Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafting

Options
  • 07-06-2009 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have a pear tree these last 5 years that has yet to yield a single pear and i'm getting pissed off.
    My first instinct is to pull the tree completley but i have a ver nice Cox's Pippin apple tree that fruits very heavily.
    My question is this..is it possible to graft scions from the apple tree onto the pear tree and get apples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Degsy wrote: »
    I have a pear tree these last 5 years that has yet to yield a single pear and i'm getting pissed off.
    My first instinct is to pull the tree completley but i have a ver nice Cox's Pippin apple tree that fruits very heavily.
    My question is this..is it possible to graft scions from the apple tree onto the pear tree and get apples?

how old is the pear tree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

dardevle wrote: »

how old is the pear tree?

I have it 5 years and the rootstock is probably much older

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Degsy wrote: »
    I have it 5 years and the rootstock is probably much older

you won't see fruit on a pear tree until its 5-6 years old(lifespan of 100 years+)and even then only a couple of fruits if your lucky,having said that its been fairly poor yields as far as pear trees go for the last few years.

it is possible to graft an apple to a pear tree but whither you can do it successfully is another ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Do you get blossoms, but no fruit, or just no blossoms?

As far as I know, pear trees need a pollinator, so you'll need a second pear tree to pollinate your existing tree.

Edit: conference pears are self-pollinating, but apparently even they will crop better with another conference pear nearby.

Finally, bees won't be as attracted to your pear tree when you have a Cox's Pippin near it (apple blossom far more attractive than pear blossom), so you may have to get in yourself with a paintbrush, once you get a second tree and blossoms on both of them...

Advertisement