Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continental Return Flights to Washington - €179

• 07-06-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Just priced return flights to Washington from Dublin with Continental for the end of September, going out September 28th, coming back October 5th and they're coming in at €179 inc tax return! It's via Newark and they fly into Reagan and Dulles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

holy @$%.
    i played around aswell and got the same price with different dates.

great post just wish i could afford a hol in the u.s.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    damned taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just tried it, and you're right. I'm getting $450 (€323 on xe.com) for 2 including taxes. Very very good. Its normally more than that for just 1 passenger....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Pity I can't find the same deal to NYC as have a wedding there on the 9th Oct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I think its either sold out, or they have copped on - I'm getting 1-2k usd now.

positron wrote: »
    I think its either sold out, or they have copped on - I'm getting 1-2k usd now.
    You must be doing it wrong. I'm still getting $146 per person (just tried it).

Edit: Just changed to Irish site, and I'm getting €169.61 return now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I was - I had somehow selected first class! :o

Now I am getting $461 for the dates you mentioned (Depart Dublin, Ireland (DUB) Arrive Washington, DC (WAS - All Airports) Date Mon., Sep. 28, 2009 Time Anytime, Cabin Economy Travelers 1, $416).

Thanks anyway, I'll try again later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This offer is also to Philadelphia with a train from EWR to downtown Philly bookable on continental or expedia
    sample dates 25/08-31/08, 03/09-09/09 €169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

kevinmcc wrote: »
    Just priced return flights to Washington from Dublin with Continental for the end of September, going out September 28th, coming back October 5th and they're coming in at €179 inc tax return! It's via Newark and they fly into Reagan and Dulles.

Oh my god that's insane, just checked it there.
    I'd rather get off in new jersey though.
    Wonder if they'd mind you not getting the flight to wash.
    I priced a flight to new jersey on the same dates and bizarrely it was 5times the price even though those flights stop off in new jersey.

Am I missing something here? I just spotted that the flight from Dub- Wash stops off at Newark/New York so if I just skipped the last part of the journey to Washington, I'd be sorted for my wedding trip in New York! Return flights including taxes are €180 per person.

Is that possible that I skip the the connecting flight to Washington and the return flight back from Washington to Newark/New York?

Cheers

PIMPHO wrote: »
    Is that possible that I skip the the connecting flight to Washington and the return flight back from Washington to Newark/New York?

No. The rest of your ticket will be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

snubbleste wrote: »
    Crap anyway, i was hoping to do the same thing.

100% certain of this?

Just rang them and he's right, rest of your ticket would be cancelled.! Damn! :P

100% certain of this?
    How would you get your luggage, wouldnt that be immediately transferred onto the next plane?

I could be wrong.

For International to Domestic transfers, you have to collect your luggage and bring it to a drop off point. So theoretically, you just pick it up and walk out the front door instead.

Wouldn't chance it if there is a chance of your ticket being cancelled though!

I did a check on a few other US cities Boston, Miami, LA, New York, Tampa, Austin, Orlando couldn't find anything in the 170e price range.
    So looks like it's a toss up between Philadelphia and Washington.
    Any recommendations? I like theme parks and museums!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Guys,

Just bought two US Airways tickets to Philadelphia(travel in August and return in September) for 651.60 including all the taxes and charges. I think its a very good deal. I bought it directly on US Airways website.

Cheers
    G

Wait for this one guys.
    I booked this there just a minute ago and you get a TRAIN from Newark to Philadelphia.
    Isn't that crazy! You get your bags at customs anyway and you can just skip the train.
    It says on the site that flight 1234 is serviced by NON JET EQUIPMENT
    ie a flipping train!
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm gonna go to new york for a few days train it to phili and have a go at 6 flags theme park 50miles outside phili.
    Gonna be awesome!

This is without a doubt the best post on boards ever.

Total cost for 2 was 340 odd euro

asharkman wrote: »
    Wait for this one guys.
    I booked this there just a minute ago and you get a TRAIN from Newark to Philadelphia.
    Isn't that crazy! You get your bags at customs anyway and you can just skip the train.
    It says on the site that flight 1234 is serviced by NON JET EQUIPMENT
    ie a flipping train!
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm gonna go to new york for a few days train it to phili and have a go at 6 flags theme park 50miles outside phili.
    Gonna be awesome!

