Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden & Dangerous 2

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be a general discussion area in the First Person Shooter forum so posting here.
    I found this game in a bargain bin about 2 years ago and love it. Bought the Sabre Squadron expansion pack as well and played it to death.
    Since there doesn't look like any chance of a sequel, anyone got a recommendation for a similar game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hidden and Dangerous 1? :D

I'm not sure if there are any games like that. The nearest thing that comes to mind would be the likes of Rainbow Six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

check out both GRAW games they are quite similar to H&D but are set in present day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Absolutely loved the Hidden & Dangerous games. H&D2 is still probably my favourite fps of all time. Graphically it still holds up pretty well. Mafia was also produced by Illusion Softworks and is an overlooked gem. In terms of military shooters the only real equivalent i can think of is Operation Flashpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It was a brilliant game alright although riddled with bugs.
    I still play it on occasion for a ww2 fix :)
    Nothing beats the 1 shot one kill policy I think for making games tense and tactical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It was a brilliant game alright although riddled with bugs.
    I still play it on occasion for a ww2 fix :)
    Nothing beats the 1 shot one kill policy I think for making games tense and tactical.

Found the second game fairly stable, but the first was notorious for the amount of bugs in it. Every patch used bring another set of game breaking bugs. I still loved it though.

The great thing about the H&D games was the freedom to play a mission anyway you liked it. You could go in guns blazing or take it tactically - sneeking around, silently taking down enemies and then just because the opportunity presented itself, stealing a tank and going mental. Just the variety and amount of kit available for your team was amazing.

I do love COD's multiplayer; but every time I play the single player campaign, I'm reminded how empty and simplistic it is, and how much thought and planning you'd have to put into H&D's.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

H&D1 was one of the most atmospheric games ever made. Until of course you fell through the ground and died.

The first 2 Ghost Recon games are a good recommendation. Also, the Operation Flashpoint games are probably quite close to H&D. You could pick up the original OF since you're not averse to playing old games.

Then there's the spiritual sequel to OF from the same developers - Armed Assault and the sequel, ArmA II due out in 5 minutes (supposed to be horribly buggy though). If that's not enough Operation Flashpoint 2 is out later this year (not made by the original developers - It's Codemasters, though it looks awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I still find it hard to find a game that comes close to H&D 1, loved the fact that a German sniper in the game was a sniper who when he shot at you he more often then not actually killed you(yep,AI had a good shot for a change:)),
    the second last level in Prague is still one of my all time favorites, You couldnt do anything or go anywhere without thinking about what you were doing first, Germans lying in rubble, snipers in bell towers and of course the tank half buried in a shop front that you thought was destroyed only for the machine gun on it to open up on you when you walked infront of it,
    memories, now to go look for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The deleux edition of the first game is a free download I believe ?
    I'll find the link when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

Downloaded the first game from Gamershell.com out of curiosity. Still quite playable for a 1999 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I loved Hidden & Dangerous 1 but it treated me so badly with its horribly soul destroying bugs. However when you experienced those rare moments of bug-free pleasure, or even rarer, a full entire problem free level, it was heaven. I didn't have the strength to try H&D2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

God, I love the H&D series.
    From the moment I played a demo of H&D 1 I knew it was something special.
    Its so incredibly atmospheric and tense, like the train station level, or escaping the airfield in a Lancaster Bomber, or defending the Catalina water plane from the German horde(Always loved the setting up everything for this level and waiting...) I could go on and on.

I believe its the first game I EVER played that utilised the weapons ironsights, and I loved it for that realism alone. Also felt you began to like certain characters like William "Spyder" Webb etc. and if theyd died during the campaign that was it, you just have to go without them. Gave an added sense of mortality I always thought. That along with skilled enemies who didnt need more than 5 shots to put you down, 1 if they were a Sniper. Ahh the amount of times I dashed for cover only to glimpse a tracer and then see that splash of red from my characters neck!!

H&D 2 was something special too, the detail and range of weapons and accessories was immense. And it kept that all important atmospheric appeal.
    Operation Flashpoint is the closest thing to it now, but certainly doesnt beat H&D.
    Now, to go play some H&D:cool:

Advertisement