Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gay marriage be legal in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

No to marriage. Yes to Civil Unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

ADTR wrote: »

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The main issue here isn't entirely recognition by Catholic Church. To me the thread was to see what the social standing is among AH on this topic, which is either going to be made with rough or soft responses...

It isn't the main issue at all. The main issue for me is how it will affect society at large.
    Hell from a legal stand point though, Is it even possible for Gay's to be civilly married in Ireland?

Civil Partnerships aren't marriages. They will be able to get civil partnerships once the legislation passes this year, but gay marriages are not being considered by the Government.
    Also... would a Gay marraige go against that Blashpemy Law? 0o"

No. The blasphemy law that is being put out only deals with speech and publications that cause gross offence to a large proportion of religious adherents. It is up to the courts to interpret what exactly this is. It may never even come into practice. I don't even see why a blasphemy law is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

why are straight people allowed to marry and gay people only allowed to enter a partnership??i really don't get people who are against this....how on earth would legalising gay marraige harm anybody?it won't warp kids' minds, it won't hurt straight marraige, it's just disgusting that gays are treated like 2nd class citizens. this reminds me of the Divorce referendum when the opposors reckoned that perfectly happy couples would inexplicably begin divorcing if it was legailised and thus it would destroy the very fabric of society:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This.

You are both wrong. I've said it once before but it bares repeating "Seperate but equal is a terrible idea"

Straight people don't own the word marriage, neither does any religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

why are straight people allowed to marry and gay people only allowed to enter a partnership??i really don't get people who are against this....how on earth would legalising gay marraige harm anybody?it won't warp kids' minds, it won't hurt straight marraige, it's just disgusting that gays are treated like 2nd class citizens. this reminds me of the Divorce referendum when the opposors reckoned tha perfectly happy couples would inexplicably begin divorcing if it was legailised and thus it would destroy the very fabric of society:rolleyes:
    I would not have said it better myself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

how on earth would legalising gay marraige harm anybody?it won't warp kids' minds, it won't hurt straight marraige

Exactly. But Ireland's good old 4 remaining Catholics would have you believe that it'll turn children gay and no straight people would ever get married again because of the allure of The Gays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Its the 21st Century, time we forget about marriage full stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ban straight marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I honestly can't get over this type of bull****. People posting as if letting two men/women marry will destroy the very fabric of society yet I can't get off a Bus in Dublin city center without seeing Junkies shoot up, I can't go out on a Saturday night without being surrounded by depravity, I can't leave my home without triple locking the door and setting an alarm, I can't walk in my local park on a sunny day without having to share it with a gang of useless drunken abusive wasters, I could go on.

Yes, gay marriage will destroy the fabric of our noble society. Get real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Straight people don't own the word marriage, neither does any religion.

+ a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Basically they should be allowed marry under the state or under any religion that they are happy to believe in and are willing to marry under.

If gay marrige is against the teachings of any religion, i don't think they should be forced to allow that marrige to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dragan wrote: »
    If gay marrige is against the teachings of any religion, i don't think they should be forced to allow that marrige to be honest.
    I don't think anyone is asking that they should. Marring is civil issue in modern society and only requires the blessing of human beings. Approval from your, or anyone elses, imaginary friends isn't that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

I voted yes and would do it again, I see nothing wrong with two people whether same sex or not commiting there love for one another in the highest possible way? I would have no problem to see two men adopt a child if it was going to give it a loving home? I know and still see many children that were never show any love and affection? why should it matter if their parents are two males or two females showing that love to them?

Saying that isn't it meant to be the case for hetro couples tax calculated joint or separately should end in the same result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

The definition of the 'family' really needs to be re-evaluated in this country. The vanilla option of one man and his woman model is fine for the majority. Such as myself :). However, I would not deny another section of society the right to marriage.

Society has changed so much in the last fifty years. I think the law should adapt to reflect that.

Just because homsexual people want to enter into marriage does not in any way lessen the traditional model.

However, I would not extend the benefits of marriage to people who are merely co-habiting.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Crucifix wrote: »
    Ban straight marriage
    That's the most sensible thing anybody has posted on this thread.

The idea of marriage is quite an outdated one. Let matrimony be a religious rite and civil partnership be a civil right. For everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

At the risk of jinxing this, I must congratulate the populous of AH for their maturity. We've collectively proved that contrary to popular belief, it IS possible for there to be a serious and constructive debate in here without everything descending into "yore ma". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Yore other ma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Copied this from another site:

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans

Yes, it's from an American point of view but I think it gets the point across. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I only support gay marriage if both chicks are hot

:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Yes it should be permitted in Ireland..
    What is the difference between man and woman and man and man??? I dont think there should be any difference made! If they love each other they should be able to get married later in life too!

Yore other ma

Yore ma's yer da.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

The pope will never allow it because then there'll be no priests left, they'll all leave the church and get married to each other!

The pope will never allow it because then there'll be no priests left, they'll all leave the church and get married to each other!

ok do then!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Godamn it, yes.

There isn't a single good reason as to why it shouldn't.

It is against the wishes of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Dumb wrote: »

That's not what he told me.

Anyway, the church should stay out of civil matters.

thats why I am not with any religion!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If it is, then why do you think the prayer ends with A-Men?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

That's not what he told me.

Anyway, the church should stay out of civil matters.

Look at it. Would Our Lord favour two fellas rubbing their dicks up against each other. I don't think so. That's a disgusting at. Filthy, dirty. All that auld stuff they do like pulling back the foreskin and rubbing each other. That's just wrong. :mad:

Advertisement