This is without a doubt the best post on boards ever.

Total cost for 2 was 340 odd euro
    What dates did you book for?

Wait for this one guys.
    I booked this there just a minute ago and you get a TRAIN from Newark to Philadelphia. Isn't that crazy! You get your bags at customs anyway and you can just skip the train. It says on the site that flight 1234 is serviced by NON JET EQUIPMENT ie a flipping train! Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm gonna go to new york for a few days train it to phili and have a go at 6 flags theme park 50miles outside phili. Gonna be awesome! This is without a doubt the best post on boards ever. Total cost for 2 was 340 odd euro

I posted earlier that it was a train, the train is an integral part of your ticket, if you don't show up at ZFV station outbound and inbound, the rest of your ticket will be cancelled and you will have to buy a higher priced ticket back to Dub. This issue arose before.
    This deal came up before and it was cheaper than 170, so it is not without doubt the best post on boards ever.

The 25th till the 3rd of oct.

Esse85 wrote: »
    What dates did you book for?

• Advertisement

I posted earlier that it was a train, the train is an integral part of your ticket, if you don't show up at ZFV station outbound and inbound, the rest of your ticket will be cancelled and you will have to buy a higher priced ticket back to Dub. This issue arose before.
    This deal came up before and it was cheaper than 170, so it is not without doubt the best post on boards ever.

Ah you did post it sorry bout that.
    Just not what i was expecting at all. Must be a special from amtrak and continental.

Wonder if you could maybe check in for the train and then not board it..... hmmm.
    Got a few months to figure that one out.
    Then I'll use the train ticket coming back from phili in the proper manner.

and as for
    I'll rephrase - the best post on boards I'VE ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The 25th till the 3rd of oct.

The 'non jet equipment' I'm seeing for those dates is a De Havilland Dash 8 Q200, ie: a prop plane, not a train.

Colgan_Air_Continental_De-Havilland_Canada_DHC-8-402Q_Dash_8_N190WQ_CN4190_26Oct08_KDCA_Planespotters.jpg

or, if you prefer:

1243594.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Thanks op

tried booking, giving me a

! Continental.com was unable to verify your card as the verification system for your card is busy, please try again in a few minutes or use a card from a different company.

Bank have said its processing fine. Anyone have similar problem?
    Will try again later tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Picked pay by cash option, and then pay at airport.
    That gave me a reference number, rang 1890 925 252 and sales rep
    processed it with CC. Nice CS.

Thanks again op got flights end of oct for 11 days for 340€ total, nice BA.

Has anyone got a cheap deal in mid August or earlier?

Whats the earliest date one can fly to take advantage of the cheap flight?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a cheap deal in mid August or earlier?Whats the earliest date one can fly to take advantage of the cheap flight?

T&C's say travel must begin 17 AUG 09 through 31 OCT 09 and tickets must be issued on or before june 9th. Earliest I can find cheap dates is Aug 25th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Am I missing something here? I just spotted that the flight from Dub- Wash stops off at Newark/New York so if I just skipped the last part of the journey to Washington, I'd be sorted for my wedding trip in New York! Return flights including taxes are €180 per person.

Cheers

get the flight to philidelphia, it's only about a 2 hours bus journey back to new york

get the flight to philidelphia, it's only about a 2 hours bus journey back to new york

Would DC not be nearer to NYC? Couldn't hack another 2 hours on a bus after a 9 hour slog on the plane! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Would DC not be nearer to NYC? Couldn't hack another 2 hours on a bus after a 9 hour slog on the plane! :P

nope... if you take the amtrak to DC from New York, it passes through philli...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Corridor has a nice pix

I spent 10 months in 1998 travelling between New York and Baltimore so it's kinda burned in my consciousness!

Telgere wrote: »
    Thanks op
    tried booking, giving me a
    ! Continental.com was unable to verify your card as the verification system for your card is busy, please try again in a few minutes or use a card from a different company.
    Bank have said its processing fine. Anyone have similar problem?
    Will try again later tonight.

