Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eating meals in liquid form

• 08-06-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Sometimes if I'm in a rush in the morning I will essentially liquidise my breakfast.

I put some oats, skim milk, banana/apple, peanut butter and concentrated fruit purée into a blender and just blitz it and drink it.

Absolutely delicious but Im just wondering am I losing some of the nutritional quality of the food by doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have heard it can reduce the effect of fibre in foods, I guess so could overchewing, it just breaks it down too much if completely liquidised. I think this can also raise the GI value of the foods as they are absorbed quicker.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Healthy digestion starts in the mouth, and chewing is an integral part of that process. In the mouth we see both mechanical breakdown and enzymatic action, both of which are supported by chewing.
    Without proper chewing to assure that carbohydrate rich foods are started on the path to digestion, these foods can enter the stomach and intestine and be acted on by pathogenic yeast. Yeast fermentation, as mentioned earlier, can cause irritation, as a side effect of gas, bloating and indigestion. Impaired carbohydrate digestion can also mean a failure to receive the simple sugars our cells need for energy.
    By properly chewing our foods, we support a healthy digestive process, promote the proper breakdown of carbohydrates, and we even aid our healthy immune system.

http://askcassyfirst.com/blog/?page_id=158

Advertisement