Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madcatz fightpads in stock at play.com

• 08-06-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered a second one (along with Mortal Kombat v DC for €20) there. Unlike gameseek, when they say they have them in stock, they actually do.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They aren't really worth it. I'd say for a mortal kombat games they are excellent but then again the playstation d-pad is more than adequate for it. The extra money spent on a stick is well worth it if you plan on playing SFIV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IIRC, MK vs DC doesn't even recognize the Madcatz pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I got one from Gameseek, no problem.

They're very good for any game that requires one input for direction. However you have to break the d-pad in because at first it was very stiff but a few sessions with 1080 (requiring a lot of 360 movements) has made it more fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IIRC, MK vs DC doesn't even recognize the Madcatz pad.
    It should do since you can use the pad with any other non fighting game (there's even a switch that lets you choose which function the dpad will take, left analogue, right analogue etc).

Just remember reading a thread on SRK complaining about the pad not working with MKvsDC; maybe they fixed it (or it was a user error).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, I remember hearing that too. Luckily MKvsDC is a pile of **** that you shouldn't be wasting time with anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    a pile of ****

I've noticed sir that you've used the term "****" to refer as a bad thing. Since when is **** a bad thing? Its SOO good!!!

A "pile of ****" would be a useless byproduct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That **** gets everywhere.

Usually ur ma's face!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That **** gets everywhere.

Usually ur ma's face!
    She jumped in the way of the kitten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Nice one, just ordered a fightstick.

Got my se fightstick today. The A button feels and sounds different to the rest of the buttons. Is this normal?

Got mine today as well but wont be able to play with it till tonight. I'll let you know about that button.

bush wrote: »
    Got my se fightstick today. The A button feels and sounds different to the rest of the buttons. Is this normal?

Doesn't happen on mine.

Ye it was a dodgy button, swapped it with one of the end ones.

Got to play with mine tonight. Square gate is v hard to get used to after using the analogue stick for so long, might look into getting it changed. Initial use I was ****e but I can see the potential in it.

All buttons seem fine btw, but a good bit of surface scratching on the face of the stick. Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Got my TE in the post there yesterday from scan.co.uk. It arrived in at my job so I got to try it out with some Third Strike on my break. Tried it out for a bit also at home and it's like I'm reinventing the wheel, I'm having to throw all the muscle memory I'd built up from using the pad out the window and start again.

I'm thinking I might pick up an octo gate, as simple things like qcf have become a pain. I'll have to do some reading to see if there are shortcuts around this with a quad gate, like there are for srk motions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might pick up an octo gate, as simple things like qcf have become a pain. I'll have to do some reading to see if there are shortcuts around this with a quad gate, like there are for srk motions.

Mine is on the way...couldnt play with the square gate. Even doing charge moves was tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The transition from joypad to stick with square/octo gates takes time. I think you guys might just be a little premature in blaming square gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Even doing charge moves was tough!

I used a pad for HD remix and found the shoto's easier, but since the switch to a stick with a square gate I think the charge characters are much easier.

• Advertisement

I think it says something that the majority of pro's use squares and all the japanese fighting arcade machines have square gates.

Yes, it does.
    It says they're all wrong; Korean sticks FTW!! :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it says something that the majority of pro's use squares and all the japanese fighting arcade machines have square gates.

Well, most of them grew up used to square gates BECAUSE they were what was in arcades, so that argument could go either way. I find qcf spamming slightly easier to do on an octo gate, but I can't use charge characters well at all on one, and I'm happy on the square gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Figured out what my problem was. It's nothing to do with the square gate, I've actually gotten used to it pretty quick, my issue is my timing. The buttons on the TE are a lot more sensitive than the ones on my Saturn pad, the game reads an input even if I've only begun to depress the button (i'm having to watch where my fingers are, just slightly rubbing off one of the buttons causes it to read an input)

Due to this I'm out of sync with my muscle memory from using the pad (the input readout is a godsend in training). When I do the motion for a fireball the punch comes out when I'm df rather f. Same with my ultras and supers, the lk is coming out before I've pressed b or f. To pull them off it actually feels like I'm waiting now.

It just needs practice though, but at least I know what I'm doing wrong.

I had the same problem as well. Say for a hadouken, you have to press the button slightly after you have made the motion and not before it like you would on a pad. Takes some getting use dto though and you have to be very good with your timeing for combos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm going to give the square gate another chance this weekend. At least I will have the option to change when I get my octagonal gate.

BTW, I posted a sealed Ryu 360 pad on adverts. I know there a few people still looking. if you are a fan of the charge characters, maybe avoid it, but using it for the Shotos is brilliant.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    BTW, I posted a sealed Ryu 360 pad on adverts. I know there a few people still looking. if you are a fan of the charge characters, maybe avoid it, but using it for the Shotos is brilliant.
    I find the fightpad works best for charged characters and that it limits what I can do with a shoto character. For example, it's hard to do the ultras quickly without ending up as an ex dragon punch.

Well my stick has the probem with the washer too, along with the dodgy button. Madcatz really are a bunch of gimps. Luckily ive already got better buttons and stick on the way.

That's unfortunate, where did you get your stick bush? It sounds suspiciously like you got a refurbished or a second hand stick from the original bad bunch. New sticks shouldn't have dodgy buttons, it sounds used.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Figured out what my problem was. It's nothing to do with the square gate, I've actually gotten used to it pretty quick, my issue is my timing. The buttons on the TE are a lot more sensitive than the ones on my Saturn pad, the game reads an input even if I've only begun to depress the button (i'm having to watch where my fingers are, just slightly rubbing off one of the buttons causes it to read an input)

This is the problem with people using Sanwas at first - if you end up finding it difficult to get used to, you could consider buying Seimitsu buttons and swapping them in. They're arcade-quality too, just not as ridiculously sensitive.

Advertisement