Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZR head gasket replacement...

• 07-06-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Well I am a victim of the well known head gasket failure in my '04 MG ZR. Just wondering what I could expect to pay to get it fixed??

Also I want to sell the car anyway, is there any point trying to sell it as is unrepaired, or am I better off trying to sell it repaired?

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be an expensive repair , seems the head looses some hardness if it overheated ( some alloys are like that ) so you might have to replace the head.

Whoever is ripping it will be able to get the head tested for hardness anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get it done, selling it as-is isn't a great idea.

Hope it's a ZR+ and a 3dr, the basic ones and 5 door models are a very hard sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheRealist

colm_mcm wrote: »
    get it done, selling it as-is isn't a great idea.

Hope it's a ZR+ and a 3dr, the basic ones and 5 door models are a very hard sell.

Thanks. It is a ZR+ and 3dr, but still a very hard sell! Or else I'm not advertising properly!

what year, and how much (before this went wrong)

It's 2004, about 80k miles. I think I was looking for about 5 grand when I last advertised, now I'd accept a lot less...

• Advertisement

it was worth a lot less to start with I'm afraid.

it was worth a lot less to start with I'm afraid.

True enough!

Twas a poor decision in the first place... Why didn't I buy.........Anything else:D

I nearly bought one when they came out :)

In fairness they were nippy, unusual, and come with a bodykit and nice alloys from factory, at a time when very little else did and cars were getting lardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I have my R45 in the garage at the moment with HGF, It's costing EUR 760.00 for the repair.... :(

I have my R45 in the garage at the moment with HGF, It's costing EUR 760.00 for the repair.... :(

sounds expensive.....

• Advertisement

sounds expensive.....

It is & it isn't, I've had quotes from EUR 500-900 :eek:

The garage repairing is replacing the HG with the new composite multi layered one (alledgedly resolves the issue...), new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, head bolts, metal dowels, coolant, oil & filter.

The head will be skimmed & pressure tested etc..

The lower end of the price scale were not including any of the items above with exception of new gasket, skim & pressure test & the mechanics in the lower end has also said that they wern't interested in the job due to the labour require 6-8 Hrs.. & that it was in mechanic speak "A pain in @rse of a job" :)

I see. at least you're thinking long-term about it :)

I think regular coolant checks rather than a different gasket is the key to keeping the car running.

I see. at least you're thinking long-term about it :)

I think regular coolant checks rather than a different gasket is the key to keeping the car running.

I have to think long term recession etc ching ching :D lol plus it only passed the NCT 2 weeks ago

I had to top the coolant every week before it happened, so the garage are also checking the inlet manifold gasket for problems also.

To the OP check the UK MG Rover forum for plenty of tips & advice here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/

Also Colum_mcm I see your an Audi fan, I've just inherrited a 98 A6 1.8T 150 BHP with a problematic ECU, do you know of anywhere in Ireland that would repair for a reasonable price ? :)

Also Colm_mcm I see your an Audi fan, I've just inherrited a 98 A6 1.8T 150 BHP with a problematic ECU, do you know of anywhere in Ireland that would repair for a reasonable price ? :)

maybe I should put a :rolleyes: after my sig!

try turbotech.ie in Bray.

Cheers Colm_mcm :D

Advertisement