Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why? Why?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I have to get something off my chest and feel quite foolish for not posting this here before the actual elections.
    I suppose it was really only when the election results came in was i finally awoken to what i find to be a rather disturbing truth.

Nearly half of the Irish electorate made a mistake in the process of deciding who they were going to vote for in their "local" council elections.

A stat came out yesterday from rte and it read that 54% of people who voted on Friday for the local elections voted for people and what they believed the people could do for the community, while 46% voted for parties and voted due to the way that the economic crisis has been handled....

Am I the only person who see's something vitally wrong here?
    These are local elections which concern the running of county councils and town councils...

I voted for the people which I believe will do the best work for my community, what the hell happened to everyone else!!!

Can anyone of that 46% answer intelligently and back up their answer to why you would vote in a local election on a national matter?
    It's just.....

Are 46% of us really that thick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Many people view the local and european elections as an opportunity to give a protest vote against the government in the hope that it will lead to instability of the current government and lead to a general election and the installlation of a new government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i personaly can not give a vote to anyone who stands with fianna fáil or the greens, still after the mess they helped create.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well Pat Rabitte was on RTE saying this was a vote for a new government. Now while he may have to say that to get the political dig in at FF I'm sitting there thinking isn't that a sad reflection on the electorate and democracy. Same for Lisbon when everyone said it was an anti-FF vote.

Problem is that it works both ways because if in a General Election or a Local Election you vote for the guy you believe will fix the bad roads in your area is this voting for the guy who will help improve the Country/Community as a whole or just someone who will sort out your issues.

I'm firmly in the voting for the common good camp but I'm probably in the minority. In the past I have been a strong Labour supporter but if I believed another candidate (excluding FF and SF *) would do a better job for the community then I would vote accordingly.

* would take something akin to a miracle for me to believe a FF or SF candidate would ever benefit the community as whole for differing reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well if 46% of the voters voted against the government that means only 54% voted on the candidates but yet 25% voted for FF that's nearly 1 in 2 of those voting based on the candidates. If that's the case thank FSM for protest votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Part of the problem is that we don't have actual local government. Until we have local government, at times like this voters will continue to see local elections as ways to punish the government of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Because if anyone's still a member of FF - after even the party itself seemed to be ashamed of the logo and brand - then they're implicit in condoning incompetence and corruption.

Because even some new "local" candidates running in my area used Seanad and Oireachtas envelopes to con me into opening their junk mail, proving they're not immune to abusing expenses and State mechanisms to further their own careers and try to con me into thinking their letter is important; and in doing so THEY made a link between national and local.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well if 46% of the voters voted against the government ...

I think the point that Effluo was making was that nobody was actually voting for or against the government. In terms of what was on offer in the local elections, it is a fair point.

I think it is true to say that many people thought they were voting against the government (and some might have thought that they were voting for the government). It was an inappropriate, if understandable, motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

National issues are affecting me not the local ones where as the County manager and Town clerks have the final say on anything so there is no real power!
    Withdrawal of Special needs classes
    Withdrawal of Speech Therapy unit
    Hospital funding cut received letter saying that my youngest daughters appointment has been cancelled again!waiting since last Aug
    Still waiting for sons appointment for ENT consultant been waiting since last Sept!
    Funding has been cut from Playschool son has been attending!
    Affordable Childcare?? Ireland dont do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I think the point that Effluo was making was that nobody was actually voting for or against the government. In terms of what was on offer in the local elections, it is a fair point.

I think it is true to say that many people thought they were voting against the government (and some might have thought that they were voting for the government). It was an inappropriate, if understandable, motivation.

Yes, you and Sir Baralot have hit the nail on the head.
    People for some reason saw this as a way to protest against the current government in the dail....

Who knows where they got that idea from eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Effluo wrote: »
    Yes, you and Sir Baralot have hit the nail on the head.
    People for some reason saw this as a way to protest against the current government in the dail....

Who knows where they got that idea from eh?
    Who pays for their posters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

It's true what many are saying in this thread. It's not like local councillors actually have that much power.
    National Issues affect us much more than the local ones and for that reason many people simply use the local elections as a protest vote because often times they really don't care who runs the cities as much as they care who is sitting in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Well if the 46% are that 'thick', how come it worked :rolleyes:?? Anyone watching RTE tonight will be in no doubt that FF and the Greens are gob-smacked at the results. The Greens are now reconsidering their role in government, and they may just decide to pull out.

