Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get into politics?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

how would one go about getting into politics.im not part of any party and wouldnt have one fav that stands out to me at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

demakinz wrote: »
    how would one go about getting into politics.im not part of any party and wouldnt have one fav that stands out to me at the minute.

It seems if you have a brother/father/uncle who served in the Dail thats a bloody good start:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I suppose you'd need to pick a party, find the local branch and join. Do some time working/canvassing for candidates, attending conferences remaining sober about 20% of the time then when you think you can finally tow the party line you could put your name in the hat for a council seat. Find success there and you could set your sights higher - general election etc.

Failing that find a road with a pot-hole and become an independent based on the need to get that pot-hole sorted out, manage your own campaign or get a mate to do it for the laugh, canvass and put posters up at your own expense, run for your local council getting 45 votes from your family and friends and try again next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

musician wrote: »
    I suppose you'd need to pick a party, find the local branch and join. Do some time working/canvassing for candidates, attending conferences remaining sober about 20% of the time then when you think you can finally tow the party line you could put your name in the hat for a council seat. Find success there and you could set your sights higher - general election etc.

Failing that find a road with a pot-hole and become an independent based on the need to get that pot-hole sorted out, manage your own campaign or get a mate to do it for the laugh, canvass and put posters up at your own expense, run for your local council getting 45 votes from your family and friends and try again next time around.

Silly independents thinking they could get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well why do you want to become involved if no parties interest you? Do you want to be totally independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Bertie.jpg

Maybe write a book!
    Make a few friends in the trades area!!
    Get familier with brown envelopes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

First thing to do is lose all your actual opinions. You want to look at what opinions you think will be popular and run with them.

Ideally join Fine Gael as they are certain to win the next election. People will vote for them purely because they don't like the only credible opposition. (A shrewd long-term move may however be to join Fianna Fail. It will give you more time to assert yourself within the party. A few years down the line when people are sick of FG, you will be nicely positioned to seize power). If you find some obscure family connection to the party, then all the better.

Key skills to brush up on are:
    • Schmoozing
    • Arse-licking
    • U-turns
    • Management-speak (protip: The boss in Dilbert)
    Everything else can be out-sourced to consultants.

Whatever you do, don't be averse to selling your morals and principles if you think it'll help round up a bit of extra support.

Pythia wrote: »
    Well why do you want to become involved if no parties interest you? Do you want to be totally independent?

Maybe because you didn't agree with any party and decided the only way your beliefs could have a chance is by running yourself?

Why would you get into politics if there was people already representing your views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Start your own party and register it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Silly independents thinking they could get elected.

I was trying to demonstrate the possible frustrations of either method not making a judgement on the likelihood of success one way or the other. My experience is with a political party and the frustrations that go with that. I would imagine it's even more difficult and frustrating as an independent but if you thought I was suggesting it was foolish to go that way then my attempt at sarcasm when describing both ways failed.

musician wrote: »
    I was trying to demonstrate the possible frustrations of either method not making a judgement on the likelihood of success one way or the other. My experience is with a political party and the frustrations that go with that. I would imagine it's even more difficult and frustrating as an independent but if you thought I was suggesting it was foolish to go that way then my attempt at sarcasm when describing both ways failed.

My apologies so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

demakinz wrote: »

I'd too start with canvassing. I helped George Lee's campaign and I'm well in with the DS FG crowd now ;). Local Elections 2014, Rathfarnham ward here I come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Get some work experience as a used car dealership. Buy Machiavelli's the Prince also.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Rathfarnham ward here I come :D

You also have some exp with EU politics don't you...

Anway, it really depends on what you mean by "get into". If you just want to be "in the know" or become a cllr. or TD it all starts with with joining a party.

Don't know what party to join? Find out what side the family were on when it came to "the Treaty", that should help you. Failing that, have look at party web sites (or wikipeda) and see what party has the same values (I use the word values loosely here) as you do.

If you really want to become a cllr/TD, join one of the bigger parties, FF, FG, Leb and so on.

Once you found a party, start going to your local meetings and start making a (good) name for yourself around your local area. To do this do something with the GAA...

As we might be seeing a general election coming up, become a "cute whore" by selling your soul to someone who is running. Drop leaflets, knock on doors etc. Some count day, try to become a tally man. Very long day but worth it as you get to talk to fellow hacks, get a few pints and laughs while getting a good idea of how the PR-STV works.

We will be seeing Lisbon II in October, so get involved in that by doing the same above.

Basically to become a politician you have to start right now by getting you name out there into papers, in your local area by doing volunteer work and so on.

Being able to hold your drink will also be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

i agree on the key skills things. Heres a few more i'd add

(1) learn to pretend you actually care about the common man
    (2) Be prepared to go back on everything you said you would do once you get into any position of power in any political party
    (3) Don't have any real policies of your own just follow the party line no matter what
    (4) Learn to bootlick and ...lick at every possible opportunity and learn to do this in social gatherings of hob knobs. If you meet any commonman types during these smoozing events just ignore him as is so often done
    (5) Pretend you give a hoot about local issues
    (6) Learn to become a master manipulator and expert liar.
    (7) As was mentioned above just go and support the 'flavor of the day' issues and pretend you wholeheartedly support them and are committed to changing whatever issue is annoying people or people feel strongly about that the other party isn't addressing.
    (8) Make sure you get others to do your campaigning for you and to drop your leaflets out for you. You may actually have to look people in the eye your busy lying too when you show up at their door so best to avoid this during election time unless your getting bad feedback etc.
    (8) Never bring up the issue of wages/pensions/role during electioneering. Pretend is a 'non issue' , 'making a few bob, small amount, humble public servant' etc
    (9) Always tell anyone who requests a meeting on whatever issue they want to speak to you about that you will do your utmost to ensure they get whatever they are looking for. Never tell them you won't really do a thing about it but just pretend no matter what you will and that its a major priority for your party.

oh did i forget to mention be good at lying and manipulating? This is the key skill needed really.

That will ensure you succeed in politics in ireland. Take my word for it.:)

Advertisement