Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We should hand back the SSIA money.

Options
  • 07-06-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

This money should never have been given away.

Those of us fortunate enough to be able to put the cash aside were given a big lump of tax-payers money. The simple truth of it is that we should never have got it.

It's time to hand it back imo.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I can't - it all evaporated when the stock markets imploded. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't worry OP, we got a large part of it back on VRT for new motors and stamp duty on new homes. (stamp duty applied to new houses back then)

Oh and VAT on everything else.

And mega fines from Revenue on people who have undeclared rental income on holiday homes bought in Bulgaria, Croatia, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not to mention the amount of OUR money that Lenihan has wasted bailing out the Galway Tent Bank known as Anglo Irish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why would we hand back our own money? Next, give back our wages to our employers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

maybe if more people saved money rather than blowing it all the recession would be less severe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

utick wrote: »
    maybe if more people saved money rather than blowing it all the recession would be less severe

I thought the government was trying to encourage people to spend money in the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

mikemac wrote: »
    I thought the government was trying to encourage people to spend money in the recession.

they dont have any because they didnt save any. all they have now is lots of debt to pay off on overvalued assets. (not everyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

gearoidc wrote: »
    This money should never have been given away.

Those of us fortunate enough to be able to put the cash aside were given a big lump of tax-payers money. The simple truth of it is that we should never have got it.

The very process would cost more than the potential returns

• Registered Users Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭SeanW

utick wrote: »
    Maybe if we had a sound currency instead of a Central Bank inflating the money supply and lowering interest rates, it might have made sense for people to save.

Consumerism is its own reward, especially when you lose wealth by leaving your money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

The SSIA was a flawed scheme that tried encourage people to save in order to lower inflation. The government would have been better off tackling the bubble that was forming in the construction industry, only it wasn't in their interests. The government have only themselves to blame for the mess the country is in now. The poor decisions they made are the reason Ireland is in the state it is

Oh, and yes, people should hand back whatever money they got from their SSIA's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Did you benefit from the scheme by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

We are . .It's called the Income Levy and by the time it disappears I will have given back way more than I ever made with the SSIA.

Thanks,

. .dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If anyone was going to get back any money of me it would be the couple who brought my house in late 2006.

As for the SSIA I had that spent way before i ever saw it...

Advertisement