My local vote was based on who would be best to serve on my local council. However, I have never voted for Fianna Fail and never will. I don't think anyone with a modicum of intelligence could be a member of that party, given their track record.

God, I wish that lewd looking naked man on the Chorus NTL advertisement would stop winking at me :(!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The Raven. wrote: »
    Well if the 46% are that 'thick', how come it worked :rolleyes:?? Anyone watching RTE tonight will be in no doubt that FF and the Greens are gob-smacked at the results.

Sure, they are gobsmacked. But that wasn't what the election was about.
    The Greens are now reconsidering their role in government, and they may just decide to pull out.

It might have the opposite effect. At the moment, the Greens have nowhere to go. They might decide to hang in there in the belief that things can't get worse, and might just get better. Similarly, FF might now believe that could do a bit better if they tough it out for a year or two before facing the electorate.
    My local vote was based on who would be best to serve on my local council.

A good basis for deciding.
    However, I have never voted for Fianna Fail and never will. I don't think anyone with a modicum of intelligence could be a member of that party, given their track record.

I know a few quite bright people who are active in FF and who also are honourable people. Privately, they are prepared to admit that they are perturbed by the antics of the dishonest and dishonourable in their party, and they hope to change things.

I also know people in some of the other parties who I would not consider particularly gifted, and I would have concerns about the honesty of one or two of them.

The problem that FF has is not the small number of corrupt people in the party, or the somewhat larger number of dishonourable ones. The problem is that the party culture has evolved so that their misbehaviour is not dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hi everyone,
    I have to get something off my chest and feel quite foolish for not posting this here before the actual elections.
    I suppose it was really only when the election results came in was i finally awoken to what i find to be a rather disturbing truth.

Nearly half of the Irish electorate made a mistake in the process of deciding who they were going to vote for in their "local" council elections.

A stat came out yesterday from rte and it read that 54% of people who voted on Friday for the local elections voted for people and what they believed the people could do for the community, while 46% voted for parties and voted due to the way that the economic crisis has been handled....

Am I the only person who see's something vitally wrong here?
    These are local elections which concern the running of county councils and town councils...

I voted for the people which I believe will do the best work for my community, what the hell happened to everyone else!!!

Can anyone of that 46% answer intelligently and back up their answer to why you would vote in a local election on a national matter?
    It's just.....

can you smell the ff'er

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Either reason is a valid reason to vote if u ask me, the media / opposition tried to turn it into a protest vote. Ultimately local government services / policies are dictated from the centre and a lot of important decisions are taken by the head of administration. I think it's much of a muchness who u vote in to local government to b honest.

Councillors represent people quite well when looking for services fr the council but I'm not sure I'll ever need them for anything other than street lighting. Do they still have the power to zone land? That's been a controversial one in the past. As it turned out I voted for the person with the caveat they were not ff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

[quot

It's just.....

I don't think it matters a whole pile who sits on the locals if they all have the community as their priority and can set aside their colours, but we had only one chance to show the present government what we think of them and we have voted accordingly. Long live democracy!

two things shock me and need more attention than this crap about a protest vote

low turnout (never mind europe or the past turnouts it was still low)
    25% support for fianna fáil - wtf!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

At least the greens got what they deserved. I'll never again vote for the cycling leeches.

IrishSerf wrote: »
    At least the greens got what they deserved. I'll never again vote for the cycling leeches.

explain?

yes they deserve it, but i would be much happier if fianna fáil suffererd the same defeat - not just a huge loss

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you betya:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It's just.....

Well to me, all of the candidates in the local election had the exact same policies. You could predict EXACTLY what would be on each flyer before you read it as they ALL said the same thing and wanted the same thing. So everyone has the same policies...nothing to distinguish the candidates there.

I am new to the area I voted in so I didn't know any of the candidates or know their abilities .... nothing to distinguish them there either unfortunately. Hopefully this will change although I suspect I will not see them again until the next election so it probably won't change.

What am I left with...parties. I strongly disapprove of FF so, to my way of thinking, a candidate who is a member of FF has demonstrated a distinct lack of intelligence and credibility....that automatically rules them out!

Decision made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Ludo +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

IrishSerf wrote: »
    I don't think it matters a whole pile who sits on the locals if they all have the community as their priority and can set aside their colours

And as soon as we see the bits in bold, we might be able to vote that way.

The only aspect of FF "setting aside their colours" was hiding their logo.

On everything else (e.g. the impact of Aer Lingus abandoning Shannon) they sat back on their arses and didn't put pressure on their party by threatening to resign.

