Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eligibility rule change - Benefit Ireland?

• 08-06-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

It seems they've removed the age limit from the rule where a player could only change his nationality until hes 21!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0608/ireland.html

What do people make of it?

IMO I reckon we should try and tempt SOME players like those mentioned in the article e.g. Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble, Jamie O'Hara and Anton Ferdinand to consider the irish way of life :). They may not be 100% irish but

If they want to play for Ireland and as long as they show effort while wearing the Irish jersey I'd be happy to have them!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

IMO I reckon we should try and tempt SOME players like those mentioned in the article e.g. Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble, Jamie O'Hara and Anton Ferdinand to consider the irish way of life :). They may not be 100% irish but

If they want to play for Ireland and as long as they show effort while wearing the Irish jersey I'd be happy to have them!
    NO NO NO NO NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

if they were the ones to initiate anything, then maybe.

not until after this current campaign is over though, wouldn't be fair on the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Why not?

I'm not saying we should take everyone but they're are some areas of the team we could use the extra options. E.g. Midfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Anton Fernand isn't better than Dunne, O'Shea or St Ledger so no need for him.

Nolan turned us down on many occasions before, so he should be forgotten about.

Noble could be a good player for us, but then again he played against us last year in Cork and scored for England. Don't want to see him playing for us.

And O'Hara doesn't qualify to play for us because its his great grandfather who was Irish. Crap anyway.

Now if you could find a decent left full

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Why not?

I'm not saying we should take everyone but they're are some areas of the team we could use the extra options. E.g. Midfield!

Were discussing this on the Bulgaria match thread. I agree here. If for example Noble and Nolan were available, why wouldn't we play them ahead of Whelan and Andrews? Would help in increasing the pool of available players to Trap as well.

• Advertisement

Why not?

If they have worn the English jersey they should stay English.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Anton Fernand isn't better than Dunne, O'Shea or St Ledger so no need for him.

Noble could be a good player for us, but then again he played against us last year in Cork and scored for England. Don't want to see him playing for us.

And O'Hara doesn't qualify to play for us because its his great grandfather who was Irish. Crap anyway.

Now if you could find a decent left full

Kyle Naughton of Sheff Utd is eligible i think, right full, I'm sure JOS wouldn't mind moving over to the left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Isnt there a young irish full back at Wolves, supposed to be a decent prospect as well I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nah, nah man. All that England stuff. Pure misunderstanding, mate. I've always wanted to play for Republic ov Ireland innit. Can't wait to train in Belfast, can I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CHD wrote: »
    NO NO NO NO NO

HAng on. Is it not the managers responsibility to pick the best squad available?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    HAng on. Is it not the managers responsibility to pick the best squad available?
    Seriously? Pick players who have represented England already?

What have england specifically got to do with it?
    The rule is there to be used and it's only for players who havent played above youth level for another country

Should Wales have told Giggs to sling his hook and go play for England.
    I assuem, this will be treated like the Stephen Ireland thread in that if a player whos better than anything we have shows an interest the red capet will be rolled out and he can walk on who he likes?

Is this just your opinion when it suits?

Boo hoo tbh. Your there to win, you field your strongest team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

as apposed to people who would have represented England if they could but they didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Our most successful period as a football team came with a few English players and a Scot with a knack of scoring important goals.

Keep an open mind.

What have england specifically got to do with it?
    The rule is there to be used and it's only for players who havent played above youth level for another country

I assuem, this will be treated like the Stephen Ireland thread in that if a player whos better than anything we have shows an interest the red capet will be rolled out and he can walk on who he likes?

Is this just your opinion when it suits?
    I was talking about Stephen Ireland in that post in another thread.

This thread is about calling up people who are regulars in Englands U-21 squad. They are not Irish and calling them (Noble, Ferdinand etc. ) up to our national team would be pathetic. Just because i was right in the S.Ireland thread and you were wrong your now nit picking in here at my post. lol at you.

When it comes to picking your strongest squad yes pick S.Ireland and no don't pick youths who are English and have played for England U-21's for the last 2 seasons and will be going to the Euro's with them this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

If this rule is applied to the Irish setup we truly will have England B, with very little room for Irish players, whether they play for an Irish club or an English fourth division outfit.

It will cement the distancing of the team from the country it purports to represent. I suppose that, on one level, it will be more honest.

Trilla wrote: »
    as apposed to people who would have represented England if they could but they didnt
    I don't like it but if they havn't represented them ever then its not as bad. I'd Prefer Irish people representing Ireland.

