Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert Coach into camper

• 07-06-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi all,
    im buying a coach in the uk and bring it back to convert into a 8 berth camper (iv alot of kids) it will be around a 53 seater im bringing in, im looking for info on importing it, duty, road tax and insurance.

if any body can give me some info it would be very greatfull.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Hi

VRT shoild be €50 as its over 3.5 tonnes. Road tax on a coach is about €400 or so but I think you need a PSV cert to get it. It will probably better to import it as a coach, park it up and convert it, then tax it as a camper. for insurance you'll have to ask around, some charge extra or have restrictions if its converted and the engine is over 4.5l (which it probably is). They will also want a DOE or engineers report if it has no DOE or MOT in the last 3 months. This can be expensive esp if there are any repairs to be done.

I know some one who was in your situation, he ended out buying a camper and a small caravan to tow behind it. Might be easier, coach can be awkward in some places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thought of doing this before I bought my first camper. What space It would give. Spoke to a guy who had done one. Great for wild camping but it was away too big for most Irish camp sites. Size might matter in Ireland !!

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bren96

Hi

You may have trouble getting it insured. I saw something on my policy (I'm with Dolmen) saying they don't insure Coach/Bus conversions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

There was a full size coach at Nore valley one weekend when we were there. I was surprised to see it made it down the narrow lane to the site.

Advertisement