Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gay marriage be legal in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

A civil thing might be alright for 'em.

Otherwise,what's the point?

It beggars belief to me that they want the same deal as the rest of us.

Simply put, they're not the same as the rest of us & bleeding heart liberals/crusties/hippies/SF voters/Rosport activists, should just get used to it!

Sick of listning to the perverts in society.

It's always gonna cost the rest of us, financially, or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jakkass wrote: »
    I would love homosexuals as much as any other minority to come and attend my church. In a church a marriage is to be between a man and a woman so that option will not be available. However, I think homosexuals are entirely welcome to know about the truth and the life of Jesus Christ.

You are implying that Christians in general hate homosexuals when they really don't.
    That is not AT ALL what I was implying. I didn't come here with an anti-Christian agenda. If your church (I don't know what type of Christian you are) welcomes gay people to attend, that's good. I don't disagree with a religious group not allowing gay people married in places of worship - I made that clear earlier on. What I disagree with is religious groups speaking out against gay marriage even if the couple in question have or want nothin to do with that religion. I'm all for allowing religious freedom as long as it doesn't interfere with peoples' rights. As far as I'm concerned, marriage is primarily a civil/legal ceremony and gay people should have as much right to do it as straight people.
    I don't want gay marriage to go ahead because there are so many concerns that aren't being dealt with. I would need assurances on these concerns before I could ever get behind it.
    I'm not the best person to address your concerns because to be perfectly honest none of them concern me.
    I feel like I have addressed your concerns, I just haven't given you the answers you want to hear.

These are my personal views on your concerns:
    The impact gay marriage will have on the "traditional family unit"? Sorry but "the traditional family unit" is an outdated notion. There are no "normal" families, each family is different. Who's to say that the home of a married heterosexual couple is the best environment to raise a child? Every couple is different; some married couples make wonderful parents, others not so much. Gay couples, however, would have to be scrutinised very carefully before an adoption agency would hand them a child.

This leads to gay adoption? Fantastic. Bring it on.

Gay marriage interfering with practice of religion? I think this can be avoided. If not, then I believe that the right to marriage is greater than the right to religious freedom and so the latter should be forced to accept gay marriage in society.

Gay marriage leads to incest and polygamy? I don't think it will, but if it does, meh. I don't condemn incest or polygamy and would have no problems with them being legal.
    The second these concerns are cleared up I will be more open to the concept. Until then I cannot support it.
    As above, the concerns you have don't concern me whatsoever. So as far as I' concerned, everything is cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I don't condemn incest or polygamy and would have no problems with them being legal.

As above, the concerns you have don't concern me whatsoever. So as far as I' concerned, everything is cleared up.

Yeah, that's well cleared up.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    it's not like people sat around and went HMM WHAT CAN WE MARRY NEXT.

I laughed good and loud at this.

No good reason to keep gay marriage down. "Seperate but equal" is supposed to be a thing of the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

O'TOOLE79 wrote: »
    In my opinion without a doubt, I mean its absolute nonsense that in the 21st century a religous nut from the sticks in some backwater in Ireland can restrict the freedom of a person who lives hundreds of miles away.

I'm not gay and if I seen two gay guys I might have a little snigger to myself on the odd occassion but when it comes down to it I fully support same sex marriage.

I have added a poll, please give me some faith in the people of this country because sometimes I just don't know.:rolleyes:
    You realise that marriage is the product of some religous nut's, from the backwater of God knows where, imagination, right?

Also, I'm sure that I could track down at least one religous non-nut, one non-religous nut and one non-religous non-nut from every CITY in the world who disagrees with gay marriage.

I don't care either way, I just find your phrasing to be a bit on the retarded side. Not you, your construction of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You realise that marriage is the product of some religous nut's, from the backwater of God knows where, imagination, right?

