Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver Birch

Options
  • 08-06-2009 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi

First of all I am not a very good gardner...! I cut the half acre of grass about once a week and thats about it... :D .... Anyway... I have about 10 silver birch planted in my garden now about 7 years. All are now about 15 foot high and are generally doing well. This year I noticed that 3 of them have literally only a handful of leafs whilst the ones beside them have hundreds. Is this normal or is there something wrong...?? I'd like to be more technical but I haven't a clue...! Any ideas....??

Rats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

could be any number of things wrong given the limited information provided....one thing that i would say you need to be aware of is "honey fungus" which can be extremely destructive to a lot of tree species but birchs are very susceptable to it,it spreads rapidly and the recommended course of action is removal and burning :eek:...hopefully thats not what you have but if you are going to plant birch it is something thats worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Cheers for the reply. I had a look and there and there doesn't seem to be anything like the honey fungus that I googled. I have a few cats that sometimes use the trees like scratching posts but to me the marks in the bark look superficial. I'll keep an eye on them over the next month to see if they improve. Maybe they are just slow this year for some reason...?

Cheers

Rats

Advertisement