Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Councillor convicted of fraud tops poll

Options
  • 08-06-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

IrishTimes wrote:
    The Galway councillor who refused a judge’s direction “to do the honourable thing” and resign after being convicted of fraud came out a poll-topper yesterday. Cllr Michael “Stroke” Fahy topped the poll in the Loughrea electoral area just six months after being convicted by a jury of obtaining the benefit of €7,055 from Galway County Council.

The former Fianna Fáil councillor, who is now an independent, has appealed the conviction, a jail sentence and a fine of €30,000. At the hearing Judge Michael White told Cllr Fahy that the most aggravating factor was the serious breach of trust by him, an elected public representative, who had set out to defraud the very body to which he was elected. Judge White said that while he did not have the authority to disqualify him as a councillor, he urged him to act with honour and resign his seat.

Cllr Fahy, who increased his vote and polled 2,247 first preferences, just 40 short of the quota, said he never had any intention of resigning and that the public had now endorsed his decision. “The people obviously believe I made the right decision to stand for election and continue to serve the people,” said the councillor, who was elected on the third count.

link

I'm not surprised, I'm not shocked, I'm just tired of this rubbish. He was convicted of fraud and still got elected. Congratulations to the people of Galway, you've done yourselves proud.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and he did better than he did in 2004 with FF

he exceeded the quota this time and got 200 more votes .

we are getting the Schtroke Tourisht Trail ready in Ardrahan as I write with a generous donation in the bag from Fáilte Ireland for the signage , most generous ...mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

The mind boggles. I despair for this country sometimes. It's the same all over the country tbh. One of the downsides of democracy I suppose - we get the government we deserve. No-one to blame but ourselves.

On a somewhat related point; I find it somewhat incredulous that someone with a conviction for abusing a public office should be even allowed to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont worry this guy got elected to sligo coco
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0312/fraud.html

served 18 months

happens everywhere you have to wonder about the voters sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Good grief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A technicality I think because he appealed.

This is mainly because the good people of Ardrahan were more than happy to elect a fraudster . Maybe Ardrahan people are all vicarious fraudsters themselves and therefore feel he best represents them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

if you do not have the support of the Dublin voters, especially the sensible thoughtful types sometimes described as floaters or even punters (Conor Lenihan), you do not form a Government....and that has been witnessed very clearly since last Friday, (a new Good Friday if you will)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well electing that sort of convicted thief to power is its own punishment. He will simply continue stealing from the very people who voted into power, sneering at their stupidity while he does so.

Advertisement