Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat is and always will be a load of arse

• 08-06-2009 12:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, a bit of a broad generalisation there since I haven't played MK vs DC yet and it's supposed to be competent if nothing special.

Anyway had a conversation there with two of the new guys in work/college. They aren't exactly hardcore gamers but play games. Anyway the conversation turned to Street Fighter and I was going on about how great SFIV is but they started telling me that Mortal Kombat is and always was a much better game.

MK1 is one of the worst fighting games ever created with a limited move set and characters that only differed in special moves. MK2 was a decent enough game. Characters still only different by special moves but the juggle combo system was good even if only a few combos per character were possible and some were way over powered. However you have to consider that SSF2T and Samurai Showdown 2 was out at the same time. MK3 replaced the juggle combo system with tekken style 'dial-a-combos' ruining the game and after that the games were rubbish.

Know the guys that I was talking to aren't the most knowledgeable stating that they didn't like street fighter because they hated Nintendo even though it's not a nintendo game and appeared on everything, not just the SNES. They also mentioned the Megadrive port of MK1 and 2 being better than the SNES versions. MK1 on the megadrive had blood but plays terribly with the snes verison very close to the arcade game, although that isn't saying much since the arcade game was awful as well. The SNES version of MK2 had nothing missing and is one of the best arcade conversions ever while the Megadrive verison is atrocious and removed most of the juggle combos.

Anyway rant over. I just hate the MK series and hate that I got caught in the hype and spent a good few weeks wasting my arcade money on MK2 when I should have been playing Samurai Showdown 2 or SF2. Impressionalbe gore obsessed teens can be so dumb sometimes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm not a fan of the series either, thought it was tripe living off it's "fatalities".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And even then they ran out of ideas for fatalities come the 3rd game which instead of gore went for silly when it came to fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

MK isn't rubbish and I'm a hardcore gamer. Granted, from Deadly Alliance onwards, there have been many bugs but as for MK3 still stands as one of the best fighters ever. The speed of the fights were just brilliant and you had to be razor sharp to react to the opponent's moves.

SF definitely requires more strategic play because of the custom combo system but something which has ruined SF ever since 2 has been the poking system. Its just pure bullsh!t luck of the draw fighting (dash -> poke). MK never had that which is where it stands much better.

One thing that MK wipes the floor with is definitely the story (ruined after Deadly Alliance though) and brutality (I don't mean only the brutality :), I mean the gore and all that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

A friend in work swears by MK (he plays a lot of MKvsDC now), I tried getting him into SFIV, but he played one game against the computer in medium difficulty, got his ass handed to him by Seth (should of used gief :rolleyes:) and hasn't played it since.

Different strokes I guess. He likes Soul Calibre and MK, I like Street Fighter and Tekken.

Personally, I found MKvsDC horrible... quicktime events!!!... in a fighting game!!!... really midway? what where they thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sweep, uppercut, sweep, uppercut, sweep, uppercut, sweep.....

Sub Zero was really the only decent character from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a dreadful unbalanced fighting game. Every character plays exactly the same with the same set of moves only differentiated by 2-3 special moves which makes for some really poor balancing, liu kang with his assortment of fireballs and kicks is by far and away the best while other characters have some nasty bugs and exploits. The game may be fast but there's absolutely no finesse and there is usually very little in the way of tactics or strategy.

I disagree about MK3, I think it's a woeful game. The juggle combos made MK2 need a little bit of skill and allowed you to create your own combos to a very limited degree. The dial a combos in MK3 didn't need any skill to pull off and there was only the set combos you could use. it played like Mk2 without it's interesting combo system. The poking system is fine and part of the SF game and I'd rather have it (I've no problems with it) than the borken mess of MK with no feck all tactics required.

Street Fighter may have one of the stupidest stories ever but the mortal kombat story is equally as appalling and laughable. As for the brutality, the blood always looked stupid and as I said the fatalities got dreadful after MK2. I'd rather a good playable game than gimmick blood which for me is all it had going for it. I much prefer the more realistic gore in Samurai Showdown 2 especially the artirial sprays you get sometimes as a reward when you finish your opponent in a spectacular way.

