Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ireland Modem PIN

• 08-06-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the default PIN code used when I activate this on Mobile Partner? Is it the last 4 digits of the PUK code or something

Ive been through the 3 Midband megathread but searching all day for this...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is no default PIN, it's whatever PIN is assigned to your SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

I guess I'll have to call them so, Im down to my last try to enable PIN.
    I persume this PIN will stop my neighbours getting free internet use from me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The PIN number will not stop your neighbours accessing your internet. The PIN code prevents someone with physical access to the SIM card from using it to access the internet.

If you hook your internet up to a wireless router or share / broadcast it in some other fashion your neighbours may still have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

All 3 sim cards have 0000 as the default PIN. You then change it to whatever you want.

Thanks for info guys, I dont have it routed or anything but heard the neighbours saying there is free internet available in the building, I cant pick up an unsecured signal so just worried that its mine they're talking about!

Could neighbours be getting "my" 3Broadband internet just by their laptop being able to pick up the signal or will it show to them as secured even though I have not put any security in place?

Thanks again.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You are confusing 3G with WiFi

Yes they are both Wireless. Your SIM is the physical key for the encrypted 3G service which needs a 3G modem. The PIN only lets you use your key (the SIM).

WiFi is on a different band. If you had a WiFi router, it might use a 3G modem to connect to the Internet, the 3G SIM PIN would be nothing to do with that.

WiFi uses different hardware and software and security to a 3G Network. It's an entirely separate system. Usually not used to connect direct to the Internet but as a connection to someones home network that has ADSL, Metro, Breeze, Cable or 3G modem AND a router.

Often ADSL has the Modem, Router and WiFi point all in one box. If you just have a modem for 3G connected to your USB and you have not set up any ICS(Internet connection sharing) and AdHoc WiFi on your laptop/PC, then they can't be using your connection. Cable, Metro, Breeze and 3G use the original Modem and either a Router/WiFi box with a USB port or an ethernet "WAN" port. Then you don't install a 3G modem at all (or connect direct to Breeze, Metro or Cable) and just connect to WiFi.

It's very likely that someone has set up WiFi built-in on an ADSL Modem/Router in error or deliberately to be "open".

Only your WiFi, not the 3G Modem can detect an unsecured signal. If in doubt go Settings | Network Connections | WiFi and right click and disable. You don't need WiFi running for a 3G modem dongle.

Your right I am, thanks for explaining.
    Wish I could get proper Broadband without being charged like its something I need just for fun.

Advertisement