This thread is about calling up people who are regulars in Englands U-21 squad. They are not Irish and calling them (Noble, Ferdinand etc. ) up to our national team would be pathetic. Just because i was right in the S.Ireland thread and you were wrong your now nit picking in here at my post. lol at you.
    How can I be wrong on a matter of opinion?

I don't like it but if they havn't represented them ever then its not as bad. I'd Prefer Irish people representing Ireland.

How Irish do they have to be to be allowed into the squad? Or is the only reqiurment that they not be English?

We're talking about the difference in where they decided to lay their hat when they were kids.

Do you think Wales should have rejected Giggs?

Like i have said above, if they have represented a country they should have to stick with that country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Well, I don't think we should be talking of players who currently represent England at underage level. But I wouldn't be opposed to taking a player who played for England at underage before and has since fallen through the cracks. Like for example Jon Macken, who didn't work out but same idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If they want to play for us then they should be allowed. If they are picked and then prove themselves to not be particularly motivated to play for Ireland then drop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

and how would he have played for england, seeing as he isnt elligible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heard about this today. This could have major implications, especially with the North/South situation too surely?

Personally I have no hang-ups with the idea. If Leon Best is deemed good enough for the squad then why not the likes of O'Hara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Noble and Kyle Naughton would be good additions, young good players! if they're good enough they're Irish enough in my book......others mentioned there are either past it or not good enough.

As for the "they're not Irish" quote....obviously there's a blood line there or they wouldn't have been mentioned, I personally have many relatives in England who are 2nd 3rd and even 4th generation Irish who consider themselves as much Irish as English

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I say bring in who we can, its not as if podolski is german or deco is portuguese, both those nations have benefitted from those players, why can ireland not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

McSheffery ohhhh he comes from coventry and he is better than henry mcsheffery oooooooohhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Heard about this today. This could have major implications, especially with the North/South situation too surely?

Personally I have no hang-ups with the idea. If Leon Best is deemed good enough for the squad then why not the likes of O'Hara?

lay off leon best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

event wrote: »
    and how would he have played for england, seeing as he isnt elligible?

He wasn't eligible no,

but i think he meant more in terms of he had played schoolboy football for England, therefore he had kind of pinned his colours,

Obviously Wales were not gonna say no,

Which is why i wouldn't say No to any player qualifying to play for the Republic once they improve the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I think it's pointless having patriotic notions regarding how Irish you have to be to represent Ireland. Having an Irish parent/grandparent, having the right to an Irish passport and having Irish blood is enough for me. Furthermore, the players mentioned won't be picked if they don't want to be picked or if they aren't deemed to have put in the effort.
    Henceforth, the situation can only improve the pool of talent available to represent the country and thus, bring more success to the nation, which has to be a good thing.
    The will and ability to play for Ireland is enough for me and obviousy, enough for Trap too. Whether a player has pulled on the English shirt and played for England isn't all that relevant, I don't feel. There's such a thing as dual nationality, being both Irish and English. Being both Irish and English means someone has the right to wear both shirts and represent both nations.

Also, a name that hasn't been mentioned is Gary O'Neil. Proven premiership midfielder, who would do a job in the middle of the park. A situation not too dissimilar to Steven Reid, who also represented England at under-age level, but in spite of this, has been a model player when wearing the green jersey. Furthermore, he probably would have been picked for England's senior side on the basis of his 05-06 form.

I also expect loads of other names to crawl out of the woodwork, as in players that the FAI were unaware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

SectionF wrote: »
    If this rule is applied to the Irish setup we truly will have England B, with very little room for Irish players, whether they play for an Irish club or an English fourth division outfit.

It will cement the distancing of the team from the country it purports to represent. I suppose that, on one level, it will be more honest.

I actually empathise with this point of view. I can't see it happening though. Surely the top brass in the FAI won't let it happen because then Irish-born players, who have played football as youngsters in Ireland won't be gaining Irish caps. The whole grassroots system would be pointless.

Furthermore, generations will pass and the sons of Jamie O'Hara and co. won't be able to play for Ireland as they'll be streching back to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

McGeady represented Scotland at underage level didn't he? Should we really be so picky here.

That said, not Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ekels wrote: »
    I actually empathise with this point of view. I can't see it happening though. Surely the top brass in the FAI won't let it happen because then Irish-born players, who have played football as youngsters in Ireland won't be gaining Irish caps. The whole grassroots system would be pointless.

