Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you make of this?

• 08-06-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭

Found this while searching for a hybrid. Don't know what to make of it. My head is saying fakes but another side of me wants to risk a few quid just to see. Maybe just buy something small and check it out.

http://www.eastgolfshop.com/index.asp

Let me know what you all think??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Mr. Rock Manager is the key contact, hhmmmmm;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Found this while searching for a hybrid. Don't know what to make of it. My head is saying fakes but another side of me wants to risk a few quid just to see. Maybe just buy something small and check it out.

http://www.eastgolfshop.com/index.asp

Let me know what you all think??

Seriously...there is no way in hell that's legit. Just had a quick look, and Scotty Cameron Studio Select for €40...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

haha, eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

they would make great trade in's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Most big manufacturers have a fixed global price which means that it's very hard to find their clubs any cheaper anywhere.

China are well known to blatantly copy anything. Their copies are getting better and eventually they may seriously damage the business of the original manufacturer. That may seem to be good in the short term but not in the long term.

Most club heads are made in the same foundaries in Asia and it's easy for them to copy exactly the heads. The shafts however may be cheaper ones (I'm not sure if these are being copied yet).

I'd ask them to tell you the shafts they use and then see if they are a well known brand that matches the ones that the original manufacturer uses.

The bottom line is that even though they are much cheaper and may be almost identical to the originals, the Chinese are not paying the marketing and R&D costs of the origin suppliers.........as such I wouldn't support them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I bought custom clubs a few years ago. Think it was in 2005.
    They're not clones, but basically custom built based on the design of the bigger manufacturers.
    I bought Driver, fairway woods, set of irons, 60Deg wedge and a two ball putter all for about $420. (back when customs weren't checking imports :D )

I haven't played that much over the years but the clubs are fairing well. My brother in law, who is a pro golfer, has used the clubs and can see no fault. In fact, he absolutely loved the driver... which cost me a massive $100.

I will say the putter is in poor condition now. Not sure if it is low quality or because I didn't even remotely look after it. No head cover and clubs thrown around the place.

I'm thinking of getting new set now and to be honest I think I will go for the real thing this time. Only because I am trying to really get into golf and want quality clubs that suit me. (i.e. custom fitted)

I'm just saying this as some people here are probably very casual players...... guys who want a decent set of clubs without spending vast sums of money.
    There are options out there, but do some serious research. I spent a long time before deciding where to buy from.
    By the way, the site in the OP is not what I'm talking about. They're quite obviously cheap knock offs.... or it's an outright scam.

Two good sites for custom clubs are :
    http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/
    http://www.gigagolf.com/index.jsp

Hope this helps and Happy hunting.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Just explore the site for a few mins...
    It looks as dodgy as fu*k!
    Stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ger_curran

Generally speaking u pay for what you get...

I'd stay away from it, theres alot of chineese fake sites that deal in a wide range of dodgy products with big brand names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Its fake. Steer well clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

The e-mail addresses are @hotmail.com and @gmail.com

As a rule I would not buy anything from websites like this. You see a lot of similar style sites selling electronic goods from China too.

Definitely fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Was just looking at a different chinese website over the weekend.

http://www.bsygolf.com/en/newsdetail.asp?id=38

I was playing with a guy on Saturday in Baltray who had bought from them. Callaway X-20's with project x shafts. Im telling ya's i inspected them for a good 10minutes while waiting on the tee. They look & feel 100% legit. I know they are more than likely fake but im definitely considering getting the 3 vokey wedges for €90. If they are sh*te ill just sell them on. And if there ok ill be getting the Ap2's straight away :D

Danow247 wrote: »
    Was just looking at a different chinese website over the weekend.

http://www.bsygolf.com/en/newsdetail.asp?id=38

I was playing with a guy on Saturday in Baltray who had bought from them. Callaway X-20's with project x shafts. Im telling ya's i inspected them for a good 10minutes while waiting on the tee. They look & feel 100% legit. I know they are more than likely fake but im definitely considering getting the 3 vokey wedges for €90. If they are sh*te ill just sell them on. And if there ok ill be getting the Ap2's straight away :D

The Chinese are starting to make good quality fakes. There's no reason why they won't be as good as the originals......after all they will be copied from the original foundaries. They don't have to pay for the R&D and pay the endorsements.

The bottom line is the "fakes" are only fake because they aren't being sold by the OEMs. But put the OEMs out of business and what will we be left with.......no further development?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

All depends what you want i suppose. Personally i'd rather pay the extra for the real thing, but each to their own. What i don't like to hear is people trying to pass off a fake as something real - like Danow hints at doing.

I was done a couple of years back. The club arrived and it was impossible to tell it may have been a fake. It was only until i went to get something fixed that it was sent back by the manufacturer who said it was a copy.

