Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preparing for a Lecturing Interview / Presentation

• 07-06-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'll be interviewing for a lecturering post in the UK shortly.
    They've asked me to prepare a 15 minute presentation suitable for final year undergraduates within my field.

Has anyone been through this process before?
    • Should I deliver it lecture style?
    • Or small group seminar/tutorial style?
    • What does the presentation evaluate: academic/subject content, presentation/language skills, or pedagogic technique?
    • Is it better to err on the side of accessibility/deliverability and avoid technical material?
    • Is there any point using LaTeX/Beamer, or just keep it simple with Powerpoint?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

moritorium wrote: »
    I'll be interviewing for a lecturering post in the UK shortly.
    They've asked me to prepare a 15 minute presentation suitable for final year undergraduates within my field.

• What does the presentation evaluate: academic/subject content, presentation/language skills, or pedagogic technique?
    • Is it better to err on the side of accessibility/deliverability and avoid technical material?
    • Is there any point using LaTeX/Beamer, or just keep it simple with Powerpoint?

Thanks!

I think keeping it simple would be the way to go. All flash and no substance can easily be seen through. I advise using small groups because it will make your class more interactive and the interviews will see how favorable and interested the students are when you are presenting. Since it's final year students I would focus on something new in the industry and how it can affect/impact on what ever area you are in.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have and it was quite daunting. Standing in front of a class of 60-70 students, no problem. Standing in front of a panel of 6 Lecutrers/Dept. Heads/HR people - a nightmare. :)

First of all, I would ask what is expected of you.

If all you get is what you have all ready, i.e. "a presentation" then I would deliver it as you would deliver a lecture, based on this:
    suitable for final year undergraduates within my field.

For any lecture I have ever delivered, I have used Powerpoint, with diagrams where appropriate, backed up by hand-drawn diagrams/scribbles on a white board. While the latter may not be appropriate in an interview situation, the former would be.

From what I can gather, the idea of the presentation is to get an overall idea of how you convey information, so it would be a combination of all three criteria you outline.

One tip also - if you bring the slides on a USB memory stick, make sure and have a backup copy on a CD-ROM or something. Again, speaking from experience. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Hi Tom, invaluable advice here.

I have been called for an assistant lecture at an IT - the 5 minute presentation is on a subject 'relevant to my area' - from my user name you can probably guess what! I have no idea how to approach it.

The IT have an LCD projector and an overhead available for use, but you're not allowed use your own laptop. I can clarify with the IT if a PC will be available to use - I've taken on board the comments above, and will bring a USB / CDROM version of the presentation, as well as hard copies in colour for the panel (no idea how many, but will bring 6 - 8 copies). I wouldn't know if acetates are still used??

I was thinking of a format:

• Quick introduction - about me, academic & professional qualifications & research interests - where I am going ( 1 minute or so).
    • Talk about a topical subject - I was going to run over a case study of a building conservation project, or maybe something in the media (NAMA, property prices, etc) or else the surveying profession in general. I get the impression these presentations are about conveying topics with clarity, enthusiasm and confidence. (4 minutes)
    • Wrap up / conclusion - 1 minute
    • Q & A

I have no lecturing experience, but have a keen interest in the area. I intend to finish my MSc thesis next year (have BSc and several post-grad diplomas already, as well as professional qualification - 15 years in the business, 5 if which was in the UK). I have to have the presentation with them by Friday 12.00pm:eek: so gotta get the thinking cap on.:pac:

ANy advice would be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Congrats guys,

In general - whether 5 or 15 mins I'd say know your lecture very well. Refer to the what's on the screen, but deliver the lecture to your audience not the screen behind you! :D

Surveyor11,

I wouldn't spend the first minute introducing yourself - that will be done at the interview which I imagine will take place before the presentation.

Also, don't force too much into a five minute lecture. Pick a topic and develop it for 5 minute lecture. Pick a single topic, introduce it - develop it - and conclude with a brief recap.

Within the lecture I'd try to bring in a killer idea / concept. Something the industry lectures will think - "that's something I've only heard/thought about myself lately"

Oh, and all you need to do then is show confidence.

Simples ;)

hey smcgiff, thanks for the reply. Will bear that in mind. Bricking it a bit :eek:TBO, but will give it my best shot. Will post back here how I get on:pac:

• Advertisement

Definitely let us know how you get on.

Re bricking it...

This is a normal task for the interview panel/lecturers i.e. no big deal and they will most likely be still mentally calculating the effect of the budget on their lifestyle. ;)

Prepare your lecture very well. This is very important for you as you do not have lecture experience. This is your opportunity to dispel any concerns they may have about your ability to lecture.

Know your lecture off by heart, but don't deliver it like you've learnt it by heart if that makes any sense. :D

Visualise yourself giving the lecture to the panel and visualise yourself doing well. And Repeat a number of times between now and Friday. They may also ask you questions about your lecture (possibly as if a student or as a colleague), so know your stuff well.

Also, don't forget the "interview part" of the, er, interview. Be prepared for questions like...

Why do you want to be a lecturer?
    Why do you think you would make a good lecturer.

Finally, What are you doing still reading Boards!!! Get preparing!!!! :D

Well, I had my interview yesterday. Firstly, the presentation (I felt) went well - they commended me on delivering the topic within the allocated 5 minutes. Had rehearsed it well, projected myself and felt that it came across well.

The interview panel itself consisted of 5 people -

• A chairman (who asked no questions)
    • 2 internal and one external IT representative
    • A professional body representative

Pretty heavy, but I wasn't too phased - they all asked me questions in turn and the whole thing too about 35 minutes. The presentation went well, so that sort of set the scene for the rest of the interview.

The questions themselves were ok, a few examples -
    • What would you do with disruptive students or poor attendance during rag week
    • Technical questions pertinent to the role
    • Research / how I would go about topics
    • What do I expect the input to be (I said 18 hours lecturing would require at least the same in prep, maybe more)
    I have a genuine interest in finishing my MSc thesis next year, so I tried to make sure this came across - I mentioned a few research topics that would be of interest, as well as the industry experience I would bring to the role. I emphasised the ongoing development of students and the faculty, as well as myself.

So now the waiting game begins. I was notified about the interview on Monday this week, so maybe I'll hear a "yea or nay" before Christmas. I'll let you all know.

Hey, that's great. Sounds like you're in with a chance.

And thanks for the feedback - The lack of feedback is a weakness in Boards and limits initial input.

Hope you get good news for Christmas! :D

Got the bad news in the post this morning, was unsuccessful. Gutted but the competition is extremely fierce out there at the moment. At least they put me out of my misery quickly.

I've request the interviewers notes from the day, so I'll await them in the post and see. At least it'll guide me for future opportunities that arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sorry to hear that.

But I know exactly how you feel. I've been there on so many occasions.

• Advertisement

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Got the bad news in the post this morning, was unsuccessful. Gutted but the competition is extremely fierce out there at the moment. At least they put me out of my misery quickly.

I've request the interviewers notes from the day, so I'll await them in the post and see. At least it'll guide me for future opportunities that arise.

Hard luck! But you've had an excellent experience of the interview process. And you'll stand a better chance once you have your masters. :)

Advertisement