Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Hero

• 08-06-2009 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Most Waterford people today have never heard of a man called George Lennon.

He was the leader of the Waterford Flying Column during the War of Independence. Operating from the Comeragh mountains, he carried out a series of ambushes across the county, and was involved in several other actions in Cork and Limerick. After this he fought for the Republican side in the Civil War, but resigned when it became obvious that the war would destroy the country.

In the 1930s, he spoke out against the Catholic Church, which caused him to be banished from his home. This made him a "communist" in the eyes of the people back then; it was a brave thing to do then, in light of what we know now.

He later emigrated to America. For these reasons he is forgotten now in his home county.

This year, it is hoped that his ashes will be scattered on the Republican plot in Kilrossanty where his fallen comrades lie. It is intended to be a small ceremony.

This might very well be the last "burial" of an Old IRA man. The Department of Defence have refused to allow any Irish Army presence despite the request of Lennon's family. (the civil servant who refused the ceremony wouldn't even sign the letter, just using a rubber stamp) which I feel is a disgrace. Many men who did far less than Lennon got a volley of shots over the grave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Wow, that's very interesting, a country he fought to create, he was forced to leave it, and now its government refuses to acknowledge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Thats shocking...how did they justify not even commiting a token representation? I'm sure there is a local RDF unit that would be more than willing to volunteer to provide a GOH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DFL

God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
    When the danger is passed and all things righted,
    God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

Hmmm, not knowing the full facts of his case, I can't say yea or nay.

I'd recommend speaking to Willie O'Dea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

could this be why maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Waterford#Waterford_1850-1923

After the evacuation of British troops (Devon Regiment) from Waterford city at the end of the Irish War of Independence, the military and police barracks were occupied by the Waterford Flying Column, under the leadership of George Lennon of Dungarvan, which was part of the combined (1921) Waterford Brigade under the command of Pax Whelan from Dungarvan. Like most active members of Oglaigh na hEireann (IRA) these men opposed the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1922 and therefore took the Republican side when the Irish Civil War commenced with the firing upon the Four Courts, reportedly at British pressure, in late June 1922

maybe he fought against free state forces in the civil war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Didnt stop Dev getting his honours!

Oh god...just realized that this comment has unwittingly opened up thread to arm-chair republicans and provo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mahonvalley

Morphéus wrote: »
    could this be why maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Waterford#Waterford_1850-1923

maybe he fought against free state forces in the civil war?

He did, but he laid down his arms rather than fight in the vicious guerilla war that followed after August 1922. Most of his men went with him, which spared Waterford from the worst of the Civil War.

Also, Ernie O'Malley fought bitterly against the Free State throughout the Civil War, as Liam Lynch's deputy.
    When he died in 1957 he was buried by the Army with honours appropriate to a general.

His memoirs are online - judge the man for yourself.
    He volunteered for the Army in 1940 but was rejected due to TB.

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/116/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I think that the presence of the armed forces are very rare occasion on civil burial ceremonies.
    If he'd be a member of official Irish Defence Force /or whatever name I should use/, I think it would be a slightly different story.

But:

Born in the South of Ireland of old Northern ancestry. He was the leader of an Active Service Unit (Flying Column) during the War of Independence (1916—1921). As a pacifist he was, in part, instrumental with the late Chester Carlson (inventor of Xerography) in founding a large Buddhist community in the United States. He later played a part in the American anti-war movement that sprung up in opposition to the Viet Nam war. His home was in Rochester, N.Y.

Not saying Army yes or no, just seems to me a bit odd if the above is true

A military presence and usually a firing party were SOP for any Old IRA veteran's funeral (unless not requested by NOK)

• Advertisement

FiSe wrote: »
    I think that the presence of the armed forces are very rare occasion on civil burial ceremonies.
    If he'd be a member of official Irish Defence Force /or whatever name I should use/, I think it would be a slightly different story.

But:

Born in the South of Ireland of old Northern ancestry. He was the leader of an Active Service Unit (Flying Column) during the War of Independence (1916—1921). As a pacifist he was, in part, instrumental with the late Chester Carlson (inventor of Xerography) in founding a large Buddhist community in the United States. He later played a part in the American anti-war movement that sprung up in opposition to the Viet Nam war. His home was in Rochester, N.Y.

Not saying Army yes or no, just seems to me a bit odd if the above is true

Personally, I'd have huge respect for someone who fought in a war but became a pacifist afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Fighting on the Republican side in the Civil War wouldn't preclude him from having a firing party at his burial.