Wrong, marriage was originally a civil contract before it ever had religious meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭CAPSLOCK365

Wrong, marriage was originally a civil contract before it ever had religious meaning.
    Prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah, that's well cleared up.:rolleyes:

It is isn't it? Oh I'm so glad you agree. I get ever so upset when people on the internet don't feel exactly the same way as I do. Some of them go as far as to use SARCASM! :eek: Oh it hurts so so badly. I wish everyone was as agreeable and sincere as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

That_Guy wrote: »
    No "may" about it. It is bloody contradictory.

You sound exactly like my "homophobic" friend who hates the thought of two men with each other but can yet be aroused by two women. It's completely contradictory and I hear this all the time from lads and it absolutely wrecks my head.

When any guy I know here's the word homosexual being uttered they automatically think of two guys. Very bloody annoying.

I hate the fact that people look down on homosexuality. It's more so guys though that seem to be targeted more from the stories I've often heard. It's as if there's something "wrong" with these people. Guys getting beaten up for liking other men is just absolutely ridiculous and disgusting.

It's all down to the church saying that it's wrong etc and then we have cases of priests molesting young boys.

In this day and age surely it should be allowed to happen.
    " I hear this all the time from lads and it absolutely wrecks my head. " Well obviously I'm not in a minority, just because me and others refuse to kid ourselves with the politically correct stance and think it's enlightened and cool to tolerate gays. To be honest I did once or twice enage in a bit of gay bullying in my late teens but that was many years ago and it's somethiing I'm genuinely very regretful of. No matter what noone deserves to be mistreated because they are different and as I said it's somethiing I'm genuinely very regretful of. I won't say it's down to the church ( God knows their blamed for everything these days - and I'm certainly no lover of the Catholic Church. In fact I'd probably be an atheist, but religion never has entered my head ).

Say what you will, a straight man doesn't like gay men - or for that matter the big fat slobs of lesbians who are just man haters under it all.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Have you just a bad sense of humour or did your mother drop you on the head a lot?
    No, I just like crumpet, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Quit trolling McArmalite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fierce x

Yes absolutely! Would you trade your marriage for a civil partnership, if they're both "equal"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Prove it.

Hes Right, previously marriage was done for Land, Respect, Status etc. Binding contract, man owned women.
    By this I mean you married for personal gain, not ''Love''

The ''Romance'' and ''Love'' we strive for is only maybe 200 years old! Read some Sociology books on Social Contact. Very Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I am 100% in favour of gay marriage there is no reason that I can see why it shouldnt happen.

Gay adoption however im not as comfortable with. The reason I say that is firstly I dont think anybody has the right to adopt whether they are gay or straight. The principal reason for adoption is because the child needs a good home for whatever reason. It is first and foremost for the child.

I think that an ideal couple for adoption are a man and a woman for the simple reason that in a relationship and in looking after children men and woman usually would have a slightly different approach to situations and ideally I think a child should have the benefit of both sexes and perspectives growing up.

I know there are some terrible straight couples with children and its unfortunate that more cant be done to protect the children in those situations but when an adoption board strives to find as close to the perfect couple for a child then surely that couple would have both sexes involved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

cooperguy wrote: »
    I am 100% in favour of gay marriage there is no reason that I can see why it shouldnt happen.

Gay adoption however im not as comfortable with. The reason I say that is firstly I dont think anybody has the right to adopt whether they are gay or straight. The principal reason for adoption is because the child needs a good home for whatever reason. It is first and foremost for the child.

I think that an ideal couple for adoption are a man and a woman for the simple reason that in a relationship and in looking after children men and woman usually would have a slightly different approach to situations and ideally I think a child should have the benefit of both sexes and perspectives growing up.

I know there are some terrible straight couples with children and its unfortunate that more cant be done to protect the children in those situations but when an adoption board strives to find as close to the perfect couple for a child then surely that couple would have both sexes involved ?

But sometimes one of the men is quite feminine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

its an abomination against nature and god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

thebullkf wrote: »
    its an abomination against nature and god.

Have you asked god? I did. Guy loves gay weddings, thinks they're great.

And if the big guy is cool with them, well who are we to argue.

Have you asked god? I did. Guy loves gay weddings, thinks they're great.

