Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3v3 setup

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Me and a few guildies have a 3v3 team just for sh1ts and giggles and today we decided to run disc priest, disc priest, retlol and surprisingly for us it worked! I know we arent playing high ratings but we just rolled on with an 80% win rate! Im hateful/deadly geared and the ret is the same (tho he was playing mostly naxx25 gear for this setup) and the priest was fully blue with full frostsavage! Any of the PvPers out there see any potential in this set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

it'll be ok at lower levels but higher up with say a decent shammy, will just purge everything. then blow up your pally once he has forbearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Thats one of the perks of this set up, the shammy will have constant mana burns on him so he well go oom quite fast! Between 2 - 3 k mana gone every 1.5 secs. Everything can be feared (i take out tremor 1st ofc) and a priest can put out some decent dmg. (Holy fire-1.8k, smites 2.3-2.7k(glyphed) +dots) pala on the shammy distracting and taking some of the healing from dps, also me and the ret have gd timing for cc train, i know we wont reach rly high levels (ive nvr rly 3v3'd i mainly 2v2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Here's an idea for 3s.

RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP

Hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Here's an idea for 3s.

RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP
    RMP

Hope this helped.

RMP = ?

<-- Total pvp n00b

Edit : Just copped it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

When playing 3v3 you want to lessen diminishing returns on cc as much as possible, you also want a comp that can put out sustainable pressure when push comes to.....in order to make the opposing team play defensive, sadly your team does neither of the above, with mana burns being nerfd and both your screams on Diminishing returns its a no go, as for meeting shammies at higher 3's well let me just say if its a Cleave or holyplay or RLS believe me you wont be doing any mana burns, one of your priests will be trained (the one in pve gear) and will go down quick while you do your best to spam heal, aka not doing 1 single mana burn :D

your setup works well if you integrate a shammy into the frey also known as a holyplay setup! (I dont make up these names)
    While rmp is and always has been the supreme 3's comp its not something you roll into and get good with after a week or 2, our rmp team is consisted of 3 alts we've been practiciing for about 2 months and its safe to say we're no where near the level of some of the teams on our bg (and im playing with chamirez and walentine no1 priest/ret in the world last year, now top20), its an insane comp that requires formidable synergy and co-operation to be played to its potential, check some H.O.N movies out, simply astonishing.

I'm running cleave at the moment PALA/DK/WAR and we're having some goiod success versus rmp, sitting on the mage with lichbourne/bladestorm/ams etc while ccing the priest works well sadly this all really comes down to how good the opposing teams mage is.

There is a number of setups you can run as priest that are a LOT more forgiving than jumping into rmp.

Priest/ret/shammy(else/resto) doesnt really matter
    priest/rogue/dk
    priest/rogue/feral
    priest/rogue/lock (destro)
    priest/dk/ret
    priest/ret/rogue
    priest/warrior/rogue
    priest/rogue/mage (IMO the hardest to play well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Update your damn sig Sunzz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

TLDR at end.

If you play for "Sh*ts and giggles" then play what you enjoy, if you enjoy what Disc P x2 + ret is netting for you is then play it. I understand people have obsessions with being the best at everything but please remember that's not possible in life, more importantly, this is a game an MMO, it is ment to create a sence of well being through fun, social aspects and acheivments. If any aspect causes you any amount of stress or uncomfort due to loss of an item to another player or arena match then stop and try another part of the game if you dont you might as well be a crack addict, why would you put yourself through high blood pressure whilst paying for it? You acheive the same thing through smoking..... My point is, play what you enjoy, if you get frustrated with it, then learn to see where mistakes were made calmly, learn to adapt and appreciate the opponents who totally whip your ass cause 9/10 if they do, they deserve to do so. You can only get better at WoW the more willing you are to accept adaptations and realise that it's a team game, you cant solo into end game, or solo arena etc and this takes time, you cant just learn to arena with a team mate in 5 games and expect flawless play etc.

I would like to add I play a mage at 2300+ 2v2 arena level with a rogue and a 2400+ 3v3 arena level with a rogue priest and I am by no means a care bear or QQ'er my above post is just a message really which I think if people went by would cause so much less whine over all the forums.

I know my above post is compleatly off topic, I am not saying anyone is whining here either. My main reason for posting this is due to the fact the whole world and it's mother is crying nerf RMP cause of SK's win in the MLG tourny and the whine and cries for nerf based on 1 team has just become sad, in the past year I was appreciated as a skilled mage in pvp, however in the past day if I win due to my skill and playing, I get whined at and told I only win cause my class is OP etc etc, its silly. I am by no means full of myself, I loose my fair share of duels and arena etc, I just say to myself what could I do next, could I have saved my CoC to keep the pet off my rogue to allow him to vanish with 100% sucess etc, I dont go into a forum and whine for nerfs and buffs etc. No one should which brings me to the point of this long post, apologies for derailing it, but I think the point I make is quite an important one.

TLDR: If the game cause's you stress in the form of PvP take a break and do something else like PvE, raids, quests, alts etc. If you find the need to PvP despite getting frustrated, then vent it through your own means, not through whining and fighting, most of the time a loss is due to a fault of your own. Dont get me wrong, it's your game, play it as you wish, you pay to do so, but remember I pay also, so does every other player and alot of the time all the other "payers" dont want to put up with people's whine's. If Blizz see's a problem with a class they will try balance it. millions of people dont need to see whine for it.

Thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

At the moment I think Priests are so good because they have potential to go offensive and help pressure others, as well as Holy Fire and the likes which can really bother Rogues, another toughie in 3s as they can survive anything unless the people on them time cc or something like a Death Coil to stop them burning a cd and living to reset their fight.

Not to mention the fact they have a defensive AND an offensive dispel, wtfhax ;(

@AaronFitz

I don't think anyone is moaning about your individual class being overpowered (I play a mage also)

However, when the setup is played to its potential there is really nothing out there that comes close to beating it, sure you can say PHD has a good chance, but thats really only on ROV. You can't deny that the setup is insane this has been proven with EVERY tournament being dominated by PMR in the last 5 seasons, granted the emergence of cleave this season is having an effect but its still not putting a dent in the amount of RMPS sitting at the top.
    The synergy of the team and the amount of cc that can be put out is unrivaled, that + the burst that can be thrown out through a shatter combo is just insane.

Going to update it now psycho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There are way too many acronyms in this thread.

It has great synergy I admit, but I have come across comps such as hunter mage priest, hunter mage shaman, warr ret druid, and even rogue warr druid, and these classes have alot more randomness to them I admit, but I have being singled out many times by a team with warr rogue priest and the rogue uses killing spree after all my defensive CD's are used, now the argument to avoid this is stay close togeher to spread its damage, but if we do this the warr goes sweeping strikes bladestorm and if you have any experiance with this you know it's un healable with either wound or MS up.

The synergy of a killing spree rogue, bladestorm warrior accompanied by a priest druid or shaman is alot more than what a rogue mage priest offers imo.... You have 2 choices, eat the KSpree on one person which is just insane damage, or 2-3 of you eat a Sweeping Reckless bladestom which gets 2 of us down to 40% applies to much pressure to heal, the only reason RMP is so potent is due to the fact so few people know how potent some less likely comps are.

Would also like to add, at 2100 ish rating a dest lock, ele shaman, restokin druid absoultly exploded our priest while she was flying through the air over thunderstorm.....As in there was nothing we could do, my attempt to counter spell the inevidable was stoped by a hex, rogue was in a cyclone, fair enough it was our fault the match dragged on long enough so all trinks had to be used, but thats not hard when there are 2 classes available to heal combined with posion clensing tot + abolish posion = no heal debuff, not able to kite with -70% crippeling, it made me cringe. Its these sort of unlikely teams would kill RMP totally in higher rating, but people dont experiment with team set up's they just go with cookie cutter teams.

I'm not one to talk, I went with a cookie cutter comp too, but thats cause I was invited to the team by a few ingame friends.

Your point about 70% crippling poison and it being annoying when applied to you......you do play PMR right :p

As far as sweeping/blade/killing goes save blink/block :D
    The teams you've mentioned NONE of them have the ability to reset fights quite like RMP do, 2x ice (unless they kill you in hyp) cloaks into evasion into full heals, And none of them have the cc ability with diminishing returns that we do either, granted priest/rogues nerfs helped a we bit but not much.

Every time we play 3's on our alts and we see a warrior team without a dispeller we're a VERY happy bunch, i mean once the initial blade has been stopped via blink/iceblock then its a free win and free cc and you can be sure unless you're playing a paladin something is dying in a shatter while the healer is in a cc chain of being afraid to trinket anything but blind

poly/ics/blind/fear/deep freeze you pick one (oh i do love fingers of frost :D) All in all rmps require masterful synergy to be played at the likes of mlg, but I really dont see how you can justify in saying the comp is not overpowered and im also playing it, granted its probs not as long as you and im currently only at 2300 rating, but I've not found alot of teams with the exception of maybe Rogue Lock(destro) Shammy, Paladin Hunter Dk (on certain maps)
    and what i play on my main in 3's dk/warrior/pala quite easy, ps: we get farmed alot by PMR's that have been playing more than 2 months :D but we will get there

Also your comment about teams not using anything but PMR well thats not true alot of teams at mlg ran what they thought would be counter comps, from warrior/dk/pala (which we have done well versus rmp with) to teams like RLS and PHD I even seen some double healer teams, suffice to say they all failed :D

Oh I know there are other viable setup's what I was trying to say is nobody tries very unlikely setup's like a Killingspree rogue (always Mut) or Ele shamans combined with dest locks + Restokins, these teams are quite able to CC with lots of posion dispell which totally negates RMP only heal debuff.

I totally agree on the fact RMP has like a million way's to reset the fight, but once prep / cold snap is used thats it, if it drags out long enough (due to an unlikely setup such as having 2 dps speced caster healers such as ele shaman who is willing to heal when restokin is in trouble. The restokin has moonkin armour, the shaman has mail + sheild, the lock has a passive -30% damage due to molten skin talent + soul link + glyph of soul link, so no target is really viable to kill for our rogue... See what I'm getting at? Its these unlikely teams you will come across that will shake your foundation. RMP is hard counter to other cookie cutter build's, there are "soft" counters to RMP it's just more so the unlikely setup's thus you rarely encounter them.

Advertisement