Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gay marriage be legal in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cival Unions should be a minimum imo.

Marriage I belive should be available though. Its just a name in comparision to Cival Unions I know but I feel its a little discrimitory saying only straight people can marry, and gay people can have something similar, but not as good. (In some people eyes).

Ultimatley if it is only cival unions, gay couples can call each other husband/wife anyway and more power to them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Whether gays get married or not is none of my business. I don't care if they do nor will i campaign for their equal rights. they can do what they want as far as i'm concerned, not my place to stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

FearDark wrote: »
    No.
    Its just wrong, Im not coming from a religious point of view at all but when I see two guys kissing or being intimate I physically feel sick, I know its cool these days to be gay but Im not buying it. Savage me all you want people but I thnk its wrong.
    That's a completely illogical point of view.
    But thank you for recognising that.

I think some of the people who will savage you now would have the same gut reaction to incest, and yet see no hypocrisy with using their squeamishness as a reason to ban a different kind of relationship, one which they do not approve of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

100% in favour of gay marriage. Civil partnerships do not afford gay couples all the same rights as married hetereosexual couples and so they are not an adequate solution. (Also "I'm married" has much nicer ring to it than "I'm civilly partnered")
    If religious institutions don't want gay couples having ceremonies in their fancy buildings, that's their business. But that should not stand in the way of a gay couple having a legally recognised civil marriage.
    As for sociological implications - I fail to see any.
    O'TOOLE79 wrote: »
    I'm not gay and if I seen two gay guys I might have a little snigger to myself on the odd occassion

*facepalm*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

That's a completely illogical point of view.
    But thank you for recognising that.

I think some of the people who will savage you now would have the same gut reaction to incest, and yet see no hypocrisy with using their squeamishness as a reason to ban a different kind of relationship, one which they do not approve of.

Im sorry I dont get you.

• Advertisement

Cival Unions should be a minimum imo.

Marriage I belive should be available though. Its just a name in comparision to Cival Unions I know but I feel its a little discrimitory saying only straight people can marry, and gay people can have something similar, but not as good. (In some people eyes).

Ultimatley if it is only cival unions, gay couples can call each other husband/wife anyway and more power to them.
    What if we simply distinguish the two?
    Marraige = heterosexual union
    Marklar = Homosexual union

Incest is slightly different due to the slightly increased level of genetic abnormality, but thats an issue for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 O'TOOLE79

100% in favour of gay marriage. Civil partnerships do not afford gay couples all the same rights as married hetereosexual couples and so they are not an adequate solution. (Also "I'm married" has much nicer ring to it than "I'm civilly partnered")
    If religious institutions don't want gay couples having ceremonies in their fancy buildings, that's their business. But that should not stand in the way of a gay couple having a legally recognised civil marriage.
    As for sociological implications - I fail to see any.

*facepalm*

I didn't mean I laugh at them, just like a smile as in noticing a difference, I don't think what they're doing is wrong I'm just not used to seeing it.

Im sorry I dont get you.
    I was trying to say that I liked the fact that you admitted that you had no solid intellectual reason for opposing gay marriage, but simply disapproved of it.

I was also pointing out that people will slate you for it, citing the harm principle, when they themselves apply the same (lack of) reasoning to the issue of incest.

Essentially, nearly every argument in favour of gay marraige, can also be applied to incest. Which amuses me.

What if we simply distinguish the two?
    Marraige = heterosexual union
    Marklar = Homosexual union
    My point is that it shouldn't be distinguished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No.
    Its just wrong, Im not coming from a religious point of view at all but when I see two guys kissing or being intimate I physically feel sick, I know its cool these days to be gay but Im not buying it. Savage me all you want people but I thnk its wrong.

Stop watching gay guys get it on then :rolleyes:
    Personally I think if I was gawking at ugly straight couples being "intimate" I'd feel sick, but I don't think that's enough reason to stop them marrying :rolleyes:

Incest is slightly different due to the slightly increased level of genetic abnormality, but thats an issue for another day.
    Only in small populations, large populations such as ours can do grand with it, as long as it doesn't become a family tradition (several generations worth of incest causes massive problems, which I'm told can be seen in certain traveller families, but small amounts of incest can exist without causes problems, unless both siblings are cariers of a genetic abnormality).
    EDIT: I don't want to legalise incest, it just amuses me to wach people struggle to justify banning one and encouraging the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why marriage?:confused: Civil partnerships are recognised and legal, surely that's enough.:confused:

So it would be enough for you if you weren't allowed to marry a member of the opposite sex, you were only allowed a civil partnership ?
    I don't know that much on the subject but it all seems veryy silly to have people think that civil partnerships will "do" for gay people, and that its not reallyy discriminating them as we allow civil partnerships.

