Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland goes Left, Europe goes Right

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

well yes I'd agree that the Left leaners can get a bit shouty when parties of the right get ahead.

the point really though that I was making, following on from yours, is that no matter how good it is (for some of us) to see right sided oarties gaining ground, no sane person, with an ounce of intelligence or decency should be celebrating the BNP. right or left they are still rotten

Your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The BNP vote is actually lower but cos the overall turnout was poor they got in, so anyone who stayed home knows who they have to blame.

The whacky right in various forms has done well but I'd not say it marks anything other than a general disaffection with the establishment in many countries. In Ireland the left were well placed to pick up the votes, in others countires it was the right. Its not that the Irish are somehow morally superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

,8,1 wrote: »
    Your opinion.

does this quote mean that you would support the type of policies that parties like the BNP put out there? Or am I reading you wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

but a racist victory is definitely not something the British should be proud of. although the BNP hasn't really much ground electorally speaking, it's pretty awful that they have gotten in.

And i think it's pritty awful that the likes of Joe Higgins actually managed to get a seat but there you go. Thats the way things are swinging now. What a waste of a MEP Seat imo.

i'm no big fan of Joe Higgins either, but there are huge differences between Joe and the BNP.

moving to the right is a good thing in my book, don't get me wrong, but fascism is a step too far. Remember what happened last time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The uniforms got better?

i'm pretty sure there's a lolocaust thread in here somewhere just waiting to escape.....

Ireland goes left? I would have thought overall Ireland went for centre and centre right, like Labour and FG. Higgins did well, but lots of that a personal vote because he seems very capable and articulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think its fair to say we went left compared to how we were previously, and especially compared to the rest of Europe.

Advertisement