Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing veg in pots etc.; what can I plant now?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm moving to a new house that has a large back yard however it is just concrete and decking. I'm therefore planning to try growing vegetables in pots and containers, I've found a lot of general information on that, but I don't know what I should plant and when. So is there anything I can plant between now and September that might grow successfully in a container? Apart from herbs, as I already have a herb empire :) Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

Hi,

I planted some broccoli raab in a pot yesterday, it is mature in 60 days, and you can plant it up until the end of September. My plan is to plant a few seeds every two weeks and save money on veg.

I think you can also plant winter cabbages later on in the year. Plus you can plant 'earlies' potatoes for a christmas harvest.

You can plant onion and garlic in autumn for the following spring.

Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just go to the garden centre and look at the various seed packets, they'll all give you timings for indoor/outdoor sowing and harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

roweeeeena wrote: »
    I'm moving to a new house that has a large back yard however it is just concrete and decking. I'm therefore planning to try growing vegetables in pots and containers, I've found a lot of general information on that, but I don't know what I should plant and when. So is there anything I can plant between now and September that might grow successfully in a container? Apart from herbs, as I already have a herb empire :) Thanks!

Almost anything really that can be planted in the ground providing it's given the correct care.

Beans and peas, lettuces, beetroot, parnsips, carrots, potatoes, in fact anything you fancy :) Oh and salad leaves. I planted some in a pot on Thursday, went away for the weekend and the pot is full of baby greens literally after a couple of days :eek:

Advertisement