Its like going in to a deli and asking for a ham sandwich, but they give you turkey 'cause they think it will "do" as a substitute ? (bad comparison but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's a family matter.................grabs coat and runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

markok84 wrote: »
    This video was posted around the time of the Miss America debacle, I found it interesting, and I like cartoons.

This is a great video, and it shows why people can be concerned about the issue of gay marriage without it being the result of homophobia. People often wrongly link opposition to gay marriage and homophobia and in a sense some people are interested in stifling free discussion on the issue by calling people bigots and homophobes for showing opposition when there are potential issues to society that could transpire. So thanks a lot for showing my position in a nice and easy manner :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only in small populations, large populations such as ours can do grand with it, as long as it doesn't become a family tradition (several generations worth of incest causes massive problems, which I'm told can be seen in certain traveller families, but small amounts of incest can exist without causes problems, unless both siblings are cariers of a genetic abnormality).

Look it's someone's very attractive cousin.

True, I'm just saying that it is a slightly different issue as there is a small negative effect with incest while there is none with gay marriage.

I do agree that most arguments could b applied to both incest and homosexuality, and a lot of the time it comes down to people saying ew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The problem I see though is generally gay people are not very religious and I think people who don't believe in God and religion shouldn't be allowed to get married, the same goes for straight people. It is a religious ceremony, so what is the point of performing it if you do not believe in religion?:confused:
    Marriage is not always religious. People can easily have a civil wedding service at a registry office or somewhere else without the need to involve religion.
    I'd imagine loads of couples just go through the formalities of a religious wedding to please their families and/or because a beautiful church is a nice place to get married.
    No.
    Oh right, so gay couples who love each other and want to spend their lives together should not be allowed get married just because you personally don't like watching fellas get off?
    O'TOOLE79 wrote: »
    I didn't mean I laugh at them, just like a smile as in noticing a difference, I don't think what they're doing is wrong I'm just not used to seeing it.
    "snigger" was probably the wrong word to use if that's what you meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

No. The problem is when two gay guys get married they'll then start having gay kids. Then before you know it the gayness will spread like wild fire.

someone quick, get me the stupid comment punishment stick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

PlayGirl wrote: »
    So it would be enough for you if you weren't allowed to marry a member of the opposite sex, you were only allowed a civil partnership ?

Honestly wouldn't bother me, i have a strong enough commitment with wife, not worried what a piece of paper days.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Yes - if by marriage we mean legal and civil recognition.

What about gay couples of either gender, married or otherwise, seeking to adopt ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Oh right, so gay couples who love each other and want to spend their lives together should not be allowed get married just because you personally don't like watching fellas get off?

I think my point was that I feel that its wrong, unnatural would be a better word I suppose. Fact is that so far 1/4 of the poll indicates that homosexuals shouldnt be allowed marry but here I am on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

They should be allowed get married of course. Obviously not in a catholic church though (Im atheist for the record), they are a private club and have every right to refuse to marry someone. More to the point a homosexual who wanted to get married in a church has some serious problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

It's never anything new, but it still gives me a headache every single time I flick through one of these threads. Some... people... :confused:

Can a survey be done? The only arguments I'm seeing are 'iz rong!', so surely 90% of people actually opposed to this still haven't come to terms with two plus two?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

Marriage is only for the benefit of the two people involved so yes it should be allowed.
    With all the rights and tax benefits of straight couples.

To be honest its pretty Fucking horrible that a couple who care about each other not being able to marry.

I'm not too comfortable with gay adoption though. Especially because of the difficulties the child could suffer on account of other peoples bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You can not have gay marriage without gay adoption being the next logical step. Anyone who says you can is either naive or disingenous. Gay adoption is the part I would object to & that is why I voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Soulja boy wrote: »
    I'm not too comfortable with gay adoption though. Especially because of the difficulties the child could suffer on account of other peoples bigotry.

lf everyone said that, we'd never get anywhere. Gay adoption would be rarer and rarer and the few kids involved would suffer even more. That is not the right attitude at all; the more common it is, the less trouble they will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

markok84 wrote: »
    This video was posted around the time of the Miss America debacle, I found it interesting, and I like cartoons.

That reminds me of the 'Meat and you' Video they showed Lisa simpsons class when she became vegetarian.

Could it be more condescending? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Morlar wrote: »
    You can not have gay marriage without gay adoption being the next logical step. Anyone who says you can is either naive or disingenous. Gay adoption is the part I would object to & that is why I voted no.
    Just as a matter of interest can I ask why?:pac:

• Advertisement

People have problems with gay adoption but abusive parents have natural children all the time. Fairly flawed system to me.

Advertisement