The rule was that the deceased must have been in receipt of an Old IRA pension. Mr Lennon may not have been if he emigrated to the US in the 30s.

The application for a firing party should have been made to the Army not the Dept of Defence.

And yes, Minister O'Dea will probably fix it if asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

There are many such stories from this period.

The bitterness of the Civil War still lingers in many communities.

Thanks for posting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

This situation is more complex than it might appear.

The people responisible for the Republican Plot in Kilrossanty are hardline Republicans of the old school, which is possibly why the Department of Defence don't want to get involved.

For their part, these old school Republicans have now announced that they will not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave apparently due to his abandonment of the Catholic faith and to his "abandonment of the armed struggle in 1922....."

Fighting on the Republican side in the Civil War wouldn't preclude him from having a firing party at his burial.

The rule was that the deceased must have been in receipt of an Old IRA pension. Mr Lennon may not have been if he emigrated to the US in the 30s.

The application for a firing party should have been made to the Army not the Dept of Defence.

And yes, Minister O'Dea will probably fix it if asked.

Lennon held the Old IRA pension and the War of Independence medal.

The civil servants in the Department of Defence got their fingers burnt in West Waterford before. (see Below)

They wouldn't be bitter as a result would they?

CORK EXAMINER

February 1999

Pensions repayment uproar led to rule change

by Mark Hennessy
    THE Government is to abandon rules demanding the recovery of tiny Old IRA pension over-payments, following a Waterford family's fury over an effort to get back £39.33 paid to the widow of a War of Independence veteran after her death.
    Eighty-five year old Mary Mansfield, whose husband, Michael served alongside General Liam Lynch, died on January 26 - six days after the usual monthly Old IRA pension cheque arrived to her Burgery, Dungarvan home.
    Immediately notified of her death by her son, Mr Tony Mansfield, 3 Sexton Terrace, Dungarvan, the Department of Defence wrote on February12 to get back the pension money paid between the time of her death and the end of January. The payable order dated 20th January, 1999 represented payment for the entire month of January.
    "The pension ceased to be payable on January 26, 1999 the day your mother passed on," an official wrote to her son. "It would be appreciated if you could arrange to have this overpayment refunded at you earliest convenience as this Department has an accounting responsibility to recover any losses to public funds," he went on.
    Furious, Mr Mansfield, an ATG&WU official, repaid the full amount but only after he had complained strongly to the Defence: "I told them that it was totally insensitive, particularly coming so soon after her death."
    Still annoyed yesterday, he emphasised that he did not want the money back: "Some friends told me that I should have sent it to the St. Vincent de Paul but my father would not have wanted that. He would have wanted things to be kept straight.
    "But it shows a lack of respect. I am proud of him. These people went out and beat an Empire. To get this type of thing from a department is completely unacceptable. Without people like my father, there would not be a Dáil," he said.
    His father, a West Waterford Brigade veteran, died aged 93 in 1991. He joined Lynch in the attack upon the barracks in Fermoy in 1919. He remained on the Republican side during the Civil War which followed.
    Yesterday, a contrite Department of Defence admitted that seeking the money back could be seen as being petty, but they had to protect taxpayers' money: "Some pension payments made out of here are pretty sizeable," said a source.
    However, Defence said it usually wrote one letter in search of the money, and no more: "Except in the case of larger amounts, it is never pursued. The feeling is that we have fulfilled our obligations by doing that," said a spokesman.
    Acknowledging the upset, the Department said it will now bring in formal rules to ensure that the relatives of the 2,000 widows of Old IRA men and the even smaller number of veterans who are left are not treated in the same way.
    Delighted, Labour TD Brian O'Shea, who had supported the family's complaints and will again put down a question to the Minister for Defence next week, said: "It is nice to win one like this, but this kind of thing should not happen in the first place."

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

The people responisible for the Republican Plot in Kilrossanty are hardline Republicans of the old school, which is possibly why the Department of Defence don't want to get involved.

For their part, these old school Republicans have now announced that they will not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave apparently due to his abandonment of the Catholic faith and to his "abandonment of the armed struggle in 1922....."

That settles that then.
    The civil servants in the Department of Defence got their fingers burnt in West Waterford before. (see Below)

They wouldn't be bitter as a result would they?

Unlikely. I would say that the Civil Servant who stamped the letter just took the easy option. By saying No first he either gets a complaint or compliance. If he gets a complaint he passes it up the line for somebody else to make a decision. If he doesn't then problem solved.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Also, Ernie O'Malley fought bitterly against the Free State throughout the Civil War, as Liam Lynch's deputy.
    When he died in 1957 he was buried by the Army with honours appropriate to a general.