This is based on the all the games up to and including deadly alliiance by the way. Never bothered after that and only bothered with the others out of curiosity and the fact that I got deadly alliance free.
    He likes Soul Calibre and MK

Was going to shout button mashers then you mentioned tekken :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Was going to shout button mashers then you mentioned tekken :P

ever game has its button mashers. I won a few rounds in SFIV at the start by just mapping turbo to honda, chun-li, blanka and gief. All of them can be used by button mashers against scrubs.

However, like in tekken, good players will know how to defend against this and counter, button mashing only gets you so far in any fighting game.

That being said, since 5 I haven't played a lot of Tekken, mainly used to play a lot of Tekken 3. Might rent Tekken 6 to see if it's changed before I decide whether I'll buy it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For the last time, Tekken is not a button basher.
    Excepting Eddy, but even scrub Eddy can be beaten with backdash -> punish.
    And dial-a-combos don't really exist - just some combos are easier/more damaging to do, so you'll see them more often.

Having said that... Tekken 6's Bound combo system is bringing dial-a-combos back -- kinda.

Ah I'm being mean on Tekken. I never liked the game but do realise it can be played to a high standard, well tekken 3 and 5 can. I just think that there's just far too much information to be taken in before you can even expect to play tekken at any sort of high level and find the effort isn't worth the reward.

As for MK, it maybe the laughing stock of the fighting game community but it's simplicity means even I can enjoy MK2 with mates and beer especially since we have made musical pieces that we singing along to the rhythm of the inputted specials. It may telegraph whats coming but it annoys the newbies and seems to be the funniest thing ever when under the influence.

My favourite character when drunk, shang tsung and his triple fireballs.

back, back, forward, foward, punch
    de de dun dun swoo! swoo! swoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Every MK game has been horrible including MKvsDC.
    Leprekaun wrote: »
    SF definitely requires more strategic play because of the custom combo system but something which has ruined SF ever since 2 has been the poking system. Its just pure bullsh!t luck of the draw fighting (dash -> poke). MK never had that which is where it stands much better.

what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

For years I looked back at Mortal Kombat from my childhood and saw it as a decent game, always thought SF2 was better but I respected MK.

Time went by and then I got into actually playing fighting games again and playing them properly and online and I was amazed at how deep street fighter was etc etc and utterly fell in love with it.

A mate of mine has Mk2 on the PS3. I was big into 3rd strike at the time and he suggested playing MK2. I played it and felt like vomiting all over the game and then taking a dump on it. (lucky for my mate, it was downloaded onto his HD :p)

I was shocked at how bad it was. Just goes to show you really have to know fighting games properly before you can judge these things.

The difference in quality between the two brands of fighting games is unbelievably huge, yet they get compared to each other all the time.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    For years I looked back at Mortal Kombat from my childhood and saw it as a decent game, always thought SF2 was better but I respected MK.

Time went by and then I got into actually playing fighting games again and playing them properly and online and I was amazed at how deep street fighter was etc etc and utterly fell in love with it.

A mate of mine has Mk2 on the PS3. I was big into 3rd strike at the time and he suggested playing MK2. I played it and felt like vomiting all over the game and then taking a dump on it. (lucky for my mate, it was downloaded onto his HD :p)

I was shocked at how bad it was. Just goes to show you really have to know fighting games properly before you can judge these things.

The difference in quality between the two brands of fighting games is unbelievably huge, yet they get compared to each other all the time.
    You should have thrown his console out the nearest window.

Then vomitted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

OK so the wisdom of experience lets us say that MK sucks monkey nuts, but you have got to admit it definitely had the wow factore when it came out originally. I rememer groups of people hoarding around the machine just to see a fatality. OK so its a cheap thrill but served its purpose at the time!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Street Fighter 2 relied on intense gameplay, varied chartacters, great graphics and instant appeal.

Mortal Komat relied on shock value. Nothing more. MK2 was good enough, but everything after that has been rubbish. Compare that to SF Alpha, ST3S and SF4. No contest.

Sagat06 wrote: »
    OK so the wisdom of experience lets us say that MK sucks monkey nuts, but you have got to admit it definitely had the wow factore when it came out originally. I rememer groups of people hoarding around the machine just to see a fatality. OK so its a cheap thrill but served its purpose at the time!!
    I actually still occasionally look back on Youtube vids of the finishers. Friendships ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jim wrote: »
    You should have thrown his console out the nearest window.

Then vomitted on it.

And then took a dump on it too eh? hehe
    Sagat06 wrote: »

Ah yeah it did for sure alright. I'll admit that no problem.

Advertisement