Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mods

Options
  • 07-06-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

hello all,

im starting this thread because the section on boards,

that i use "airsoft" in my opinion some NOT all the mods,

are abusing there power and locked a thread which i started

on the same topic and was referred to this section which i find

odd as most airsoft wont see this thread

thank you
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This will probably be moved to Help Desk (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30).

You should link to the thread in question and you should indicate that you have tried to sort this out with the mod in question first. This will help admins discuss it with you quicker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Could you please provide a link to this thread that was locked by a mod abusing his powers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The locked thread is about mods, therefore it is not relevant to Airsoft. It's more of a FAQ/Help Desk thread.

And why should mods of the Airsoft forum be airsofters? They're there to keep the peace, not to be knowledgeable about the topic. In fact, sometimes mods who don't know about the topic at hand are in a position to be fairer moderators as they're impartial.

(Lads, go easy...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

All of the mods in the airsoft forum are active airsofters.

If this is another thread to complain about your advert thread being closed I doubt it will last long.

It has been explained to you several times by Lemming why it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

You need to lay off the airsoft for a while man, its becoming a serious problem.

• Advertisement

Soulja boy wrote: »
    You need to lay off the airsoft for a while man, its becoming a serious problem.

Excellent input man, will you be allowed to stay up late to contribute a bit more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's the purpose of that, The Master? When people start "mods abusing their position" threads, smart-ass responses from mods only provide ammunition.

And smart arse replys from users to what was a serious thread do what exactly?

This whole thing has been dealt with in the airsoft forum, thread is pointless

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote: »
    What's the purpose of that, The Master? When people start "mods abusing their position" threads, smart-ass responses from mods only provide ammunition.

And smart arse replies to the OP (comments like soulja made) will only piss off said OP and probably lead to the thread getting locked as it turns into a bitchfest.

The Master wrote: »
    Excellent input man, will you be allowed to stay up late to contribute a bit more?
    I Certainly will. To clarify, I was most bemused by this mans agitated state due to the moderation of something as overly specific as the airsoft forum.

As the user is clearly labeled airsoft junkie, I inferred that perhaps this mans agitation was not based on the fact that the moderation might be at fault,
    but that his foamy bullet riddled tipple of choice had in fact gotten the better of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭airsoftjunkie

no it has not been dealt with, its far from dealt with,

insulting soulja boy is another example of the abuse of power

i was not happy with my thread been locked and i have been sent many pm,s

on the thread people are not happy with the mods in airsoft

well some of them anyway , they ban and lock threads if they are been exposed

i was not happy with my thread been locked

What thread are you talking about? link please?
    they ban and lock threads if they are been exposed

what do you mean by exposed?

Perhaps you could join/form some kind of secret underground airsoft forum freedom fighter troupe?
    Start an airsoft coup against the airsoft moderators perhaps? Lead an airsoft uprising?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

no it has not been dealt with, its far from dealt with,

insulting soulja boy is another example of the abuse of power

i was not happy with my thread been locked and i have been sent many pm,s

on the thread people are not happy with the mods in airsoft

well some of them anyway , they ban and lock threads if they are been exposed

Jesus....:rolleyes:

You make it sound like they're the Illuminati or something, they're trying to keep order, some threads in the airsoft board are just pointless and will lead to flaming and they just have to be locked.

The mods on that board have been around since the forum started and know the way certain threads will go so they're locked for everyones benefit. Just run with it, it's not an abuse of power, it's them trying to keep the board civilised.

Soulja boy wrote: »
    Perhaps you could join/form some kind of secret underground airsoft forum freedom fighter troupe?
    Start an airsoft coup against the airsoft moderators perhaps? Lead an airsoft uprising?

airsoftjunkie has something he wants to be discussed seriously here.

Could you please cut out the jokes from his thread please

airsoftjunkie has something he wants to be discussed seriously here.

Could you please cut out the jokes from his thread please
    Very well.