I had exactly the same problem, you can just call them up. I'm mastercard, it's that stupid securocode thing. Banks said everything was fine at their end to me too.
    Your woman on the phone I was talking to was surprised the tickets were so cheap.
    http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/Contact/reservations/europe.aspx?SID=064B306660254360ACC71E51E1FCE80E
    Just give them the dates that ya wanna to go on. Same offers as booking online except it's over the phone!

alastair wrote: »
    The 'non jet equipment' I'm seeing for those dates is a De Havilland Dash 8 Q200, ie: a prop plane, not a train.

Colgan_Air_Continental_De-Havilland_Canada_DHC-8-402Q_Dash_8_N190WQ_CN4190_26Oct08_KDCA_Planespotters.jpg

or, if you prefer:

1243594.jpg

Nah it's defo a train, think there was an option to fly but it was flying out later in the day and you'd actually get to phili quicker by train.
    Says on the ticket you board at nwk rail station.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Is this over?

Cheapeat I can get is $760 /person :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Still there, test dates used 24/9 to 3/10.

I used them exact dates, thats what I wanted.

What am I doing wrong? I picked dublin economy round trip, those dates and just picking random airports in Washington?

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Still there, test dates used 24/9 to 3/10.

Woah for philadelphia though just got a price of $146 pp

Compak wrote: »
    Woah for philadelphia though just got a price of $146 pp

Oh ok and taxes

Folks I just cant get washington cheaper than 500€ pp which is where I want to go.

Bluetonic what airport did you pick?

Still available 25/09-02/10 €170
    Enter Washington as opposed to airport code or alternatively expedia.com has the same fare

Try 25th to 3rd as per attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Cant u just bail out of this flight at New York??

• Advertisement

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Cant u just bail out of this flight at New York??
    I'd say same answer that was given to the same question earlier in the thread is still valid.

Where it says change planes, it is it advisable to keep the connect time to a minimum as to not be hanging around.

Thanks got it, now have to coerce someone else to go.

Cost me more to go to prague

Cheers

Just booked Dublin to Philadelphia 25/8 to 31/8 for €166!!!

davork wrote: »
    nope... if you take the amtrak to DC from New York, it passes through philli...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Corridor has a nice pix

I spent 10 months in 1998 travelling between New York and Baltimore so it's kinda burned in my consciousness!

Any other quicker option other than bus? Train? Cab? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm looking on the continental site for the dates suggested, 25th Sept out, return 3rd Oct Dublin - Newark, and can't find any such fares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

Booked 3/10/09 to 9/10/09 to Washington ,then changed my mind and called up Continental and asked how much extra to leave Washington on the 7th and stay over in NY till the 9th and then return to Dublin and they said no problem , done it all over the phone and confirmed changes by email ,and all at no cost to me as I made the changes within 24 hours of my booking , so 4 nights in the capitol and 2 in Ny for 171 euros.
    Thanks Op for the heads up :)

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm looking on the continental site for the dates suggested, 25th Sept out, return 3rd Oct Dublin - Newark, and can't find any such fares!
    The OP made is 100% clear what the bargain is, they didn't mention returns on the Dublin - Newark route.

ALS wrote: »
    Booked 3/10/09 to 9/10/09 to Washington ,then changed my mind and called up Continental and asked how much extra to leave Washington on the 7th and stay over in NY till the 9th and then return to Dublin and they said no problem , done it all over the phone and confirmed changes by email ,and all at no cost to me as I made the changes within 24 hours of my booking , so 4 nights in the capitol and 2 in Ny for 171 euros.
    Thanks Op for the heads up :)

Wait....so does that mean I can book the same flights to Philly then ring up and change the return leg of my flight, meaning I could stay in Philly for minimum of 1 day, fly to NYC and have my NYC - DUB return flight changed to a later date like yours?

I've a wedding in NYC on the 10th Oct so would be going over for at least a week so wouldn't mind staying in Philly for a day or two and then spend the rest of the week in NYC.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

As long as its changed within 24 hours and booked on Continental.com, Nice customer services lady done mine no problem
    Phone number is 1890925252

• Advertisement
Advertisement