Furthermore, generations will pass and the sons of Jamie O'Hara and co. won't be able to play for Ireland as they'll be streching back to

ahahaha, the FAI caring about the grassroots... brings tears to me eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Ekels wrote: »
    Surely the top brass in the FAI won't let it happen because then Irish-born players, who have played football as youngsters in Ireland won't be gaining Irish caps. The whole grassroots system would be pointless.
    The whole point of the schoolboy/youth system currently appears to be send people to England, where most end up in the lower leagues. But that's ok. We have the killer combination of GAA and the Boys in Green to stop us having to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Irish players for the Irish team.

English players for the English team.

Spainish players for the Spainish team.

etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Irish players for the Irish team.

English players for the English team.

Spainish players for the Spainish team.

etc....

Not sure why we should be so fast to say that though.

Plenty of Irish people weren't born here, and lots of other countries have similar players.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic could've played for Bosnia, there's a rake of Dutch lads who could play for Morocco, plenty of English lads can play for us.

I'm not in favour of roping in every journeyman pro we can, but surely picking the best available player in each position should be our priority...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Could this not go the other way too? i.e. great players that would normally have played for us ending up playing for other countries.

I can imagine the FAI would be much quicker to snap up young eligible talent than the FA, but it's still possible.

Ireland is a little more embarrassing than some of the other examples as the used personal national links to declare for bigger footballing powers, i assume, in the first instance.

It's a little different to an entire country constantly on its hands and knees to the neighbouring footballing superpower, hoping that when some of the players have been roundly rejected by their own countries, they might turn out for Ireland.

A footballing superpower that the majority of the football public here spends its time hating, unless we can scab a few of the their 'B' rejects.

I'd be personally in favour of eligible Irish-descendant players declaring for Ireland if it's done at a younger age. Not when you turn down Ireland, and then change your mind just because you can't break into the English team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

but surely picking the best available player in each position should be our priority...

Its a National team not a club team, your not supposed to go and find someone in another country to play for you cos they are better than the irish equivalent.

International transfer fees next.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its a National team not a club team, your not supposed to go and find someone in another country to play for you cos they are better than the irish equivalent.

We're not supposed to lower oursleves to begging players that dont want to play for us either............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I consider myself an Ireland supporter, I go to the home games, and watch the away ones on the sweaty box. If this led to another generation of plastic paddys I don't think I could generate this support in myself.

• Advertisement

This is kind of the key for me. Same thing as Stephen Ireland. What happened to some modicum of dignity, pride and principles at international level?

Should the country prostrate and embarrass itself for an improved team at all costs?

Is that what international football is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

International transfer fees next.

It's one thing to find someone, but maybe others will offer to play for us now.

I'd not complain if that happened.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,420 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dont think this will make much difference tbh, if a player is really talented they'll fancy their chances of playing for england, which leaves us with the standard we have now anyway.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

So people don't really care if it is Ireland, as long as its labelled as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just play for whoever you want, actually every four years we could have a transfer window and people could switch teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

How Irish do they have to be to be allowed into the squad? Or is the only reqiurment that they not be English?

They should be made do a jig and promise never to play like John Macken ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Don't like this myself. What's the point having an 'Irish' team made up of token Irishmen? Anton Ferdinand is from Peckham, he's a Cockney lad through and through. About as Irish as Queen Liz herself. Not an option.

I wouldn't touch Nolan at this stage. He turned us down us down before, and I wouldn't go chasing after him now. If he agreed to join us now he'd clearly be just hopping on the bandwagon with a view to playing in a world cup so fcuk him. He wanted to play for England (that's why he turned us down) so he obviously feels English in his heart. That's what matters.

eoin99 wrote: »
    Were discussing this on the Bulgaria match thread. I agree here. If for example Noble and Nolan were available, why wouldn't we play them ahead of Whelan and Andrews? Would help in increasing the pool of available players to Trap as well.

Because they're not Irish perhaps? Nolan turned us down, Noble is a cockney lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

If there are players eligible for Ireland who want to play for Ireland and are better options than what we already have available then they should obviously be called up. We don't have the luxury of being choosy about who we can turn down. Look at England who have a goalkeeping crisis. They are/were considering coopting Almunia as a naturalised English citizen. If the big nations are up to those tricks we need to keep our options open too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Cool........... I wonder are there any lads from Argentina we could call up, what with all the Irish missionaries over there in the past. Maybe Riquelme has a bit of Irish blood in him after all? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch Nolan at this stage. He turned us down us down before, and I wouldn't go chasing after him now. If he agreed to join us now he'd clearly be just hopping on the bandwagon with a view to playing in a world cup so fcuk him. He wanted to play for England (that's why he turned us down) so he obviously feels English in his heart. That's what matters.

surpirised people are saying nolan has turned us down so dont go chasing him, guess that solves the steven ireland situation then

• Advertisement
Advertisement