Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening on a Patio with not a lot of sun!

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just posting here because i need some info (im a gardening newbie).

I just moved to a wonderful apartment with a big patio that would look lovely with some greeneries in there, now what i was looking for is something to harvest (Herbs / vegetables / fruits). The down point is, not a lot of sun gets to the apartment, i think i only have some in the morning (for 1 to 2 hours) and thats it. I have grown some Chillies and Tomatoes in the past, but inside, and in a top floor apartment with loads of light coming in due to roof windows.

I understand tomatoes need loads of light, although i imported some seeds that are known to do well in low light situations, and i understand that Chillies can do well as well in some low light situations and do fairly well in colder weather.

Are there any more vegetables etc. suitable for low light situations? Or fruits? Should i be looking into some specific direction (underground growings like potatoes, carrots etc, or lettuces or just general herbs like basil etc.)?

Thanks a lot for any pointers etc. that come in, like i said, i have no idea if it is even possible to grow anything well.

Advertisement