Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Domeestic Wiring

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was just wondering could anyone recommend a good book or website to me. I will be building my own house in the near future and I hope to do all the electric wiring myself. I am an electric engineer, with some wiring experience but no experience of domestic circuits from scratch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

themullet wrote: »
    I was just wondering could anyone recommend a good book or website to me. I will be building my own house in the near future and I hope to do all the electric wiring myself. I am an electric engineer, with some wiring experience but no experience of domestic circuits from scratch.

I'm not sure if its still the case, but you used to be able to certify the house yourself, as long as :-
    1) ESB connection is in your name
    2) You hold a higher level electrical engineering degree

You had to send proof of both of the above off to RECI, and they would issue you with the required paper work to be filled in for the installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭themullet

Yes that's correct. That is still the case.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The best book you could get are the ETCI wiring regulations.

You should look at the link below and you will see that some of the regulations are changing soon:
    http://www.voltimum.ie/news/8272/infopro.profnews.voltimum/ETCI-Fourth-Edition-of-the-Irish-National-Wiring-Rules-ET101---Important-Changes.html

I am sure you will be up to the job, but knowlage of new products can save time, money and make the finished job better. Post any questions/ideas on this forum, there are some very experienced posters here with great ideas.

Advertisement