His memoirs are online - judge the man for yourself.
    He volunteered for the Army in 1940 but was rejected due to TB.

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/116/
    He was in the LDF during the war, hence the reason I suppose to be buried by the Army with honours.

" these old school Republicans have now announced that they will not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave apparently due to his abandonment of the Catholic faith "
    Have you a link to this or a quote from a local newspaper ?? Which Republican group is it and who is their spokes person ? I very surprised that we haven't heard a lot more about this in the national media........:rolleyes:

" these old school Republicans have now announced that they will not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave apparently due to his abandonment of the Catholic faith "

2 days later and no evidence to say Republicans would not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave. Just bullsh1t as suspected :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 O'Leannain

As the only son of George Lennon I have been labouring since 1987 to garner greater recognition for him and the members of the WW ASU.

Basically the prior posts are correct re denial of any possibility of dispersal of his ashes to be alongside the five slain men of Oglaigh na hEireann - Most particularly close friend Pat Keating of Comeragh and Column Doctor, Joe Walsh, brother in law of painter Sean Keating another good friend of my father from when we lived during the "Emergency" in Rathfarnham.

Coincidentally Joe's wife, writing under a nom de plume (Eliz Connor)
    dealt w/ my father's return to Ireland in the 1930's (DEAD STAR's LIGHT).
    A book which led to Joe and Una Troy Walsh being expunged from the roles of their Clonmel Church. All material readily available at the Una Troy Walsh Collection at the National Library as compiled by Ann Butler of Cambridge Massachusetts.

I had at one time contemplated dispersal of GGL's ashes at the family parish church in Dungarvan. Unfortunately, the headstones of all my Lennon/Shanahan/Crolly antecedents (along the wall to the right) have been removed and the plots apparently sold to other families. This is the same church from which my grandmother walked out of during Sunday Mass when the PP was in the process of attacking my father and other men "on the run" in the Comeraghs and Drum Hills. The PP maintains that "no records were kept"

The grave schematic in the office is also silent as to the presence of RIC Sergeant Hickey shot by a Column firing squad under my father's command.

This is a very brief summation of a lengthy tale which I have dealt with in a book soon to be available on Amazon (ULSTER TO THE DEISE: LENNONS IN TIME). More importantly Mercier will be releasing Terry O'Reilly's REBEL HEART: GEORGE LENNON FLYING COLUMN COMMANDER in August.

The Waterford Museum in Dungarvan will have an exhibit on the period(18-19 September) In attendance will be Pat McCarthy, O 'Reilly and myself.
    Copies of both books will be available.

I would be grateful if anyone w/ an interest in this "Deise Tale" would
    contact me @ ilennon@rochester.rr.com
    I can be reached in Ardmore 15 September ff

McArmalite wrote: »

2 days later and no evidence to say Republicans would not allow Lennon's ashes to be scattered at the grave. Just bullsh1t as suspected :rolleyes:

Sadly your suspicions are groundless.

Per an e mail transmittal from the the "EGM of the above named committee on the 13 of June last" we "refuse the dispersal of ashes in any form in the Republican Plot in Kilrossanty".

It was noted that others have been honoured "within their own family graves". I am quite amenable to this

Ivan Lennon

Hmmm, not knowing the full facts of his case, I can't say yea or nay.

I'd recommend speaking to Willie O'Dea.

Such posted correspondences are in my files commencing summer 2008 leading to original denial dated 31 December and denial of appeal dated 20 February 2009. Signed by Kathleen Mcauliffe, Private Secretary, Minister for Defence

Also in my files: letters from Waterford TDs Kenneally and Minister Cullen.

In all fairness to said organisation, no mention was made in the letter of denial re "Catholic faith" or "abandonment...".

McArmalite wrote: »

2 days later, this claim has been confirmed. Not bull**** at all.

2 days later, this claim has been confirmed. Not bull**** at all.
    I have been in correspondence with Mr O'Leannain as to the reasons a befitting commemoration has not happened and I very much respect his views.

/Users/ivanscomputer/Desktop/GGL- EPILOGUE.doc

Hopefully this will come through. if not, I can e mail it individually as an attachment to anyone w/ an interest in Waterford and the Troubles

Slan

A new development!