The pro in the shop showed me it up against the real thing and it was unbelievable how close they had it - just a few very subtle differences, i.e grip was slightly thinner, one patch of colour was slightly lighter on the shaft.

I still have it and i actually hit the thing very, very well. In fact if it had a stiff shaft, rather than a regular i may still even be using it.

Couple of questions though... what is the legality of such clubs from a playing point of view. Are they legal in the eyes of the R&A?

Also... the clubs are passable in terms of looks, but what about in terms of materials, design etc. Are they manufactured merely to look like the real thing or are they built to replicate performance also? I presume they're using lower quality materials, poorer manufacturing processes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    All depends what you want i suppose. Personally i'd rather pay the extra for the real thing, but each to their own. What i don't like to hear is people trying to pass off a fake as something real - like Danow hints at doing.

I was done a couple of years back. The club arrived and it was impossible to tell it may have been a fake. It was only until i went to get something fixed that it was sent back by the manufacturer who said it was a copy.

The pro in the shop showed me it up against the real thing and it was unbelievable how close they had it - just a few very subtle differences, i.e grip was slightly thinner, one patch of colour was slightly lighter on the shaft.

I still have it and i actually hit the thing very, very well. In fact if it had a stiff shaft, rather than a regular i may still even be using it.

Couple of questions though... what is the legality of such clubs from a playing point of view. Are they legal in the eyes of the R&A?

Also... the clubs are passable in terms of looks, but what about in terms of materials, design etc. Are they manufactured merely to look like the real thing or are they built to replicate performance also? I presume they're using lower quality materials, poorer manufacturing processes etc...

Sorry Graeme i was a bit vague. I wouldnt sell on to someone without telling them they were dodgy. Id sell them for below what i paid and explain the situation. Im sure there would be loads of people around my club would take them off my hands.

I was thinking that earlier aswell regards to how legal they are. Especially the drivers. I couldnt see them being legal but then again how could the gui or r&a enforce it? Im still gonna get the 3 wedges i think. €90 for the 3 is a bargain just to see what the quality is like.

Graeme1982 wrote: »

My opinions.....

I wouldn't think they are legal. I guess each manufacturer has to submit their "design" specs and their manufacturing processes for inspection and approval. The design would be approved and then if the company can show that they can replicate the design sufficiently well then they would get full approval.

So if a Chinese company wanted approval for their copies then they would have to do the same.......it wouldn't be too long before the OEM blocked the Chinese version.

Second question.......how good are the fakes?
    Well there is probably a huge markup in costs - that's why the OEMs go to ASIA in the first place. There's no reason why the Chinese can't get the data used to produce the original clubs and then use this to make an exact copy. The Chinese do not worry about being sued - there are rules to stop clones looking like the originals but that only applies if you live in a place which recognises the law.

So the "fakes" could be identical. The same materials and the same manufacturing processes. Remember that the markup is huge and that's where the Chinese make their money (in undercutting the markup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

"One of reliable surpplier for your golf items sourcing from china."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Danow247 wrote: »
    Sorry Graeme i was a bit vague. I wouldnt sell on to someone without telling them they were dodgy. Id sell them for below what i paid and explain the situation. Im sure there would be loads of people around my club would take them off my hands.

I was thinking that earlier aswell regards to how legal they are. Especially the drivers. I couldnt see them being legal but then again how could the gui or r&a enforce it? Im still gonna get the 3 wedges i think. €90 for the 3 is a bargain just to see what the quality is like.

Danny have a look at the pictures of the Vokeys on that website.
    There is a 52 deg there which is spin milled.
    AFAIK titleist don't do the 52 in spin milled, so it looks ropey as sin.

Personally I wouldn't.
    Then again they could be grand.
    Go for it, you can be the guinea pig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

JCDUB wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't.

JC Vokey make Spin Milled wedges from 48 to 64 degrees. The 48-52's are virtually identical to the vokey 200series wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

JCDUB wrote: »

Personally I wouldn't.

Would be interested in finding out what they are like if he does buy them though. If they are anyway decent might consider it.

Was just looking at http://www.bsygolf.com/en/newsdetail.asp?id=38 and was just wondering how exactly you order? Couldn't see an order button on the item pages, or am I just being blind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

available in
    Titleist Mens Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome Wedges:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Loft/Bounce: 48.06 • 50.08 • 52.08 • 54.08 (RH only) • 54.11 • 54.14 (RH only) • 56.08 (RH only) • 56.11 • 56.14 (RH only) • 58.04 (RH only) • 58.08 • 58.12 (RH only) • 60.04 (RH only) • 60.07 • 60.10 (RH only) • 62.07 • 64.07[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Steel shaft available in S200 flex [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Available in left- and right-hand [/SIZE][/FONT]

Advertisement