Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outdoor electrics

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

i'm sure this question has been asked before, but i couldn't find anything via the search that matches what i want to do.

i've just built a pond outdoors, which needs power for a pump + filter. it's 20-25m from the kitchen, so that's the closest electrical circuit. when ordering the pump i got a nice 1-in 6-out outdoor switch with illuminated buttons that will go somewhere near the pond for ease of switching lights / pump / filter on + off.

the plan is as follows:

take a spur off the kitchen ring-mains into a junction box (indoors) with standard twin+earth (heavy gauge) into a junction box near the outside wall. run SWA 2.5MM 5-core `down to the pond (as i said ~ 25m) into my nice switch. run a length of SWA (about 8m) 1.5mm 4-core over to the pump and filter (so they can be switched individually). use the first 2 switches for the pump + filter respectively, and then run lighting off the 3rd switch (this will go a-top a pergola to be built a little later). this leaves me 3 spare switches on my switch box (i was thinking of one of those robus outdoor sockets for another switch). i then have 2 switches for expansion at a later stage if required.

i will also be powering a shed further down the garden at a later stage, will this 2.5mm SWA suffice, or should i go up to 4mm?

any questions or clarifications, just ask....

thanks,

dave.

Advertisement