Republican Sinn Fein ( supporters of those responsible for the Omagh bombings) have seen fit to name one of their "Cumanns" after George Lennon!

http://www.revleft.com/vb/pow-picket-t104402/index.html?t=104402

Why do I suspect that this was done without the permission of his family?

Lennon would be a strange role model for RSF - he was a particularly chivalrous Flying Column commander during the War of Independence and became a man of peace by 1969.

I've since been informed that it was the Defence Minister's personal secretary who announced the veto of any Defence Forces participation, long before any extremist Republican involvement in this matter.

• Advertisement

A new development!

Republican Sinn Fein ( supporters of those responsible for the Omagh bombings) have seen fit to name one of their "Cumanns" after George Lennon!

This is their BEBO page (!)

http://www.bebo.com/Blog.jsp?MemberId=7681787043

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A new development!

Lennon would be a strange role model for RSF - he was a particularly chivalrous Flying Column commander during the War of Independence and became a man of peace by 1969.

How did you find that link?
    Are you a member of that forum?

You signed up just to post this thread, all your posts are on this thread.

I get a terrible smell here.

Hagar wrote: »
    How did you find that link?
    Are you a member of that forum?

You signed up just to post this thread, all your posts are on this thread.

I get a terrible smell here.

I too have only posted on this thread upon being alerted to its existence
    by others in the Republic.

In that this is a matter w/ which only a handful are aware - w/ origins during the Troubles and preceding through the 1930's to the present day -
    may I respectfully suggest that people acquaint themselves with the period by delving into banned writer Una Troy Walsh (wife of Column M.D. Joe Walsh who is buried at Kilrossanty)- forced to write under the name of "Eliz. Connor".Like my father and Deise painter (Power O'Malley) another WW figure ignored for less than laudatory reasons. Her book/film were banned and she was forced from the roles of her Church in Clonmel.

For an account of the 1930's return of my father to the Free State - see DEAD STAR'S LIGHT by Eliz Connor which is definitely not to be found in any Waterford library. Also the Abbey play the DARK ROAD the performance of which in 1947 happened to coincide w/ the departure of my mother and I from the Free State to join my father who had earlier taken one of the earliest civilian aircraft out of Europe post WW II.

With all due respect and w/ a sincere desire to maintain civility may I suggest that any residual odors emanate, in my estimation, from the
    purging of my family and others - not only from their gravesites - but from historical memory in Co. Waterford.

My goal remains - as it has since at least 1987 - to garner a long overdue recognition for the not insubstatntial contribution my father and others in the Deise made during the Tan period. Not only in WW - but at Bruree, Kilmallock, Kildorery etc when GGL served w/ the 1st ASU organised in East Limerick

Slan go foill

This same group recently carried out a ceremony in Co Waterford at which a former Provisional IRA terrorist was guest of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh9bkONZmh4&feature=related

A new development!

The military wing associated with RSF is the Continuity IRA. It was the Real IRA whose political wing is 32 County Sovereignty Movement who were responcible for planting the bomb at Omagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

This same group recently carried out a ceremony in Co Waterford at which a former Provisional IRA terrorist was guest of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh9bkONZmh4&feature=related

And just why in the hell would Seanna Walsh be a guest of honour at an RSF event? :rolleyes:

And just why in the hell would Seanna Walsh be a guest of honour at an RSF event? :rolleyes:

Who said they were RSF?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Night Flight viewpost.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh9bk...eature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Who said they were RSF?

Quote:

Well, "hardline republicans of the old school" would generally refer to RSF, considering that PSF are a progressive, 32-county republican movement. You'll have to forgive my assumption!

George Lennon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Lennon (1900-1991) was an IRA leader during the Irish War of Independence and the Civil War. In later years he became a dedicated pacifist.
    In 1919 he took part in an attack on British troops at Fermoy and in 1920 he participated in a major IRA attack on the RIC barracks in Kilmallock. After this he was attached to the Limerick Flying Column and took part in a series of attacks on Crown forces.
    In October 1920 he took command of the West Waterford Flying Column and led the ambushes at Piltown Cross, Tramore and the Burgery ambush.
    In the Irish Civil War, Lennon took the anti-treaty side and fought at the Battle of Waterford in July 1922 but resigned when it became obvious that the war would prove ruinous for Ireland.
    He emigrated to New York in 1927, but returned to Ireland in 1938 when he became an inspector for the Irish Tourist Board. He was outspoken against the activities of the Catholic Church in independent Ireland and after marrying a Protestant, emigrated to the USA in 1946.
    Lennon later became a pacifist and took part in protests against the Vietnam War. He later adopted Zen Buddhism and in 1967 became one of the the founders of the Rochester Zen Center.
    He died in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lennon

Who said they were RSF?

