough, that was the main case.
    But in 1954 was the main Supreme Court case.

Realy, that are several cases in different years which changed things.
    You picked the main one, I picked one of the earliest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course it should be, I'm not a philistine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Random wrote: »

That arguement doesn't really apply here, since gay people aren't asking to be allowed to call each other husband and husband.
    They want tax breaks etc, which involve state recognition, which means it's not a case of "Ah sure, leave them alone", but rather "Give us money and recognise/approve of our union and let us adopt children".
    It's not a case of them being stopped from doing something (they can already get 'married'), but of the government actually actively recognising their unions, and treating them like normal marraiges.

The arguement that "the state should stay out of the bedroom" does not apply in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

FearDark wrote: »
    Savage me all you want people but I thnk its wrong.

But if I savaged you wouldn't that make you physically sick? Or would it only do that if we were in front of a mirror and you could see me savage you?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Yes, yes, for the love of god yes!

If someone has objections on a basis of religion, there is separation of church and state for that very reason.

This is the civil rights movement of our generation.

Advertisement