Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordinary level irish or foundation???

Options
  • 07-06-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hey guys

just wondering can i do foundation irish when applying for a level 8 course in DIT. im doing ordinary level at the moment but i dont no whether to drop to foundation coz im not confident i will pass. one of my friends says you cant do a level 8 without a OD3 in irish and i dont know whether to take foundation or try the ordinary level. if i fail the ordinary level does this mean i will fail my leaving cert??? really unsure about all of this. any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

what course is it

e.g for the level 8 accounting course in DIT you have to get an OC3 in english OR irish

check out your course on www.qualifax.ie and then reconfirm on www.dit.ie

n.b there is no such thing as 'failing the leaving' anymore. That was backin the day (if ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Idd there is no "failing the leaving cert" educate yourself about the exam you're sitting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Ya in our times 'fail the leaving cert' is only used because SOME colleges have a minimum english, irish, maths, etc. requirment for matriculation(sp?) stuff. If you're unsure about the itjust look it up on the college website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 robdig

hi
    i checked the dit website and it said

Foundation Level Irish
    The Institute will not consider Foundation Level Irish for the purposes of entry requirements or for points.

So does this effectively mean I could do foundation??

oh the course is Business Computing

No man that means you can't! Just go in a bullcrap your way through it, your brain will go into survival mode and scrounge up all the irish you ever learned(which is more than you'd think). Use simple basic sentences and hope for the best, it's what I'm doing!:)

• Advertisement

robdig wrote: »
    hi
    i checked the dit website and it said

Foundation Level Irish
    The Institute will not consider Foundation Level Irish for the purposes of entry requirements or for points.

So does this effectively mean I could do foundation??

oh the course is Business Computing

MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:

Minimum Number of subjects: 6

2 subjects on Higher Level papers

Minimum Grade in:

Mathematics: Ordinary D3

English or Irish: Ordinary D3

Foundation Level Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 robdig

yeh thanks man! yeh i reckon il be ok for paper 1 and the listening but paper 2 is the thing thats putting me off. go raibh maith agam!!!

for the business computing in DIT level 8 course you do NOT have to pass irish unless you have failed english.

So it doesn't matter what you do tomorrow as far as that particular course is concerned (unless the 5 points for a D in OL irish will come in handy in august)

But bear in mind you may need a pass in ordinary irishfor other courses further down on your CAO list

pathway33 wrote: »
    Foundation Level Irish

You don't have a choice, they won't consider it. You'll have to do ordinary;)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Paper 2 worth hardly any marks anyway, if you do well enough in tape and paper 1, paper 2 aint important!

• Advertisement

Saul-Good wrote: »
    You don't have a choice, they won't consider it. You'll have to do ordinary;)

nope...... OP only has to pass irish OR english :D

Advertisement