Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Restaurant?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Whilst technically not in Carlow, had a meal at Il Mellto in Ballylynan (on the main st behind one of the pubs) and I have to say it was one if the best and best value italian meals I've ever had.

- about 15 mins from Carlow, but weel worth the drive.

Owned & operate by a typical italian (good size belly and PASSIONATE about food) he will explain the food, suggest the wines and ensure you are treated as his most favoured guest of the night.

Locals obviously like it as it was busy on a wednesday evening!!!

The damage

2 good starters, 2 mains & a litre of very good house red - €58!!!

Beautiful decor ( stone walls, decent size tables, wood floors) and a real feeling of being appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Serious? I thought there was just a dodgy chipper or two in Ballylinan! Must give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

mfitzy wrote: »
    Serious? I thought there was just a dodgy chipper or two in Ballylinan! Must give it a try :)

yep - when I first heard about it I expected a few seats at the back of a chipper! But it was an exceptional evening, the chef / owner is totally immersed in the food (his family have a restaurant in Italy) and making sure you have a great meal - pity other restaurants don't do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Do you mind me asking what you got? what sort of menu it was? typical italian? steak options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

draffodx wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what you got? what sort of menu it was? typical italian? steak options?

starter - 1 x brushetta & 1 x salami & goats cheese crepe
    main - 1 x pasta with beef with red wine sauce, 1 x pasta with chilli & arrabiata sauce. Was tempted by fillet of steak medalions (9oz) in red wine sauce for €21.50 but wasn't overly hungry so will leave that for next visit.

1 x litre jug of house wine (best house wine I've had for long time)

Overall menu very typical italian, pasta, pizza all fresh ingredients.

Also does a buffet night last friday of the month - this month its fish, loads of fish dishes + glass of wine €20 a head!

Reasoning for this thread is that this was a real italian dining experience for very little money & people like this deserve to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

Drove over here last nite to try it out.have to say its excellent well worth a visit.

The menu was small but very nice and when talkin to the owner he was saying it always changes as he shops every day for the ingredients and everything is always cooked from fresh.

4 starters
    4 mains
    2 deserts
    2 glasses of house wine

123euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

steder wrote: »

4 starters
    4 mains
    2 deserts
    2 glasses of house wine

123euro

That's be fairly standard. Its not cheap or anything.
    Average it out at 18 for a main, 7 for a starter, 6 for a wine and 5.50 for a dessert and there's your €123.

Its an ok price but not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

I never said it was cheap.
    I said the food was excellent.
    Your right the price is average but at least everything was cooked fresh and tasted great.
    Better than a lot of places around town for the same money.

Just my two cents:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

What a find this could be! Ballylynan is an unusual location for a restaurant, so much so, I doubt I'll get the chance to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Ballylynan is an unusual location for a restaurant, so much so, I doubt I'll get the chance to visit.

same!

Advertisement