Quote:

Clarification: D of D denial of 2008 had clearly nothing to do w/ those who have a "remit" over the Kilrossanty Republican Plot. Request to WWOIRA Association was made many months subsequent to the government denials.

In light of the fact that that George Lennon was a founder - w/ other "Irregulars" forced to emigrate - of the West Waterford Old IRA organisation I naively assumed a willingness on their part to honour the Brigade Vice O/C who was one of a handful of WW men who took the "physical force" side at the time of the Redmondite split.

Parenthetically, this was a VERY unpopular position at the time of the two E. Waterford elections upon the death of John Redmond. Only became popular post 11 July 1921.

• Advertisement

What kind of self-respecting terrorist group has a BEBO page?

Doesn't look like literacy is their strong suit.

And that page about the War of Independence seems to have been lifted from this website:
    http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/22/2/

Noticed this over here:

http://upthedeise.com/waterfordmessageboard/viewtopic.php?p=130117#130117

Unfortunately its is indeed this link that has denied the man his right to a military funeral.

By using his name to promote their cause they have undermined the states ability to provide Graveside honours.

I did check it out through contacts in the Army and they are as much aggrieved but their hands are tied due to the link with RSF.

A new development!

It is only with the greatest reluctance that I am posting this. But I do this secure in the knowledge that my father would be repulsed by the mis appropriating of his name.

To utilise his name in this fashion constitutes, in my opinion, an incorrect reading of the post 1916 period in Contae Portlairge. George Lennon had a reputation as a most chivalrous Flying Column O/C. with definite ideas as to the proper methods to be used in attaining national sovereignity.

Furthermore, such an action by the RSF Cumann, without having the courtesy to notify the family, reveals a fundamental ignorance of the subsequent course of George Lennon's life. He eschewed violence and lived by the tenets of the Society of Friends (Quakers) and Zen Buddhism.

Surely, it is possible to find a more appropriate manner to honour a man who devoted himself, commencing Easter Week 1916, to the Republican cause? A man who led, under O/C Pax Whelan, the most active men
    of Oglaigh na hEireann into Portlairge in March of 1922 upon the departure of the Devon Regiment.

Parenthetically, this reclaiming of Waterford for the first time in some 750 years in the name of the Irish nation was viewed with less than enthusiasm
    by the citizens of Urbs Intacta.

O'Leannain wrote: »
    Clarification: D of D denial of 2008 had clearly nothing to do w/ those who have a "remit" over the Kilrossanty Republican Plot. Request to WWOIRA Association was made many months subsequent to the government denials.

In light of the fact that that George Lennon was a founder - w/ other "Irregulars" forced to emigrate - of the West Waterford Old IRA organisation I naively assumed a willingness on their part to honour the Brigade Vice O/C who was one of a handful of WW men who took the "physical force" side at the time of the Redmondite split.

Parenthetically, this was a VERY unpopular position at the time of the two E. Waterford elections upon the death of John Redmond. Only became popular post 11 July 1921.

Ironically, it seems that the WWOIRA Association was originally founded by Lennon in the 1930s!

Ironies abound:

In fact the 2008-2009 reaction in Ireland closely
    parallels the reaction in the fictional "Kilvane" (Dungarvan)and "Fordstown "
    (Waterford) to his 1936 return to the Free State as brought to the Abbey stage (THE DARK ROAD) in 1947

Coincidentally that was the year my mother and I caught the dun Laoghaire mailboat to eventually join GGL who had taken one of the first westbound civilian flights to the States after WW II.

I had also given thought to dispersing his ashes at his Dungarvan parish church. Unfortunately all traces of the Lennon/Crolly/Shanahans have been removed from their locale to the right by the wall.

All this is available to anyone who is interested in receiving an e mail attachment re my family in the Deise from the mid 19th century

Slan go foill
    Ivan Lennon

Noticed elsewhere:
    Burial grounds in Ireland are under the management of Local Authorities (ie. city and county councils). We spoke to Cork City Council in relation to non-denominational burial plots and were assured that all cemeteries in Ireland accept people of any faith (or no faith) into their burial grounds. As such, your defection from the church will not affect you if you wish to be buried in a cemetery.

http://www.countmeout.ie/faq/

I suspect Waterford County Council might be sounded out about this.
    This WWOIRAA might not have as much say in the matter as they think.

Advertisement