Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Maths

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

i just left my maths paper two exam and i'm 100% certain i failed.
    i do ordinary level.
    now, does this mean i can't go straigh into college,(i applied to DIT and IADT for photography and got 400 points for my portfolio, so only need 200 from the leaving) but since i failed maths does this mean i can't go?
    do i have to go to further education first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You don't know for definite that you failed.
    Also check your course requirements online and see if maths is mentioned as an entry requirement, if it's still not clear on their website you could ring up and ask. Just to get the worry off your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I hate to say it, but I am fairly sure you need maths for all college courses. I know there are people on this site that disagree though

Ok I am 100 sure for DCU and Trinity. For UCC it seems that only 99% of courses need it. http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/general/info013.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I got an E in Higher Level Maths, Trinity automatically dismissed me, I didn't have the points for UCD, but NUIG accepted the E in higher maths if I had 3 C2s or higher in other subjects recognised for the course.

Hmm it seems a ton of NUI courses now have a maths exam you can do if you fail the LC one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate_Mathematics

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

If you fail Ordinary level Maths in the Leaving Cert most (if not all) of the Unversities will not look at you. If you fail Higher level most places will (if its an E) allow you in if you meet their requirements for pass by compensation (in other words meet the points + some other requirements). You may also have to sit a maths exam , depending on the course / University.
    The IT's are different (DIT being an example of one) I had a friend who applied for a course in ITT and he failed Ordnary level Maths. ITT wrote him a letter offering him a Maths exam and if he passed it they would give him a place.
    The same thing happeneding to my cousin with NUIM(except my cousin failed H maths).

What I would advise for OP now is Look around the IT's remember the change of mind window during the summer u can change around your CAO's , if your course is offered in the IT's most if not all of them will offer you a maths exam or just accept you anyway.

Something similar happened to myself, I failed Higher level French in the Leaving Cert but I got the points and met all the other requirements for my course in UCD (I even had 55 more points than I needed!) UCD looked at my LC and viewed my E as a D (Passed me by compensation) because of my high grades in other subjects. Failing a subject isnt the end of your CAO chances!

Hope it helps OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Chill out for a sec OP. Results are in August and worrying now will do nothing to help your situation either way. Just keep concentrated on the next subjects you doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

OP for the level 8 BA in photography in DIT you do not have to pass maths. What you need is a minimum of 2 honours in anything plus the required number of points of course.

information is on www.qualifax.ie and www.dit.ie

I dunno about IADT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Koushki

pathway33 wrote: »
    OP for the level 8 BA in photography in DIT you do not have to pass maths. What you need is a minimum of 2 honours in anything plus the required number of points of course.

information is on www.qualifax.ie and www.dit.ie

I dunno about IADT.

Yeah i wasn't sure about this when i looked at the website, i do honors everything else so thanks for that!

I'm not too stressed out about it, i've never been good at maths so i wasn't expecting much, i already have a place in further ed but i rather go straight into college

Thanks for all the replies i feel better about it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

hey guys, is it true that if you fail maths and get the required points to enter your course that you can do the leaving cert maths exam next year by itself - pass and than enter your course??

yeah 100% true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

It depends on the college and course... Trinity automatically reject your application if you do not at least pass all your core subjects. UCD don't mind if you have higher grades in other subjects.
    Though I have heard of people doing maths again and attending college.. so it could be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

errlloyd wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I am fairly sure you need maths for all college courses. I know there are people on this site that disagree though

Ok I am 100 sure for DCU and Trinity. For UCC it seems that only 99% of courses need it. http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/general/info013.html

You're wrong.

Check your COURSE REQUIREMENTS.

Read them.

If they specify maths, you do need maths, (obviously).

If not, you do not need to pass maths if you have the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Claypigeon wrote: »
    You're wrong.

Check your COURSE REQUIREMENTS.

Read them.

If they specify maths, you do need maths, (obviously).

If not, you do not need to pass maths if you have the points.

He's mostly right. About 9/10 of courses in University and 8/10 in IT's have some kinda of maths requirment (D3 in Ordinary being the minimum). Maths is the most important subject in the leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

please do not start worrying about failing maths when i did my leaving 3 years ago i was convinced i failed i am pretty retared when it comes to maths, really i am, i had no teacher from january till the end of the year never did a tap and i mean nothing i ignored it totally and just went into my exam and tryed to do the best i could. and i managed to scrape a d2 so it is very possible you passed, dont worry yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm it seems a ton of NUI courses now have a maths exam you can do if you fail the LC one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate_Mathematics

That statement's really made my day. I'm convinced I failes HL Maths as well, and my first choice is Arts in NUIM. Yay for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    That statement's really made my day. I'm convinced I failes HL Maths as well, and my first choice is Arts in NUIM. Yay for me :D

Have you even bothered to look up this course you're dying to get into and put first ? Apparently not..

"

2HC3 + 4 OD3, English, Irish + a third Language
    "

Requirements for Arts at NUI Maynooth.... No maths required....

Get a clue folks, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Have you even bothered to look up this course you're dying to get into and put first ? Apparently not..

"

2HC3 + 4 OD3, English, Irish + a third Language
    "

Requirements for Arts at NUI Maynooth.... No maths required....

Get a clue folks, really.

Hmmm. I should really think before I speak, shouldn't I? :p

Advertisement