Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously worried

Options
  • 08-06-2009 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

2nd time around Got prov 39% in a practical ... can't go on without a pass!! (40%) Anyone know chances of it going up? Any advice what to do before I jump ship!!!! Devastated:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

39%?! would be harsh if it didnt pop up to 40 in the final especially if its such an important exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Thanks mate but Spoke to Prog office & told almost NO chance of grade going up !! Guess I'm dropping out really don't know what to do now. Cant understand why I wasnt told I was heading for this again! Feel so down right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Thanks mate but Spoke to Prog office & told almost NO chance of grade going up !! Guess I'm dropping out really don't know what to do now. Cant understand why I wasnt told I was heading for this again! Feel so down right now.

No repeat available?

Would have to repeat the whole semester ... for 2nd time! Think all I can do is drop it and start all over ... all for 1%!!!! Just can't believe I was so close. Could cry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Can I ask what you got the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op i know from experience, if your that close they will put you up.

Go speak to lecturer/demonstrator too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've heard of plenty losing out on a first or a 2.1 for lack of 1%, but I've never heard of a 39% not being bumped up to a pass, or even a 38%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Go talk to your lecturer.

Programme office heads have to tell you that. Lecturers are people (in case you didnt know) and are generally sound about this kind of thing ESPECIALLY if you have to drop out if you don't pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

[...]Lecturers are people (in case you didnt know) and are generally sound about this kind of thing ESPECIALLY if you have to drop out if you don't pass.
    +1 to this.

Email them and arrange a time to discuss the circumstances, Noodle.

Thanks everyone .... I really hope that you might be right but...!!! Got 35 last time. It is a continuous kind of assessment tho no marks are given until the results come out but I had got some good feedback a couple of times &. Really thought I'd done better this time around ... not brilliantly but a good d+ or c. Was under bit of external pressure but thought I was handling it ok. Really stunned! Have e mailed lecturer & am waiting for reply but am not too hopeful as heard today of someone who got 39 last year 1st time around & didn't get through with same lecturer!!! Am really concerned & prog office weren't positive at all .... Will have to see if get meeting with lecturer & if anything can be done .... would be happy to work on it if that was option to do whatever is needed, prob not tho!
    Any advice on how to approach a meeting? Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

In the meeting, discuss your circumstances, talk about the external pressure you were under, discuss how much hardship you're faced with, keep eye contact. Really, really emphasise the circumstances you're under, the effect that this grade will have on you and that you can't keep repeating because the financial burden is so great etc... on you and your family, hence dropping out. Remember, they know everything so you're going to have to do a bit of plaumausting and when they talk let them talk, let them think they're the 'be all and end all'. You have to present you're situation as something out of 'Hard Times' (Dicken's book with Oliver Twist). Good luck with it anyway, hope you get your 1%.

Thanks for that. Got a meeting arranged for later this week ... really aprehensive and not very hopeful, but worth a try. Really need this to work out!!

Advertisement