Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of running different cars

• 07-06-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i admit i really don't know much about cars so hence i come here for help!

I have a 99 Polo which is on it's last legs. Badly needs a lot of new parts which would probably cost more to put in than it's worth. I've been looking at newer cars on some of the websites as i think it's probably time for an upgrade.

I've found a great BMW 1 series for a good price, but people are telling me that in the long run it will cost me more to get it serviced/new parts for it than say, a 07/08 Polo. Is this the case? If so, is there a tiny difference in prices or will it be astronomically more expensive to run?

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it will be a more expensive to run and has more complicated suspension/electrics. but Polos aren't exactly cheap to maintain with main dealers either. I think you can buy a very cheap 5 year servicing package (Service Inclusive) with new BMWs - this is transferrable so that should take the sting out.
    With a service package from BMW, worries about service costs - for service, maintenance and wear-and-tear repairs - become a thing of the past. With BMW Service Inclusive, you can have your car serviced as often as necessary at no extra cost, within the time period of 5 years or a kilometre limit of 100,000 km. And because it is transferable to the new owner, the package maximizes the resale value of your car. Freedom that knows no bounds: BMW Service Inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

115 euros per hour labour rate at my local BMW, and 45e per hour at local VW,
    just to give u an idea..............

what VW dealer charges 45 per hour? do you live in Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Just out of interest, where is that VW dealer?? Currently paying €100 per hour at my local one for the old car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe he meant Skoda or Seat dealer? :p

• Advertisement

no its not in poland :D
    ballina co.mayo Connollys VW

Aaaaah I see. Don't see myself driving all the way to Mayo for a service anyway!

come in for a cup of tea if ur round anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

yellowcurl wrote: »
    Just out of interest, where is that VW dealer?? Currently paying €100 per hour at my local one for the old car...

I'm just wondering why are you going to a main dealer? Grand if there's a particular fault that requires a main dealer's expertise, but almost any other garage will be capable of solving 99% of problems much more cheaply.

We bought the car from that dealer (it was given to me as it got older) and we just kept bringing it there. It didn't really have any problems until last summer but now they're stacking up and i've just decided it's probably time to get a new car.

I don't know if i'd got to a main dealer with my next car for definite, but i probably would. I don't know enough about cars to really judge what's a big problem and a small problem to be honest.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what's the attraction to the 1 series - apart from the badge?

It has the amount of boot space i'm looking for, roomier interior than my polo, or other polo's that i've looked at, the price is cheaper than an astra of the same year. It just seems like really good value for money to be honest. I don't know if they depreciate really quickly or anything, but i'm not interested in that. This would be a car that i'd drive until it's on it's last legs. I don't really have the time/money to be changing cars every 2 years...

something's not as it should if it's cheaper than an Astra, care to share specifics?

Oh sorry, it's a quick sale due to emigration. I'll defo bring a mechanic friend to have a look anyway.

Be very careful, check for outstanding finance, that the car isn't stolen etc etc. If something seems too good to be true, it often is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I Rented a 1 series in spain on holidays a couple years back. Found it a nice nippy little thing and roomy enough i think interior. Trying to remember if the boot was a little tight, normal for a hatch though. Cool lookin too IMO badge or not.

<snip>

Defo shall be checking all those!!! I think it may just be a recession case where they're just trying to get as much cash together before leaving the country. But i'm sure i'll find out one way or the other. Also looking at astra's, but i've heard loads of people who have them tell me that problems seem to multiply with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oh sorry, it's a quick sale due to emigration. I'll defo bring a mechanic friend to have a look anyway.

Sounds scam-tastic to me, plenty of scams revolve around that kind of scenario. What's the price OP? And what spec/year ect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

EEh gats thats terribly unflattering picture.
    I think it's much better in three door guise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

<snip>
    Lol so so true, there an awful heap of ****e if i ever saw one.

The astra is a very under rated car imo, well not the really old one but the newish one is quite good.

2005 1.6 Petrol loads of extra's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

2005 1.6 Petrol loads of extra's etc.

Price? Just can't believe it'd be cheaper than i similarly spec'd astra.

Price? Just can't believe it'd be cheaper than i similarly spec'd astra.

Depends on how optimistic/divorced from reality the person selling the Astra is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Tragedy wrote: »

But RTE motors site is just a mirror of carzone.ie - all details transferred over.

(as are driving.ie, motornet.ie, and eircom motors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Check the date it was cached + "sold"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Alarm bells began ringing in my head when I read that!! Be careful with it

Anyway, your not comparing like with like. A 1 series BMW is a much bigger car than a Polo. If its boot space you want, and want something the size of a 1 series, then try some of these:
    • Astra
    • Leon
    • Golf
    • Mazda 3
    • Focus
    • Megane
    • C3
    • Civic
    All hatches, all cheaper than a BMW, all bigger than a Polo

• Advertisement
Advertisement