Detective Mode.
    AirsoftJunkie:
    I would like to see some evidence of some kind of abuse, some screenshots could be useful.
    A good illustration would be where the moderator of the airsoft forum does not follow one of the rules of the airsoft forum, but then penalizes someone for not following the same rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes that lemming chap is a heartless ban happy bastard, why I hear he once banned 34 users in one thread.

http://lemming.journals.ie/2007/10/23/banning-users-is-a-sport-o/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Not to drag us all off topic or anything but -
    Dudess wrote: »
    The locked thread is about mods, therefore it is not relevant to Airsoft. It's more of a FAQ/Help Desk thread.

And why should mods of the Airsoft forum be airsofters? They're there to keep the peace, not to be knowledgeable about the topic. In fact, sometimes mods who don't know about the topic at hand are in a position to be fairer moderators as they're impartial.

(Lads, go easy...)

Airsoft as a sport is in a slightly sensitive position in Ireland, and as a community, fairly tight-nit. boards.ie has become a fairly integral part of that, so as an, um, enthusiast, I'd like to be confident that the Mods of the forum are folks who know the ins-and-outs of the laws applicable, first off, and second, that they're sensitive to the issues surrounding it or that might arise in future.

But that's neither here nor there in terms of the OP. Just throwing it out there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055585340

tell me the mods where right to close the thread

Ok I will, it's not an airsoft topic, it's for Feedback or Help Desk.

• Advertisement

That thread was fine right up until this post where you accuse the mods of abuse of power.

You gave no evidence of this and when a mod viewed the thread it was locked and you were told to take it here/helpdesk for discussion.

Now the discussion is here you still have no example of mod "abuse of powers" other than the original thread where you made your accusation.

I still fail to see any abuse of mod powers

It was a thread discussing the mods and not actually discussing the airsoft forum.

Now in a perfect world we could have forums to discuss topics that discuss forums that discuss moderators that we could all post in till the cows come home, but for the time being site feedback really seems to be a better place for that sort of thing. Far more suited to it then the airsoft forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The mods were right to close that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TBH, this has all been explained already. Now for those of you who have missed proceedings, airsoftjunkie was about to buy something off a seller on the airsoft adverts forum.

It was pointed out to me by several separate users that the seller was being economical with the truth, and having had two separate recent incidents of buyers being stung by dishonest sellers, I took umbrage to this and challenged the seller in a manner that was discrete so as not to lay accusation and get their side of the story. Another user "guessed" answers and the seller ignored my question which was addressed to them specifically.

So after that I banned both the seller for evading a rather simple question and being rather suspect of being economical with details, and the other poster for essentially thread-spoiling. I then locked the thread. If the seller wishes to elaborate on matters and perhaps have his ban rescinded, he knows what to do since I have said it should be taken to PM.

About an hour later, along comes airsoftjunkie wanting to see who agreed with him on a whole load of innuendo, but he didn't want people to ask questions and just simply agree with him.

And here we have the current thread. His original thread may - or may not - also seek to address other behaviour on the main airsoft forum (of which I am not a moderator), but I can only speak for the adverts forum itself.

ok right so i should of posted here but the reason i did not was most airsofters will not see this thread

but for a mod to ban someone for not answering a question is wrong and

to sit back and allow abusive comments to be made while they post in the

same thread

this had because there defending them

ok right so i should of posted here but the reason i did not was most airsofters will not see this thread

but for a mod to ban someone for not answering a question is wrong and

to sit back and allow abusive comments to be made while they post in the

same thread

this had because there defending them

What "abusive comments"? You have to back things up with evidence when you throw accusations around.

You gave no evidence of this and when a mod viewed the thread it was locked and you were told to take it here/helpdesk for discussion"

actually i was informed to post here by pm of a mod still have the pm

You gave no evidence of this and when a mod viewed the thread it was locked and you were told to take it here/helpdesk for discussion"

actually i was informed to post here by pm of a mod still have the pm

Is the pm abusive or is it just telling you to come here. If its just to come here then that has no relevance.

if you clearly read the "mod thread" firekitten was clearly insulting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

It was fair moderation, heck, I even managed TWO sarcastic replies to that thread, and it reached page 2!

The mods left that thread open, until it was absolutely apparent it was utter tripe.

Next,

Lemmings actions were perfect in the case of the adverts thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement