Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n00b, please help: broadband speeds

Options
  • 07-06-2009 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

We upgraded from 3mb eircom to 20 mb UPC/NTL. we thought we were going to get faster internet.

The internet seems to be the same speed now!

When i looked at the box of the router, we seem to have a basic router and the box says router speed is 1x. I thought the "mb" was the speed!

Can someone help me?

Sorry for the cluelessness!

thanks x x x x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

I did a speed test and this is the result but i don't really understand it.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/490784871.png

thanks again x x x

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is a fairly bad speed, you are only getting 3.29 Mb/s, rather then 20 Mb/s.

I'd call UPC support to see if they can help sort it.

hi bk,

thanks.
    we were given the most basic router (Netgear WGR614)

Would that have anything to do with it???

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Thought the UPC one was a ScientificAtlantica?, plug straight into that one and run the speed test again.

what do you mean plug straight in?

Sorry :$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

ni ni wrote: »
    hi bk,

thanks.
    we were given the most basic router (Netgear WGR614)

Would that have anything to do with it???

If you are using it as a wireless router then it could well be limited by the distance between your workstation/laptop and router.

The Netgear is in the same place as the Scientific Atlantica one. the desktop is in the same room, but there are two laptops and an x-box360 that can't really pick up any of the broadband.

i'm trying to figure out why the internet on the desktop is so slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ni ni wrote: »
    The Netgear is in the same place as the Scientific Atlantica one. the desktop is in the same room, but there are two laptops and an x-box360 that can't really pick up any of the broadband.

i'm trying to figure out why the internet on the desktop is so slow.

Connect the desktop directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable, forget the wireless router until you figure out where the slowdown is happening. Run a speedtest with this setup.

Advertisement