Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptism COI

Options
  • 07-06-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

My partner and I are non-denominational and have 2 children who will be of school going age very soon. Unfortunately where we live, schools are like gold dust so their waiting lists are very long and enrollment policies mean they take children from own religion first. Fair enough.

We would be willing to baptise the kids into COI if we had to in order to ensure a place at school, but apparently the rector is quite picky as to whom they will baptise...

Does anyone know of any friendly easy going rectors who wouldn't find non denominational parents a problem??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I doubt it, but you never know. Your best bet is to ring around a few CoI churches and ask. My limited experience of priests/rectors/rabbis is that their demeanour may be laissez-faire, but they take their religion very seriously.

I would guess that the rector you asked realises that you are having children baptized as a convenience and as such you would be possibly denying a school place for a child actually raised in that religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 doilie

Yeah... kind of figured... hmmm, I don't know what to do, I'm starting to clutch at straws - primary is bad enough, but secondary is non existant...

Might end up home schooling them at this rate!!:D

Advertisement