And if the big guy is cool with them, well who are we to argue.

god is a girl!!!!

and she loves an oul hot beef injection :p

thebullkf wrote: »
    god is a girl!!!!

Got an awfully big adams apple for a girl.......

Got an awfully big adams apple for a girl.......

thats a ball holder for maximum oral pleasure:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

Where have all the real men gone...............

Imagine in a few years time, 99.99% of all men are ghey, I suppose it will have its advantages, I'm the only one left !!!!!, no more wars, no more corrupted politicians or bankers (loads of fashion designers tho!), and the world population will grind to a halt !

derby7 wrote: »
    Where have all the real men gone...............
    I'm the only one left

I assure you, you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

I assure you, you are not
    ...denial is the 1st sign :D

derby7 wrote: »
    ...denial is the 1st sign :D

That.....doesn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That.....doesn't make any sense.

Its a variant of the Wookie defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

Same-sex marriage should be a non-issue. It should have never been illegal in the first place. Religion should have nothing to do with civil marriage. The bible advocates the slave trade but we decided to ignore that quite some time ago. It's time for society to move on and stop being so ignorant. Sexual orientation is not a choice and homosexual relationships deserve the same legal recognition as heterosexual relationships. In the US, the states with the highest divorce rates are those most opposed to same-sex marriage, while those with the lowest divorce rates are most supportive of same-sex marriage. Perhaps the possibility of a same-sex couple having a more functional and legitimate relationship makes people feel bitter? That same-sex marriage is illegal is absurd. If one party of a same-sex relationship gets gender reassignment surgery then BAM, the couple can get married! A gay man can marry a lesbian woman (and their partners can marry each other), so as to get the benefits, but they can't marry the people they love. I guess gay people who want to get married and have a life which is respected by the law should just stay in the closet. Hey, that's how they do it in New York:

From [url]www.medicalnewstoday.com:[/url]
    "Almost 10% of men who said they were straight had had sex with at least one man during the last twelve months, according to a new study carried out by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. 70% of them were married." (Full study HERE)

We need to work towards eradicating homophobia on all levels. Ensuring that same-sex relationships are not seen as "lesser" relationships is a first step. There's an article in the Sun today about the ridiculous amount of "straight" married men cruising gay internet dating sites for hook-ups. Is this what people mean when they talk about the sanctity of marriage?

As for the people who are against gay adoption - seriously folks, there have been countless studies done on this subject.

CANADIAN JUSTICE DEPARTMENT:

"Parenting by same-sex families is just as good -- if not slightly advantageous -- for children when compared to heterosexual families, a Justice Department study has concluded."

"The paper references about 100 studies on parenting and children's development."

WEBMD:

"The vast consensus of all the studies shows that children of same-sex parents do as well as children whose parents are heterosexual in every way," she tells WebMD. "In some ways children of same-sex parents actually may have advantages over other family structures."

AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION:

"Fears about children of lesbians and gay men being sexually abused by adults, ostracized by peers, or isolated in single-sex lesbian or gay communities have received no support from the results of existing research.
    According to a report by the American Psychological Association, not one study out of nearly 50 found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect to those children raised by heterosexual parents."

And I could keep going if I had the time. SO. MANY. STUDIES. Here you go, a nice happy (married!) gay family: http://www.youtube.com/depfox

OK? Cut the crap and join the 21st century. Society has made some pretty bad mistakes in the past and stigmatizing same-sex relationships is one of them. It's time to move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annelouise

As long as both partners who want to enter into marriage are both over 18 and are adults they should be allowed to do whatever they want including marry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Have no idea why it isn't legal already. Nonsense altogether.

this same topic is here as well http://www.snazzydirectory.ie/board/topic/52
    so if like me you want to educate the ignorant
    log on and have your say
    i am lesbian and proud
    but i would shag jerry ryan he has huge tits

Surely you mean jeri Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Should gay marriage be legal in Ireland?

Sure isnt every marriage a gay event ? :D:D:D

Advertisement