So if their party gives us the two fingers, we'll do likewise. If they left their party and showed that they put the interests of their community first, instead of their party, then they wouldn't have had to deal with the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's just.....

Or we are just politically astute although this does have hints of "The people have spoken, the bastards" . As others have commented councils have very little real power and the image of the gombeen councillors is a strong one. In that respect it doesn't really matter who we pick. We see local elections for what they are; in the main, party activists who fancy a shot at playing at politics and a ragtag collection of fringe parties and independents with a cause. That's not to say there is no talent at all or that some of these causes are not good ones, but many councillors are mediocre to poor at the best of times.

I personally struggled with what was on offer in my own area although part of my tactical voting was to ensure that certain parties do not have a pool of candidates for the next general election. The real power lies with the county manager anyway, who gets to spend the money although s/he is "employed" by councils.

We are not alone in how we vote. Almost every other EU country does exactly the same thing. Generally it's a pure protest vote but this one was different in that it was targeted at a government which spouts meaningless soundbytes about difficult decisions, communicates very badly, continues to underestimate the social and political ramifications of most their policies and more importantly refuses to listen to anyone. On balance I think we got this one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You cant seperate the party from the candidate. If there was a box for "Im voting for this guy only as an individual, i despise his party and his gormless leaders stupidity so please dont consider this a vote for a FF councillor - except that it is. Kinda. But only cos I like the politician as an individual. But not FF. Oh I think I need to lie down now" then maybe there would be a possibility of that. Hence, the 54% who voted ignoring the parties they were voting for have the real problem.

Now if there was a great candidate doing great work, but in the wrong party Id simply tell them - "Sorry, I cant vote for you right now because it might be mistaken as support of your party which I cant abide. Run as an independant or switch to another party and you will have my vote".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats worth noting here is that while its about local issues - why should people stand by and elect a candidate who aligns himself with a party that has a poor record or they don't support? At the end of the day, by voting for a particular candidate who runs with a party is two votes: A vote of approval for the candidate and the party. Some of the FF candidates who ran as Independent got elected, but if they remained with FF there chances were probably a lot slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

What people don't realise is that councillors actually do have quite a lot of power, not just the little Cllr. on their next election poster... The whole property developer/Fianna Fáil tag-team against the economy was made possible by the fact that Fianna Fáil controlled all the councils, who they used to rezone land etc (even if they no longer have that power, the damage is done).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

The Raven. wrote: »
    The Greens are now reconsidering their role in government, and they may just decide to pull out.
    I really doubt that. If I were a Green Minister, I would see the result and think that this was the worst possible time for a General Election to be called for my election prospects. I would see the forthcoming Copenhagen conference and recognise that having a Green Minster at that is more important that the survival of the party after the next election.

So I really doubt that'll happen. In fact, the results would pressurise me to stay. I would recognise that FF are desperate to remain in power, no matter (1) what and that a new programme for government could be negotiated that was even Green-er(2).

1. 1992 Lab/FG and Lab/FF post-election negotiations and acceptance of Labour demands.
    2. Comparison of Green manifesto before the last election to the programme for government. Both easily available online

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

P.S. The people will now get the bad planning, dodgy rezoning, and housing estates built on flood plains with no public transport or education facilities that they deserve.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    You cant seperate the party from the candidate. If there was a box for "Im voting for this guy only as an individual, i despise his party and his gormless leaders stupidity so please dont consider this a vote for a FF councillor - except that it is. Kinda. But only cos I like the politician as an individual. But not FF. Oh I think I need to lie down now" then maybe there would be a possibility of that. Hence, the 54% who voted ignoring the parties they were voting for have the real problem.

Now if there was a great candidate doing great work, but in the wrong party Id simply tell them - "Sorry, I cant vote for you right now because it might be mistaken as support of your party which I cant abide. Run as an independant or switch to another party and you will have my vote".

+1. Spot on.

Local Politicians join the party that reflects their own policies, otherwise why join? If its simply to get the backing of a larger party, without agreeing to their policies, then they're already compromised, and hardly worth trusting. Better to go out on your own and stand by your own opinions. I guess that's why I tend to pay more attention to the Independents.
    Koyasan wrote: »
    P.S. The people will now get the bad planning, dodgy rezoning, and housing estates built on flood plains with no public transport or education facilities that they deserve.

Strange.. We've already gotten most of that over the last ten years... Although you didn't include corruption, and back handers to businesses regardless of the effects on the community. :rolleyes:

Advertisement