Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transition from classical to trad piano

Options
  • 07-06-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello all,

I am one of the returnees to music in my adult years. Played music as a child mostly trad but did some exams aswel, played for about 10 years as a youngster.I am now 28 and have spent time in the last few years doing some classical exams (RIAM) and have most recently studied for grade 8. I really want to move to trad music as I doubt that I would have a career in or the interest to continue with the classical stuff.

I am about to buy a digital piano so that I can be mobile and would love to get involved in playing music with other people who are of different levels of ability/ influences/ ages/ experiences etc, etc.

I am a bit nervous about this but I have the interest and the genuine love for music to put loads of work into this to be able to play well in a group situation. Really my ultimate goal is to play in a session situation where I can maybe offer a bit more than the standard vamping and to build a knowledge of lots of the tunes that people want to hear in the session sitation.

Anyone out there with a bit of advice on where to meet musicians and do a bit of practice before baring myself to the public and possibly making an ejit of myself!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

Have a look at Cara Dillon.Sam Lakeman is her husband and plays keyboard/Piano.If you can handle trad the way he is doing it then pm me after some practise for a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Rgoldie

Hey there Rithim,

Thanks for reply just logged on now so apologies for my late reply. I will have a look at that man and see what you mean about his style. I havent bought the piano yet and have been pianoless now for about 9 mths so it will take me a while to get the fingers walking again. I would be looking at the end of the summer if I am to be realistic about this. But if you have any other suggestions or advice I would welcome them.
    Can I ask you what your background is if thats not being too nosey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Where are you based?

You could try going to the fleadh and listening to the piano competitions there. The leinster fleadh will be taking place in Wicklow town on the 10th & 11th July and the all-Ireland fleadh will be taking place 21st-23rd August. It would give you a good idea of what style people play trad piano in.

Tbh, if you can play piano the transition isn't particularly difficult. Once you are competent on the instrument and have a good ear that's all you really need to get started.

If you're looking for a pub session to join in with that may be difficult, as piano isn't something that usually features in pub sessions (due to lack of space). You might be better off contacting your local comhaltas branch to see if they host a regular session?

Also, if you want any advice about where to buy a piano, pm me. I bought my own from a german site for 600 euro less than I would have paid for it in the shop here.

Best of luck. :)

hi futurecrook,

I would be very interested to find out about that website. Digital pianos are quite expensive in Ireland. If I can make a saving I would definetly look at the possibility of using that website.
    What is your piano like? How is it with sound, key sensivity and pedals? Are you happy with what you got?

I am in Galway but planning to get away for a weekend over the summer so may just go to Wexford and kill two birds with one stone and go to the fleadh.

Thanks for advice :)

Meant to say Wicklow not Wexford...need sleep:o!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Quirkyduck

Hi there, I play both trad and classical piano. I've been getting classical lessons on the RIAM for the past few years, finished grade 8 and I have a trad diploma in Irish Music performance on piano.
    I'm based in wexford and will be taking part in the fleadh in wicklow as will some of my studnets. I teach if your looking for lessons....from sept onwards I will be in dublin and I'm working in the gaeltacht in Galway untill mid july....Try getting a hold of Padraig O Reilly's CD Down the Ivory Stairs.
    I could give you numbers for other teachers too if your interested?

Hi there Quirkyduck,

I am a bit late replying to you. I am living in County Galway myself. What is the story with the lessons in Galway till mid July? Is it one off lessons or week long or how does it work. I am out of practice for the last 9 mths as I have been studying something else altogether. But I have bought the stage piano and am just begining to work my way through some Irish tunes along with a CD I got from Comhalthas. I get the idea of vamping and from what I understand that is what I would be doing with your run of the mill trad group. I would be happy for now to master this technique but I could do with some instruction on chords used in certain keys and rules of thumb etc. Also I would be interested in looking at playing Irish tunes solo and maybe entering piano competitions at a fleadh.

Advertisement